What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

1 1/4 by 16 super fine die for front landing gear shortening

davef

I'm looking for a 1 1/4" by 16 super fine die for extending the threads to shorten the front landing strut 1". If anyone knows where I can rent or buy one, I'd appreciate knowing.

I assume you're complying with the SB. I spoke with Richard about this and apparently it is not as simple as using a die. I usually do stuff like this myself, but after hearing what was involved, I happily sent it to Richard with the $100 that he charges for the work to the nose gear.

Larry

Thanks for the warning. I'll check it out with Richard. We have a jig to drill the new hole and make the modification. Is there quite a bit more?

You CAN use a die, but it ain't easy

In my case, I couldn't remove the front leg for machining new threads for the SB (long story), so I had to do it in place. Details here: http://meyette.us/engineMar08.htm
I sold the dies to another builder who used them to do the same thing. I did not hear how it went for him.

I sold the dies to another builder who used them to do the same thing. I did not hear how it went for him.

I checked with the person who bought my dies. He bought them a few years ago, but only just this Feb used them. He said:

I was able to get it done. I used a couple of 1"x18" pipes for added leverage on the handles.
Thanks again,
Ken

I believe I used some water pipe on my die handles when I did it, too.

dies for sale

The person I sold the dies to saw this thread and asked me to post for him that he'd like to sell the dies. Apparently there's something wrong with his account and he can't post any more.

He said he'd like to get $45. Here is his info. Please contact him, not me, about it.

Ken Morris
President and CEO
M-Systems Inc
5504 Democracy Drive
Suite 220
Plano, Texas 75024
phone (469) 241-9300
fax (469) 241-0800
toll free (866) 421-6797
ken at morris-systems dot com

Thanks Brian and Ken. We received the dies today and look forward to using them Sat. We created a jig that lines up the cotter pin hole. If anyone is interested in the future to use the dies and jig, let us know.
Dave
[email protected]

All went well and we passed the dies on. The process was rather simple just use a lot of cutting oil. We also machined our nose wheel to fit the change. We are very happy with the results.

Back