What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dynamic balance HR2 propeller

floridawing

Well Known Member
Hello, I am having a dynamic balance on my propeller soon. I will chock the mains, tie down the tail wheel before doing the runup. I would appreciate any other information. I don't want it going over on it's nose. Thanks alot!

When we do a power run on Mustangs or Corsair, we tie the tail to a fire plug and then we DO NOT Chock or use the brakes.... If the rope breaks, with chocks or brakes, it would be on it's beak.... Tie the tail and let the rope stretch, if some thing breaks it will roll forward, not over.......

When I balanced my Rocket, I did the same thing... Just tied the tail and then let it pull on the rope....

Doug Rozendaal
F1 Rocket

When we do a power run on Mustangs or Corsair, we tie the tail to a fire plug and then we DO NOT Chock or use the brakes.... If the rope breaks, with chocks or brakes, it would be on it's beak.... Tie the tail and let the rope stretch, if some thing breaks it will roll forward, not over.......

When I balanced my Rocket, I did the same thing... Just tied the tail and then let it pull on the rope....

Doug Rozendaal
F1 Rocket

I have not seen but I have heard that there have been at least one RV that had its tail cone damaged from a full power pull wile tied to the tail spring, a 200hp CS unit will be pulling 1000+lbs at full power. I would tie the tail and have about four guys on the wings and tail to reduce the stress on the tail cone. YMMV be careful and only pull enough power to get to the desired RPM.

Helped a club member

balance his large three blade Hartzell on a Lancair with a 540 in it:eek:. I was concerned about the strength of his tail wheel attach structure, so we used two 3" wide tie down straps (with pads for the paint) around the inner portion of the left and right horizontal stab. These were then secured to his vehicle. Chalked the vehicle, and engaged the parking brake with the vehicle in park.

It was still a little scary, but we got to 2400 RPM with no problems.

IMG_20120204_123255.jpg

From experience, I've never seen a meaningful difference balancing above about 2200 RPM. I do "try" to do most at cruise RPM, which for most 4 cyl is around 2300-2400 rpm. On a 6 cyl I would imagine cruise would be the same or lower. If you're worried, then I would suggest doing it at lower power like 2100 rpm and you will be fine, you will still receive the full benefit of balancing.

Back