What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New (7-23-2014) G3X Products and Features

g3xpert

Well Known Member
Advertiser
We are very pleased to announce new display options for G3X Touch systems. The new GDU 450 and GDU 455 displays are state-of-the-art 7? diagonal, high performance, infrared touch screen displays designed from the ground up to be the highest quality, best performing, and easiest to use displays in the industry.

The new 7" display complements the existing 10.6" G3X Touch display, offering new panel design options and redundancy.

GDU 46X 10.6" and GDU 45X 7" Displays
GDU46X45XImage_02.jpg

Using a very similar user interface, the same controls, and even the same powerful internal electronics as the larger GDU 460/465 10.6" displays, the GDU 45X displays are the perfect way to expand your G3X touch panel. One to three displays of any mix of GDU 45X 7" and GDU 46X 10.6" displays are supported for a G3X Touch system.

Dual GDU 45X 7" Displays
GDU%252045XPFDMFDImage_03.jpg

GDU 45X 7" Display Showing Example Engine Page
GDU%252045XMFDwithEISMain.jpg

The new GDU 45X 7"displays provide the same features and connections (same connectors on back) as the GDU 46X 10.6" displays including wireless connectivity, composite video input, built-in high performance WAAS GPS receiver, built-in SXM weather receiver (GDU 455/465 only) and wireless interfacing to control a VIRB action camera.

The bright, high resolution WVGA 800 x 480 pixel display used on the GDU 45X 7"display uses a similar high strength glass surface to the GDU 46X 10.6" display that resists flexing and prevents "pooling" when touched to result in a premium user experience. The LCD glass is manufactured to be a perfect match to the GDU 46X 10.6" display and provides the same rich, vibrant colors you have seen on the GDU 46X. The same high quality dual concentric rotary encoders are used on both the GDU 45X and GDU 46X displays and are similar to those used on certified G3X system components like the GTN 650/750.

The image below shows the installation dimensions (inches) of the panel cut out and outer bezel for both G3X Touch display options.

GDU45XDimensions.jpg

Also new, G3X Touch offers the benefits of Connext cockpit connectivity. Pilots are offered the convenience of flight planning on a tablet using Garmin Pilot? and the simplicity of wirelessly transferring flight plans via Bluetooth? to the G3X Touch system. A G3X Touch system with a GDL 39/39R ADS-B traffic and weather receiver shares GPS, attitude, traffic and weather data with a mobile device for display using Garmin Pilot. You can have much of the the same data displayed on your phone or tablet that is being used on your panel mount displays.

A well-equipped, 7-inch G3X Touch system, which includes SVX, video input, a built-in WAAS GPS receiver, ADAHRS, magnetometer, OAT probe, interactive mapping and more, starts at $4,599 Minimum Advertised Price.

A single GDU 450 display can be added to a G3X Touch system for $3,400 Minimum Advertised Price. Connext capability via Bluetooth is provisioned in G3X Touch hardware. Full support for Connext and GDU 45X availability is anticipated in Q4 2014. Customers may also take advantage of low database prices starting at $49.99/yr for G3X and G3X Touch. For additional information visit www.garmin.com/experimental.

Come see us at Oshkosh! We have several G3X Touch systems to demonstrate and will be giving seminars every day to answer your questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Connext

Steve,

I saw the press release yesterday about Connext (like Aspen connected panel), and had a question for you.

It seemed to me that users with Connext enabled devices can push flight plans FROM tablets or a G3x system TO a GTN system, and vice versa. Is this correct?

If you have a G3X touch system, will it "talk to" the GTN? It would be great to have the ability to sync flight plans if you have enroute changes. If the G3X can send instructions to the GTN, does the GTN need the FlightBox equipment for communication between the two?

Either way, this is a nice development.

G3X Touch Connext

Steve,

I saw the press release yesterday about Connext, and had a question for you.

It seemed to me that users with Connext enabled devices can push flight plans FROM tablets or a G3x system TO a GTN system, and vice versa. Is this correct?

If you have a G3X touch system, will it "talk to" the GTN? It would be great to have the ability to sync flight plans if you have enroute changes. If the G3X can send instructions to the GTN, does the GTN need the FlightBox equipment for communication between the two?

