What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cooling an iPad

Gyrodoug

Well Known Member
I'm interested in seeing what you've done to cool a panel mounted ipad. The mount I have has the hole in the back to attach a hose... Does anyone have pics showing how they brought cool air to the back?

Or, are there ideas out there I'm missing?

Thanks.

X-naut

Although I do not have this myself, I did see it at a show (maybe it was Oshkosh) and thought it was a cool solution. It a bit bulky but I guess it has to be for holding the fans. It's a bit pricey as well but a nice finish. I believe Spruce carries it. https://x-naut.com/

I just ordered a Guardian flush mount for my iPad mini yesterday. It has a molded tube inlet for a cooling tube or fan. To keep things simple, I just bought their 12v fan for an extra $50. I probably could’ve come up with a less expensive fan solution via Amazon, but decided to just go with theirs. The package was right at $200. This is for my Glasair and I’m making the right side of the panel “modular” so I can have it re-cut as the iPads become obsolete.

FWIW, I’ve found that the case can really hamper cooling. I use a heavy duty Otterbox case on my phone in the RV-3 and it routinely overheats while running Foreflight in the summer.

I fly my 9 mostly for cross country flights. The only time I have had my ipad shut down due to heat has been when I’ve left it in the cockpit while we went to lunch or left the airplane for a bit while the plane sits on the ramp in full sun. I learned to cover the ipad with a hand towel when I leave it in the airplane. Problem solved. Have never had it shut down while in flight.

been using the Xnaut, as mentioned by Amir above, for a couple of years now. The iPad mini is well cooled by the Xnaut and held in the right position by a short RAM mount. Having a dual USB outlet close by, one for the iPad, the other for the Xnaut helps. Works perfect for my needs :)

https://x-naut.com/

Here is how I modified my Gizmo to cool the ipad mini.

KXww2-ZCRNXTcAY37RVgORzuTnNNQuwt1lZz6DeWpLs3xyBGAzWMxo_B2tiVA5AiL9-h_vGhaVWp10D6FE-,uO6CnRdEmh6ydhZ3xrMCG1tgsNZPMBx2JGFokfCKeGtPSJyPmqmQ6SScSRvmEolA4B32GTfOQ0_sFsXTUJH_YWMM5sa9-qLN4rsYL1dHS8An-n1CsNmAxHQJFzNud-vvm8H8e4EIJAu9TyUFglTqjkmU-ew3Tb5a033PlP66V7JbsjPSrY6m5VtxZtoy3zOaB0M6fH-7py4NMVqpCRyTqpB9G702baLuEEE9womZquoELfzDcuwb9NLbIaEqKbk7CJMzyBDvYUO_mNxD7i4g0kZsD0pYcpO9euuiusSS7W55oKn424YHlD7QfC8AITsaUoWF___4O5kxf3VgdMprW9d09WpfUEQjkAa5W_DOAxEeWsjol45ijlcFTlg9eXDgNFHvLb3CxJCiTPWWRogkiT5sUkMsU6LIZEroCHndMqYwe4cxvwVPPE_tVCDcotgG7E5ds6oM-sZLTNA3Ck_YyflzetUujc6wTjuQxS90KhpjVL-YshWglQoXxr9jKOW5cjhHGq19VTrmaGtmY7-EQDd_5fxVuqvzry3-BGBPDCvST71UKqGJJCzq5JX4wyDsQmu4v-eXBfyMslye_o1gyzoiRS5HS-9csgypqHvdoyxA=w861-h1148-no

The link didn’t seem to work

Back