What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pre-purchase inspection

9KiloMike

I'm New Here
Anyone have suggestion or recommendation for someone to do a pre-purchase inspection on RV-8 in central Nebraska. Ideally would be qualified and able to do short flight in it as well.

Paying for pre-buy exam

First of all, make a "conditional offer" that clearly states the offer is contingent on the aircraft being airworthy as determined by a pre-buy exam done by a qualified individual. Vic Syracuse has a good book that I found helpful in understanding potential problems and what to look for on amature built aircraft.

Even if you're paying for a pre-buy exam on a potential RV it may be still highly profitable to get digital info to share with your local A&P that will be signing off your condition inspection in the future. This reduces surprises later...

Get pictures of all log book pages, as many detailed pictures of the aircraft as possible inside the removable inspection panels/fairings, under/behind the instrument panel, wheels/brakes, wiring.

If the seller is asking a premium for the aircraft, has nothing to hide, and wants a quick sale then it isn't too much to ask for detailed pictures and information.

Next, take the log books and pictures to see if you can verify:

1. Van's Service Bulletins addressed for that model of RV.

2. Engine - get the manufacturer serial number, consider manufacturer ADs and applicability, your A&P will be concerned about these. Know what they think about each of them that apply, especially if they aren't complied with.

3. Propeller - get the manufacturer serial number for the blades and hub (if constant speed). Know when the prop was last IRAN'd, resealed, or looked at by a prop shop. If the prop was installed used there might be significantly more hours on the propeller than the airframe and engine.

4. Magnetos. If mags are involved its important to know when they were last inspected/serviced. If they were installed used this is definitely a factor. Many RVs have less than 500 hours on them and are sold after 15 years of ownership by the builder. Mag maintenance is often overlooked.

5. Electronic ignition - if EI is involved, know the generation of the system installed and the issues that faced these earlier models. For example, PMags are very reliable today, but a few years ago there were many issues that caused problems and have since been resolved.

6. Fuel and oil hoses - Fire Wall Forward - check the type of hoses and installation date. Consider the fact that they may need to be replaced with lifetime Teflon hoses or new 8 year limited Aeroquip hoses.

7. Oil analysis - if the seller had been doing oil analysis it would be helpful to see a copy of the latest report along with the history.

8. Oil change history - this can quickly reveal the overall maintenance practices of the previous owner and is simple to verify in the engine log book. Also, note if the lower oil sump screen had been cleaned at least annually, then replaced with a new crush washer and safety wire.

Airworthiness concerns should be placed on a list and the seller given the opportunity to resolve those issues before the sale. If not resolved, it might be advantageous to purchase the aircraft at a reduced price and fix the issues yourself so you know they are done to your (and your A&P's) satisfaction.

A general "squawk list" is a helpful communication tool to work with the seller on a price that is fair for both parties.

Good luck and enjoy the hunt. I looked closely at FIVE (5) RV-7s before I found one that I was willing to purchase. I paid a fair price for a 16 year old aircraft, then sent out the magnetos, ignition harness, c/s prop and put on new FWF hoses to make it mine, maintained the way I wanted.

Pre-purchase

Thanks guys, appreciate the info and the welcome to VAF. Have been reading a lot of the information on VAF over the past few months and learned a lot.
We bought Vic Syracuse's book which has been very useful, and will check with him as well regarding inspection.
John

Back