Either way, this is a nice development.

Hello NTex,

Good question.

Yes, a Connext capable G3X Touch system has a new serial link to the GTN/GNS/GPS IFR navigator from the PFD that speaks "Connext" protocol and is configured as such with new settings available at both ends of the bi-directional serial interface.

Once previously paired, when you power-up your G3X Touch system, your Garmin Pilot phone/tablet (Android or iOS) will automatically BT link to the GDU 4XX display, start receiving data from the G3X Touch system (like GPS/pitch/roll/yaw), and optionally allow you to transfer flight plan(s) from Garmin Pilot to either the GDU or the IFR navigator for either storage or activation and immediate use.

A flashing acknowledgement will show you that a flight plan has been received by the display or navigator, and the pilot gets to choose to accept or reject this transfer and what to do with it.

You can also enter a flight plan on your system and push it back to the Garmin Pilot tablet.

We have our G3X Touch display panels at Oshkosh equipped with tablets so we can demonstrate Connext capability including transfer to GTN 650/750 units installed with those panels for those that want to stop by and let us demonstrate this new capability.

Thanks,
Steve

Question for any of the EFIS manufacturers. Why waste so much valuable screen real estate on the MP/RPM arcs? Everyone I've ever spoken to about this subject would prefer to have larger more readable numbers than the arcs which are generally useless.

Hello NTex,

Good question.

Yes, a Connext capable G3X Touch system has a new serial link to the GTN/GNS/GPS IFR navigator from the PFD that speaks "Connext" protocol and is configured as such with new settings available at both ends of the bi-directional serial interface.

Once previously paired, when you power-up your G3X Touch system, your Garmin Pilot phone/tablet (Android or iOS) will automatically BT link to the GDU 4XX display, start receiving data from the G3X Touch system (like GPS/pitch/roll/yaw), and optionally allow you to transfer flight plan(s) from Garmin Pilot to either the GDU or the IFR navigator for either storage or activation and immediate use.

A flashing acknowledgement will show you that a flight plan has been received by the display or navigator, and the pilot gets to choose to accept or reject this transfer and what to do with it.

You can also enter a flight plan on your system and push it back to the Garmin Pilot tablet.

We have our G3X Touch display panels at Oshkosh equipped with tablets so we can demonstrate Connext capability including transfer to GTN 650/750 units installed with those panels for those that want to stop by and let us demonstrate this new capability.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

To clarify...can a stand alone G3X Touch system (no tablet) now send its flight plan to the GTN?

What version firmware is required on the GTN to enable this functionality?

Thanks!

Hello NTex,

Good question.

Thanks,
Steve

Dear Steve what about if the waypoints in the flightplan on the Garmin Pilot are not included in the GTN database?

Regards,

Question for any of the EFIS manufacturers. Why waste so much valuable screen real estate on the MP/RPM arcs? Everyone I've ever spoken to about this subject would prefer to have larger more readable numbers than the arcs which are generally useless.

I'm not sure if the G3X can change the display options for MP/RPM from an arc to a simple number or a bar w/number, but personally, my brain is keyed to recognizing needle positions on an arc.

I almost always wear an analog watch over digital versions. I'm going to have to get used to reading altitude, VSI, A/S, etc. digitally when I get my bird flying.

That's a good question, and one that folks have tried repeatedly over the years to answer. I guess the short answer is that with our planes and engines (specifically the Fuel Injected and CS folks) they like the analog representation. There have been a whole bunch of engine monitors and digital instruments that have tried displaying just digita, bars, or other graphical layouts and as a whole have had a very poor reception and most have disappeared from the market. Even some of the existing folks have tried alternate layouts, and those too have not been popular. I suppose in time however that the these too will end up being less analog looking and more digital looking as the generations of pilots who have different perspectives on displays begin purchasing these types of items. I guess the short answer for now is that it's what the market demands.

Just my 2 cents as usual.

Cheers,
Stein

I'm going to have to get used to reading altitude, VSI, A/S, etc. digitally when I get my bird flying.

