What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Size Matters

Plumbmaster

I recently sold my beloved RV6A "Stubbs" with the goal in mind of picking up a -6 (tailwheel) with an O360 and a constant speed prop. That will take some time it appears, so in the mean time I'm considering other options. Are there any 6'2" RV4 drivers out there? I have a long lower torso and would like some feedback on the comfort on a cross country trip.
More information: when I bought my RV6A it did not have the "Almost a 10" modification. After approximately 45 minutes of flight time, my knee and hip joints wold start to burn from being at the wrong angle.
After I performed the seat modification moving the last piano hinge row on the bottom back 11'4" and the upper sear rail back according to the modification specs (appoximately 2"), I was able to ride in the plane for hours with no ill effects.
So if any tall pilots have experience with the RV4, your input would appreciated.

Last edited:
Have had both

I had a RV6A while I was building a Glasair Super II SRG. Sold the RV6A when the Glasair flew. My mission has changed so I will now sell the Glasair. I currently have an RV4. My RV4 is much more comfortable than my RV6A was. The RV6A was per plans. The RV4 has the seat back moved aft slightly and a taller canopy. I'm 6'4" 195 pounds and plan to take the RV4 touring the country. Fantastic airplane!

I am 6’2” and sit comfortably in both RV4’s I’ve owned, including the current one. On both of these, I moved the front seatback aft 2.8”. I moved the seat bottom hinge aft only 1.8”, so my seatback was slightly more tilted and gave me more head room, which for me is very comfortable. This of course involves several necessary structural mods to carry loads under the new roll bar location. I also have a long torso - 32” inseam - so this works for me. I was stretching a bit to reach the stick in this new position, so I installed an RV14 stick into the stock RV4/RV8 stick base. This puts the stick right where it should be for me. It’s the most ergonomically correct setup I’ve had in any of my 5 RVs that I’ve built and owned.
I met a gentleman from Utah a couple years ago (Bernie) that was doing a similar mod to his RV4. Bernie is 6’7”, and has very long legs, like an NBA star. He moved his seat so far aft that it completely eliminated the rear stick. This required building new side fuselage bulkheads under the relocated roll bar for support. It fits him comfortably. I, like Bernie, have grandkids that love to go flying in the RV4, and that back seat is just fine for them.

6'4", 36 inseam.

Co-owned a bone-stock (interior-wise) -4, and flown on another one several years ago.

I used to take the thick cushion out from underneath me, leaving a thinner one. And had my back against the aluminum seat back without cushions. Both surprisingly comfortable.

Fitment was no issue at all this way. And again, surprisingly comfortable. Even on longer flights.

6-2 210

My -4 was built to the plans

I installed DJ Laurentsen’s cushions but eventually I made my own thinner1/2 inch thick back cushion. The bottom cushion is very firm and ok for about an hour. Use an oregonaero bottom cushion and you can last for the fuel endurance of the plane. When I wear a chute, I use a very thin bottom cushion.

My brother is 6-7 280 ibs and he squeezed into the front seat once for a picture which turned out quite humorous.

Cm

6’2”, 245 pounds, 34” inseam. I have the tall person mod on front seat, and extended the rudder pedals links slightly forward, and took an inch off the bottom of the instrument panel. I just got back from a six hour flight to Florida, and was comfortable all the way, and I’m wearing a parachute.

I recently sold my beloved RV6A "Stubbs" with the goal in mind of picking up a -6 (tailwheel) with an O360 and a constant speed prop. That will take some time it appears, so in the mean time I'm considering other options. Are there any 6'2" RV4 drivers out there? I have a long lower torso and would like some feedback on the comfort on a cross country trip.
More information: when I bought my RV6A it did not have the "Almost a 10" modification. After approximately 45 minutes of flight time, my knee and hip joints wold start to burn from being at the wrong angle.
After I performed the seat modification moving the last piano hinge row on the bottom back 11'4" and the upper sear rail back according to the modification specs (appoximately 2"), I was able to ride in the plane for hours with no ill effects.
So if any tall pilots have experience with the RV4, your input would appreciated.

Wow - I bet Allan never anticipated how far people would run with this mod :D

I’m 6-2 and all my height is in my torso, I moved the roll bar back abou 1 inch and shortened the seat cushion 1 1/2 inches and fit just fine.

Thanks To All

Thanks guys for all the positive input. Ok, a -4 is in the game, Next question;

In my 6A, I liked to go to altitude to avoid the bumps that form in various parts of the country in the afternoon, when, you can literally watch clouds form and mushroom vertically! Climbing up to 13,500-16,500 feet one is able to find smooth air. In order to be able to do this I have a LARGE oxygen tank that I used to put behind the passenger seat. In that location, I was able to periodically check the flow and the remaining content of the tank during the flight.

I'm not so sure of where to put the oxygen tank in a -4.

O2

I have the Mountain High, O2D2 system (works great!!!) and have the tank strapped down in the luggage compartment behind rear seat.

Mike

Back