What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Considering a used RV-4...what to look for?

pancake

Hello,

My 1st post here.

I'm looking at possibly buying an already flying RV-4. Can anyone provide some model specific tips/quirks/ADs or direct me to something online I can study? I don't know if there is anything in particular I should look for. I'm trying to keep the budget at $50k max and would like a nice flying airplane that was built well, no damage history and low time.

I've never sat in one before and have some concerns with fit (although I do fit well in the RV-8). I'm 6'2" tall and 235 lbs. My inseam is 34" so my legs are fairly long. Based on the Vans website the cockpit dimensions of the RV-4 and the RV-8 look similar and I like the RV-4 a lot better (not to mention the lower cost).

Thanks!

Not an expert by any means (just started the -8 empennage 2 weeks ago), but from what I've heard, often low time experimentals can be something to steer away from. I personally would want something with a little more rather than a little less time, as that gives it time to prove itself.

Also, I believe the -4 cockpit is significantly smaller than the -8. I'm sure others on here with much more experience than me can chip in. Good luck!

Lots of -4s in the SEA area. The first thing you need to do is sit in one.

You are really at the max size for the -4. You would need a very thin seat and back rest unless the seat was moved aft when built. A few -4s have this.

34" inseam might not be the problem. It could be sitting height. Depending on the builder the canopy height can vary and there was a change in the canopy shapes at some point over the years. Since you are at the max you may be ok in one -4 and not another.

It would be impossible to list the items to look for in a pre buy for an RV-4 here. What you really need is a builder in your area who has built and flown, preferrably more than one, RV.
There are many details of the specific model that any experienced builder of early models, IE the 3, 4 & 6, that are important. And there are items that are particularly noteworthy on the 4. Do yourself a favor and find an experienced hand in your area. An EAA chapter is a good place to start.
Best,

Don't forget Annual/condition inspections...

You'll also need a friendly A&P for your condition inspections. It would be good to find somebody who's not afraid of homebuilts sooner rather than later.

Good luck

John

Great advice, thank you. I?m surprised that the RV-8 cockpit is that much larger because according to the website it looks similar. I?ll look around to see if I can find one to try on for size. I really would like to build an -8 but I?ve never built before and honestly don?t know if this is a project I could do on my own.

Also, I like the -4 a little more because it is lighter and should be more responsive.

buy/build

Its funny but I'm in the same situation. I figure if I find a flying 4 that I like and I really enjoy the airplane, then building one may follow?! I am looking for a project but would like to be fairly sure that its something I would enjoy and complete... I took an EAA weekend sheet metal course last spring which was great but a whole airplane??? :eek:

Dave

BEWARE!!!!!!!!

If you go for a ride in an RV, it will cost you tens of thousands of dollars! I did a flight review for a guy about a year ago in an RV-6, so far its cost me over $3k, with plans on spending tens more!

Don't say I didn't warn you!!!!:eek:

Hello,

My 1st post here.

I'm looking at possibly buying an already flying RV-4. Can anyone provide some model specific tips/quirks/ADs or direct me to something online I can study?...

I was in your situation a few months ago and I asked the same questions. You can search the RV-4 thread for previous posts on the subject.

Here?s my original thread that was helpful to me;

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=15204

Thanks!

I ordered a set of preview plans for the RV-8 just to review them. I?m not against building, I just don?t know if I have the skill to build an RV. I still like the -4 a little more but I might appreciate the extra room in the -8.

What about the EAA SportAir workshops ?RV Assembly?? Is it worth taking the class?

Thanks!

I ordered a set of preview plans for the RV-8 just to review them. I?m not against building, I just don?t know if I have the skill to build an RV. I still like the -4 a little more but I might appreciate the extra room in the -8.

What about the EAA SportAir workshops ?RV Assembly?? Is it worth taking the class?

I took it, definitely worth it!

As someone else onboard has as their sig. "It doesn't take skill to build an RV, it takes determination." (or something to that effect)

The skills required are not all that hard to get down, a little bit of practice and anyone who can become a pilot can do it. If you want to build one, don't think that a lack of skill will stop you. Good luck!

Maybe I should re-word that...

It's not that I lack mechanical skill (I'm decent with automotive stuff) it's more that I might lack the patience to complete an RV. It looks like it takes approx. 1,500 hours to build an RV-8. I could probably do a kit that only requires 500 - 750 hours but double that might make me lose sight of the end goal.

I don't mean to appear lazy, I'm just trying to be honest with myself.

Maybe I should re-word that...

It's not that I lack mechanical skill (I'm decent with automotive stuff) it's more that I might lack the patience to complete an RV. It looks like it takes approx. 1,500 hours to build an RV-8. I could probably do a kit that only requires 500 - 750 hours but double that might make me lose sight of the end goal.

I don't mean to appear lazy, I'm just trying to be honest with myself.

Quickbuild!

Back