I hear you, 3 1/2 years and 185+ hours and I still use my back up steam gauges instead of the tapes...............................

Brian,

With all the updates continuously coming from Garmin, you're panel is gonna be in a perpetual state of redesign. :)

Just dreaming at this point... That is cheap. Actually doing it cost more and for now I am tapped out!

Steve,

To clarify...can a stand alone G3X Touch system (no tablet) now send its flight plan to the GTN?

What version firmware is required on the GTN to enable this functionality?

Thanks!

Hello Brian,

Another good question.

As you know, the flight planning page on G3X/G3X Touch systems support pilot selectable INTERNAL flight planning (for VFR using internal GPS for navigation) and EXTERNAL flight planning using the IFR navigator.

We still honor those pilot choices with the new capabilities, and this Internal/External selection even has a new meaning in the Connext environment.

Whey you push a flight plan from Garmin Pilot to your system, the display checks this setting to determine if the flight plan should go to the display or to the IFR navigator.

So no, we are not re-defining the meaning of the Internal/External flight planning feature to support IFR flight planning on the G3X Touch display. (At least not at this time.)

You can, of course, just use that great INTERNAL flight planning feature all of the time when you are flying VFR and just ignore the GTN.

Thanks,
Steve

Dear Steve what about if the waypoints in the flightplan on the Garmin Pilot are not included in the GTN database?

Regards,

Hello Hernan,

Good question and I suspect you are primarily referring to user defined waypoints.

User defined waypoints are added to the GTN when included in a flight plan received from Garmin Pilot. If a transferred user waypoint happens to already exist in the GTN user waypoint catalog, the GTN will reuse the existing user waypoint without adding a new one.

If the flight plan includes a waypoint that is not designated as being a user defined waypoint and is not found in the navigation database, then it will be replaced with a ?LOCKD? waypoint so the pilot will recognize that the flight plan transfer was incomplete.

Thanks,
Steve

So no, we are not re-defining the meaning of the Internal/External flight planning feature to support IFR flight planning on the G3X Touch display. (At least not at this time.)

You can, of course, just use that great INTERNAL flight planning feature all of the time when you are flying VFR and just ignore the GTN.

Thanks,
Steve

OK. Now I'm more confused.

Are you saying that you will not be able to do rubber banding changes (or any changes for that matter) of an IFR (on a GTN) flight plan from the G3X Touch, but you will be able to do that from an iPad running Garmin Pilot?

Hello Hernan,

Good question and I suspect you are primarily referring to user defined waypoints.

User defined waypoints are added to the GTN when included in a flight plan received from Garmin Pilot. If a transferred user waypoint happens to already exist in the GTN user waypoint catalog, the GTN will reuse the existing user waypoint without adding a new one.

If the flight plan includes a waypoint that is not designated as being a user defined waypoint and is not found in the navigation database, then it will be replaced with a ?LOCKD? waypoint so the pilot will recognize that the flight plan transfer was incomplete.

Thanks,
Steve

Dear Steve in part yes i would be asking for the user waypoints but here in Chile the Garmin Pilot "Garmin database" include all the waypoints we need as medium and small airports but G3x and GTN have Jeppesen databases that dont include it, i will go to your boot next week with my Ipad mini so we can check what happens.

Best Regards

OK. Now I'm more confused.

Are you saying that you will not be able to do rubber banding changes (or any changes for that matter) of an IFR (on a GTN) flight plan from the G3X Touch, but you will be able to do that from an iPad running Garmin Pilot?

Hello Ed,

Our G3X Touch displays have the Bluetooth interface needed to perform the function of a Connext access point. This is very similar to the function you see being announced for the Flightstream 210 device ($999).

We added a great deal of software to the GDU 4XX displays so G3X Touch customers wouldn't need the Flightstream box if they wanted to interface a Garmin Pilot device to the system to transfer flight plans and share additional data like GPS and AHRS.

We did not, however, significantly change the excellent way in which all G3X systems interface with IFR navigators and use this navigation to fly coupled approaches and enroute IFR.

