What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Ground anchors for tiedowns

Draker

Well Known Member
Not sure if this is RV-related-enough for VAF, but can anyone offer any recommendations or reviews of permanent ground-anchors that can attach to a concrete floor? Looking to permanently install tiedowns into existing (already poured) concrete.

Some web searching produced a few (not sure if I can post em here) that look decent, are low profile so you can drive over them, but I'm not sure how strong they are. They look like they're mostly made for chaining up motorbikes. I'm not sure they could, for example, securely hold back an RV doing a full-power runup.

Any reviews would be very appreciated!

Any 1/2" or larger quality wedge or sleeve-type anchor should be more than adequate. Those will sit flush with the floor, but have a tendency to collect dirt over time if left open.

Hilti makes excellent industrial type fasteners that will anchor a stud into concrete. Those will hold up tons...literally. Used those at work, but you have to use their adhesive and follow their instructions to the letter. No shortcuts. But that leaves a stud exposed that can be a tripping hazard.

As far as tying down a plane for a run-up, most people just use some tie-down straps and latch onto a trailer hitch, or even loop it around the tires of a car in a triangle arrangement. But do what makes you happy.

There is an anchor already in the floor of the hangar that I used to pull down on the tail when working on the nose wheel of the RV 10.

Simple expansion lug for 1/2" lag bolts, 3/4" concrete drill bit in hammer drill was used to install it.

You could duplicate as needed outside to create parking spots.

McMaster (or Lowes) sells glue in concrete anchors in both 3/8 and 1/2" sizes. Very similar to the strong ties posted above. We used them to anchor heavy machinery and test rigs all the time.

Something like this would allow you to thread in a 3/8 eye bolt and hook a chain up to it easily. It's not a glue in, so you'll need the installation tool too.
https://www.mcmaster.com/product/97082A041

Last edited:
Back