What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sliding canopy problem

papamike

Well Known Member
Plz help talk me off the ledge...

I bent my canopy frame to the specs in the manual. Good 1/16" measurements inside the skins all around, etc. I had read about people bending the frame farther in to allow for the springback from the canopy after it's installed. i decided to stick with the manual.

I sika'd the canopy to the frame.

Now the canopy has spread, and it doesn't slide very well at all. The rollers rub on the outer edge of the tracks. I bought new tracks, thinking I'd move them outboard just a bit. Even with the outside edge of the tracks even with the skin on the forward ends, it's still noisy and not a smooth slide. It does roll, it's just noisy.

I wish I had bent the frame further in, like people suggested.

Anybody have any ideas?

Paul,

Look to see exactly which part of the roller assembly is binding. On mine, I was able to slightly relieve something (can't remember what) in that assembly to fix a similar problem.

Nudged mine in after sikaflex

After I sikaflexed the canopy, I had the same issue..would not slide easily even though all measurements were perfect before. I took the canopy off and laid it sideways on a piece of carpet. I then took 2 pieces of Re-bar and inserted one in the forward frame hole on one side, and one in the other so I could stand on the lower piece of re-bar. This gave me additional leverage to push/pull the canopy frame in ever so slightly so it would slide in the rails properly. Worked well for me.

My sika'd canopy did the same, but it wasn't too noticeable. I considered chamfering the outside corner of each roller, but never got around to trying it.

Same thing with mine

I chamfered the outside edge of the rollers slightly which helped. I also loosened and retightened both tracks. There was just enough play in the screw holes to make a difference. Still a little tight but slides easily now and is getting better with use. Mine isn't flying yet but I may also apply a little grease or similar to the tracks once painted.

Clive Whittfield
Auckland
New Zealand

on mine I found that the roller weldment need to be trimmed, on the bottom under the bolt hole I ground a bevel on the outside lower edge, it was rubbing on the rail.

I installed the Meske slider tip-up kit which has the rollers on tall brackets that allow a tiny bit of scope at the bottom for gently bending them to adjust the roller position. I put a slight S-bend into each one to get the rollers where I wanted them laterally and keep them square to the track base.

Last edited:
Compress

For those reading that are yet to build their sliders. I set my slider up to slide smoothly without the glass. Based on many recommendations I compressed my frame considerably about 1", using ratchet straps. I then clamped the glass in place and tested. Adjustments made before gluing. After gluing I compressed it slightly a couple of times. There is enough flex with the Sika to allow this. The canopy will now slide back on its own. (Tail dragger)

Bottom line for those building, don't be afraid to compress the frame!!! The glass will pull it out farther than you think. From there you can pull it out easier than compressing it.

I believe you can use ratchet straps and compress you frame with the glass on it to fine tune the performance. It worked for me but I only compress a 1/2" at a time.

OK. It's been a little while, but I adjusted the tracks to where the forward ends were just a little bit outboard from the aft ends. In other words, the tracks are not precisely parallel. I really like how the canopy rolls now. One issue I still have is that the side skirts are out about 1/8" from the skins.

Scared me to do it, but I tried to compress the canopy off the airplane, but don't know for sure if it had an effect. I know the canopy is still a little bit wide, and now the left aft pin is a little outboard from where it should be. (See post on my builders log)

The forward edge of the canopy will fit nicely under the fairing for the windshield, and I believe the aft skirts will clean up the aft end. Just concerned that the lack of flushness might be a problem.

Back