For those that enjoy using tablets in the cockpit, we hope you find value in this interface, but for those that don't, the same great G3X Touch experience will still be there.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

With thanks we discover last week that your new garmin database for garmin pilot app has all airports here in Chile, but jeppesen database that we use in GTN and G3X has only mayor airports and there is like 300 small airports missing in that database, I think Hernan is talking about that, what happens if we plan to go to a small airpor in our garmin pilot app and then when we transfer the data to GTN or G3X that database doesn't have that airport.

Anyway like users of garmin product outside USA we will request an airport database for GTN and G3X like the one that you have at garmin pilot app.

Cheers,

Fernando

A number takes some time to interpret. An arc /needle is instantly meaningful at a glance with less time and attention taken away from more important tasks.

My 2 cents, an EFIS should be first and foremost a PFD and HSI/MAP

I still prefer large format 3 1/8" tac and MP separate from the glass.

Last edited:
Arcs are not useless

What's useless is the lack of tick marks.

Here's a thought provoker - if analog indications are no good, try flying IFR with numerical read outs of pitch and roll instead of an attitude indicator.

Analog read outs win when:
- the information is changing rapidly
- you want to read the information at a glance and you have no a priori knowledge of the value
- you want to gauge the rate of change
- you want to make a small adjustment and don't want to do the math

Digital read outs win when
- you need precision
- you've got time to read the digits
- an analog readout would take time to get (VOR radial)

It's a tie when
- the value is changing slowly
- you're tracking the value constantly

I think that tapes came in with the first electronic displays when there wasn't room for needles. I've certainly never seen any papers comparing the readability of the two.

There's lots more to it, of course.

Ed
"I do cockpit stuff for a living."

Good morning Ed,

You can absolutely configure tick marks for your G3X engine gauges in any way you choose. This is documented in the G3X installation manual.

Perhaps I might suggest that you guys who'd like debate the relative merits of steam gauges versus digital displays might be better served by starting another thread dedicated to the topic? We were hoping to use this one to provide information and answer questions about our new 7" G3X Touch displays. :)

- Matt

Not really related to the equipment in this thread but any chance the connect type functionality will occur between the Garmin pilot app and the 796 to transfer flight plans?

"I think that tapes came in with the first electronic displays when there wasn't room for needles. I've certainly never seen any papers comparing the readability of the two."

I thought the modern tape-based layout came from HUDs in fighter jets? Or are there earlier implementations of it?

As someone who's done work around Human-Machine-Interface (HMI) in the IT world, I've never understood how the standard HUD layout made it to your standard HDD (Head-Down-Display) unchanged. Reading a ticker-tape when it's right in your line of sight is easy and makes sense. When it's in your panel, not so much, you have to look down and stare ...

Easiest test is: Fly steam gauges, look outside on final. You'll notice that with a standard 6 pack, you can see your speed and altitude without diverting your attention, it's in your field of view. Now take your 6 pack out, and and put in a G3X, Dynon, etc. repeat the exercise. You'll find you can't know your speed or altitude without taking your look away from outside completely.

Oh, BTW: I speak as a VFR pilot (Important note ...). If you're IFR and fly head down anyways, some of these points are not as valid I suppose ...

The human eye and brain will register motion and position a lot easier and faster than reading a number.

I believe studies WERE done, back in the 80'S when car manufacturers tried to get rid of analog readouts in favour of "fancy digital ones" (Notice how that failed? Wonder why ...).

One reason I might consider the Dynon is the 6 pack mode ... Does the G3X have this?

These days you have to go glass in terms of value proposition, reliability, etc ... I'll go glass when I get there because of this, but I'll be giving away some usability ...

As for the G3X, I found nothing stating that the 10 inch version has integrated GPS, which kind of blew my mind. As a VFR pilot, I'd have no desire for a GTN ... I think I read something on the 7 inch promo material that it did have it ... so what's the situation there? Can a VFR pilot do mapping/planning on a G3X system without a GTN?

As for the G3X, I found nothing stating that the 10 inch version has integrated GPS, which kind of blew my mind. As a VFR pilot, I'd have no desire for a GTN ... I think I read something on the 7 inch promo material that it did have it ... so what's the situation there? Can a VFR pilot do mapping/planning on a G3X system without a GTN?

