What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB & Comm question

QuixoteAg

Well Known Member
Patron
I'm just about decided on efis, etc. and could use some collective wisdom.

Currently I'm looking at:

GRT Sport 10.1
EIS (running an O360 with FI conversion and C/S prop)
GRT Autopilot servos
Trig TT22 Xpndr

looking at the MGL V16 Com with a vega control head or the VAL Com-2KR. any feedback on getting the mgl com to work with the GRT EFIS?

for ADSB, I'm trying to decide whether to go with uAvionix echoUAT/GRT Safe-fly GPS package (I believe this with the xpndr will give me both adsb in and out). it appears that the antenna that comes with it goes on the glare shield? - any feedback on how effective it is?)

OR for ADSB going with uAvionix echoUAT/SkyFYX-EXT -( I believe this will ALSO give ADSB in and out as well but not sure how difficult it is to interface with the EFIS and Xpndr?

Thanks!

I've got the Echo/Safefly 2020 package hooked to an SL-70 transponder. The GPS ant is mounted under my cowling and config'd as #2 GPS for my dual HX's. #1 GPS is my 430W. Safefly locks on inside my hangar while the 430W won't. That's been great for setup and testing as I can see live traffic while making airplane noises. Good package.

Your Trig 22 already has ADSB out. You do not need the Echo for that.

You will need a compliant GPS for the ADSB, the GRT unit will give you that, and feed the EFIS for nav info also.

As long as you are thinking of Trig-----have you looked at their Comm?

The GRT 10.1 Horizon can control both of these remotely.

Last edited:
any feedback on getting the mgl com to work with the GRT EFIS?
!

+1 on Mike's post
All you need for ADSB-out is the GRT safe-fly gps. The TT-22 is a mode S-ES transponder. And the Safe-fly will serve as a position source for the GRT EFIS at the same time.

Not sure what you meant by the above quoted line. The only interaction between an EFIS and a com radio might be if you wanted to remote mount the com, and have the EFIS feed it frequency data. It's certainly simpler to just panel mount the com, with no connections to the EFIS. But for sure, you can do that if you want to with the Trig com.
Just a possible concern: if the need arises to return something to the manufacturer, South Africa is a long way away. (MGL)

Again, I'd suggest following Mike's advice to look carefully at the Horizon model. I think it comes standard with vertical autopilot software (extra in the Sport??), the Horizon can remotely control the TT22 so it frees up panel space.

That leaves ADSB-in. The Horizon will accept data from a number of manufacturer's ads-in boxes, all less than $1K. I use a SkyRadar D2 which works great, but it does require a USB input (which I have on the GRT Hx) but not sure if the Horizon 10.1 has one or not. But there are other options.
Edit: Mike, below, says the Horizon 10.1 does have USB ports, so there you go. I bought my SkyRadar factory refurbished for $500 (it also comes with a built in gps which my Hx uses as a backup gps2). I use 2 (one for each frequency) internal antennas in a -10, works great. The box itself is hidden, no panel space needed. Also sends out data to my iPad (I use WingX, Skyradar has software that works too) via WiFi, that also works fine.

Last edited:
That leaves ADSB-in. The Horizon will accept data from a number of manufacturer's ads-in boxes, all less than $1K. I use a SkyRadar D2 which works great, but it does require a USB input (which I have on the GRT Hx) but not sure if the Horizon 10.1 has one or not. But there are other options.

The 10.1 has two USB ports.

Thanks Everyone - for some reason i wasnt getting that the transponder was already 2020 compliant with just a gps location needed and didnt realize that the 2020 Safe-Fly could supply that.

with that in mind, i can go with a Stratux or similar for ADSB in and save some money for a Garmin 430 or other IFR gps nav source in the future.

was looking at the VAL and MGL radios more for price than any other reason.

as you can tell, i'm not an engineer :)

Last edited:
Thanks Everyone - for some reason i wasnt getting that the transponder was already 2020 compliant with just a gps location needed and didnt realize that the 2020 Safe-Fly could supply that.

with that in mind, i can go with a Stratux or similar for ADSB in and save some money for a Garmin 430 or other IFR gps nav source in the future.

This is the setup in our new project-----Trig/GRT/Stratux.

Not flying yet, but works fine on the ground.

MGL has a US distributor so the distance to south africa is not a concern.

I have the V16 with a skyview system, works great. if the GRT uses sl-30 protocol it should work fine.

bob burns
RV-4 N82RB

Trig T22 and MGL V16

I have an RV-6 with a Trig TT22 mode S transponder with a TN70 GPS source that gives me ADS-B out. Works great. I also have a Skyview EFIS with Dynon Intercom and MGL V16 (with Razor Head) and King KY97a radios. The radios are working good now. Had a lot of RF noise and resonance to overcome. Moving the V16 antenna to the bottom of the airplane seemed to solve the problem.

+1 on Mike's post
All you need for ADSB-out is the GRT safe-fly gps. The TT-22 is a mode S-ES transponder. And the Safe-fly will serve as a position source for the GRT EFIS at the same time.

Another +1 on the SafeFly2020 with the Trig to get ADS-B out. The safefly2020 was easy to install and wire, and is a very solid piece of equipment.

Back