What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Closest airport to Wright Pat?

drmax

Well Known Member
Which is the closest GA airport to Wright Pat? Would be a rental car or bus for transportation.

You have a lot of options, Springfield, Moraine, Miamisburg, this is, after all, the birthplace of aviation. ;-). I would begin by looking at ASI, located on the east side of the field at KDAY. They have been good to us over the years.

https://www.airnav.com/airport/KDAY/AV_SALES

Give them a call and see what the transportation options are.

Actually was eyeballing green county-Jackson Regional. Looks a bit out of the way, yet close. Will call them tomorrow. Thx for your input

My son and I went into Green County-Jackson when we visited the AF Museum several years ago. I'd definitely use that airport again if returning. We made reservations for a rental car that was waiting for us at the FBO. If I remember correctly...about a 10-15 minute easy drive to the museum. Here's just a few pics we took.

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Very cool! That'll be the place then. So how much can be seen in a day there? I'm over in Indy so maybe 40 min flt. We'd prolly go when the days are longest.

You can probably get through the whole museum in a day if you move quickly, but I'd plan 2 days if you want to spend time at most of the exhibits. The experimental and presidential galleries are on base, so unless you have base access, be sure to sign up early for one of the bus tours that will take you over. The museum is building a fourth hangar right now that will connect to the missile gallery, so that unfortunately is closed. There is a new space shuttle exhibit in the cold war gallery which may interest some...

Springfield might not be the closest, but having tried both MGY and SGH, Springfield (SGH) has much better service - car rental very easy. About 20-25 minute drive to the museum. If you RON, motel rates are a little more reasonable in the Springfield area.

If calling in advance, ask for Paul and you won't find anyone who will give better service.

FWIW.

Dan

When they mention the "experimental" hangar, don't think EAB! Think X-2, X-3 Stilleto, XB-70, etc! 2 days minimum, I need to go back.

Anyone know if they completed restoring the Avro Flying (sic) Disk? It was in progress last I was there.

WPAFB

When I was there 5 years ago there was another tour through the restoration area, required advance reservations and on Fridays only(I believe)

I believe that the goal of the Air force Museum is to have 1 of every thing they have ever flown!

AF Museum

A few years ago I was at Wright Pat for a mid-week morning meeting. Meeting was cancelled - so I went to the museum. That early, I had it mostly to myself - maybe two or three other visitors.

Thought I'd wiz through - but really got caught up in deep thought "Wonder what it was really like?" stuff.

Visited very few exhibits - and wondered where all the time had gone.

Both the AF Museum and the Navy Museum in Pensacola are class acts.

Moraine Air Park

You might try Moraine Air Park (I73) they have a courtesy car available which could save you a few bucks. Its located on the south edge of Dayton and if you call George (937-866-2489) he can set you up.
Val K
RV-8
N81VK

Another vote for Greene County

My son works at WPAFB and a few years ago (2007) I flew into I19 so he could join me for our father-son trip to the P51 reunion (Gathering of Mustangs and Legends) at nearby Columbus Rickenbacker(KLCK).

I'm not saying the others are a bad choice, but I would choose Greene County again based on my experience. YMMV.

Back