Hello J.F.,

Every display in the G3X system includes a built-in VFR GPS receiver. For IFR use, or to comply with the ADS-B Out requirements as currently written (FAR 91.227), a certified navigation source such as a GTN or GNS unit is required.

- Matt

As someone who's done work around Human-Machine-Interface (HMI) in the IT world, I've never understood how the standard HUD layout made it to your standard HDD (Head-Down-Display) unchanged. Reading a ticker-tape when it's right in your line of sight is easy and makes sense. When it's in your panel, not so much, you have to look down and stare ...

Easiest test is: Fly steam gauges, look outside on final. You'll notice that with a standard 6 pack, you can see your speed and altitude without diverting your attention, it's in your field of view...You'll find you can't know your speed or altitude without taking your look away from outside completely...

The human eye and brain will register motion and position a lot easier and faster than reading a number.

I guess I don't see how a 6 pack is more in your field of view than an EFIS..? While on final I either glance down and look at an ASI or my airspeed box on my EFIS. I also find it hard to understand the concept of how the location (in line of site with HUD or in the panel) has anything to do with understanding - where you say "it makes sense and is easy". If it makes sense in the HUD it makes sense in the panel.

I think the trend deal has been proven long ago to be more easily interpreted by needles vs. tapes. Trend monitoring is an area where I still feel like the EFIS presentation falls short. However, as you stated, this is more of an IFR issue, as I should be outside while VFR using outside visual indications to monitor altitude/airspeed trends - not as much for airspeed, but as long as pitch and power are not changing...

Having done 6-pack/EFIS transitions in both planes and helos, my scan (in vs. out time) is no different - for basic aircraft control. Totally different story for all the gee whiz stuff unless you discipline yourself.:eek:

One thing I have experienced - and maybe I'm just slow on the uptake - but it took quite a while to adjust my brain. I'm talking 30-40 hours, not a couple flights.

Regarding the G3X GPS and ADS-B, I understand that even though the WAAS GPS in the G3X does not comply with the FAR 91.227 requirements, currently we are allowed to use this GPS for ADS-B out, correct?

Thanks!
Russ

Regarding the G3X GPS and ADS-B, I understand that even though the WAAS GPS in the G3X does not comply with the FAR 91.227 requirements, currently we are allowed to use this GPS for ADS-B out, correct?

Thanks!
Russ

Hello Russ,

Yes, this is correct. For now, the WAAS GPS built into every G3X display is all you need to provide position data to the GTX23ES or GTX330ES and receive the benefits of ADS-B Out.

Thanks,
Steve

I guess I don't see how a 6 pack is more in your field of view than an EFIS..? While on final I either glance down and look at an ASI or my airspeed box on my EFIS. I also find it hard to understand the concept of how the location (in line of site with HUD or in the panel) has anything to do with understanding - where you say "it makes sense and is easy". If it makes sense in the HUD it makes sense in the panel.

I think the trend deal has been proven long ago to be more easily interpreted by needles vs. tapes. Trend monitoring is an area where I still feel like the EFIS presentation falls short. However, as you stated, this is more of an IFR issue, as I should be outside while VFR using outside visual indications to monitor altitude/airspeed trends - not as much for airspeed, but as long as pitch and power are not changing...

Having done 6-pack/EFIS transitions in both planes and helos, my scan (in vs. out time) is no different - for basic aircraft control. Totally different story for all the gee whiz stuff unless you discipline yourself.:eek:

One thing I have experienced - and maybe I'm just slow on the uptake - but it took quite a while to adjust my brain. I'm talking 30-40 hours, not a couple flights.

The top 3 instruments of your six pack are much bigger, and they're the only things there. OK so maybe they're at the same physical height, but it's still a cleaner simpler layout. Look at an EFIS screen, and the top row is lettered with information. Your speed is a little number further down, inside a little box, surrounded by a bunch of stuff that's often moving. All this make sit harder to pick out. You get used to focusing on it quickly, but it's still more demanding than just having a big bright white needle just in the right spot in your peripheral vision.

The trend issue is a big one though, because sometimes that's all you need. for instance pick a speed, and then make sure it doesn't change. The easiest way to do that is with trend indicators, not by constantly reading the number over and over again. HUD usually have trend indicators for speed AND altitude. So, again, you're on final, eyes on the runway, you set up your approach speed, now what you want it your speed not to change ... which means NO trend change. Keep your speed trend indicator neutral and you know you're doing good. A ticker tape in a HUD indicates this intuitively, first from the movement of the ticker tape itself (you always see it roll up and down) and the speed trend indicator (often a bar that moves up or down from the central line). Put all that in an HDD, and you know, it's not nearly as useful. Trend that is out of your field of vision is longer really "trendy" (pun intended). you look down, you see your're slowing down because of the trend indicator ... how long has it been doing that? Was it ever more or less? Now I have to read the number ... oops, need some power!

Anyways, people smarter than I have been making these PFDs this way for a while now, so I guess they work, or at least,t hey're not that bad. Still seems we could do better: Van'S community needs HUDs or head-mounted displays ;)

To try to help get this thread back on topic...

SteinAir is about to ship my Garmin GI 260 AOA indicator. This will tie in nicely to a GDU 45X/46X/37X to provide near line of sight lift information.

:)

If This was previously covered, I missed it and apoligize... So my question is how does the panel cutout of the 7" display compare with a Dynon 100?

If This was previously covered, I missed it and apoligize... So my question is how does the panel cutout of the 7" display compare with a Dynon 100?

The 1st post in this thread shows the G45X cutout as 7.46" x 5.39"
Doing a search for specs on Dynon's site shows the D100 cutout being: 6.78" x 4.75"

Bob's question re. analog vs. digital was specifically directed at Garmin's representation of Manifold Pressure and RPM. In this specific case, the analog representations show that you are or are not in the green zone of operation, but the analog "dials" do not include numbers, so CANNOT be utilized for more precise information. In this case, the digital readouts are NECESSARY in order to get accurate MP or RPM information. That being the case, Bob's point is very valid. Furthermore, the digital readouts could be made much larger WITHOUT making the analog readouts smaller... I agree that making the digital readouts larger would make MP and RPM easier to use.

I'm going to have to get used to reading altitude, VSI, A/S, etc. digitally when I get my bird flying.
I started out in aviation on round dials, then went to tapes 11 years ago. I recently changed airplanes and am back to funny round things with pointy things in the middle. I REALLY REALLY REALLY miss my tapes.

It'll take a little while to get used to, but you won't ever want to go back.

But I still like an analog watch. :D

It's already way too late! :)

Saw the unit at Osh and TeamX has done an awesome job with the reversionary features on this smaller screen.

This is the very reason I avoided looking at the new hardware until I finish my plane with the "old" G3X!! It does look attractive.

ps - Great to meet you/wife Brian.

I have a question about the GDU installation kits. According to the installation manual the 10" and the 7" displays use the same installation kit. With this information I ordered two from Aircraft Spruce not realizing that the platenuts are part of a perimeter frame that mounts behind the panel. The frame is for the 10" display. So what is the correct way to mount the smaller display? It seems there is an error in the installation manual and there is another part number for the small display installation kit? Assistance please.

I have a question about the GDU installation kits. According to the installation manual the 10" and the 7" displays use the same installation kit. With this information I ordered two from Aircraft Spruce not realizing that the platenuts are part of a perimeter frame that mounts behind the panel. The frame is for the 10" display. So what is the correct way to mount the smaller display? It seems there is an error in the installation manual and there is another part number for the small display installation kit? Assistance please.

There is a separate part number for that install kit that actually comes with the correct ring for the correct screen...not too hard to get. A quick phone call with a person knowledgeable in those systems would fix that for you! :)

Just an FYI: The "-00" kit is for the large screens, the "-01" kit is for the smaller screens.

Cheers,
Stein

Hello Ray,

Not sure where the confusion comes from, but the Rev. P G3X Installation Manual lists the GDU 45X Installation Kit (010-12150-01) on page 1-8 and the GDU 46X Installation Kit (010-12150-00) on page 1-11.

Let us know if we can help further.

Thanks,
Steve

Back