What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ear plugs for David Clark

Stearman

I've used them in the Stearman now for about a year. They really make a difference! Normal ANR's don't seem to work well in the very loud open cockpit airplanes.

Vic

ordered my second set

I liked them and ordered another set. can't beat the price for quiet.

PIREP - in my ear

I climbed to 12.5K and began a 1K fpm descent, I noticed radio getting quieter. I cycled the radio and checked the volume controls and then swapped headsets while keeping the earplugs in place. Radio volume in headset still low. I thought I had a real radio problem until I removed the earplugs and allowed the pressure in my ear to equalize. Then it was loud and clear. Humm, the pressure could not equalize fast enough in my ear drum with the plugs to allow for good hearing. I am surprised. When low pressure exists in the ear drum you simply cannot hear as well. Something to consider with these.

Last edited:
years

I have been using them for years. Initially with the foamie tips and for the last 4 years with a custom molded insert molded to my ear canal. I will not fly without them!

I have made many fast climbs and descents with no issue. IF I am a bit sweaty they sometimes seal up a bit, but remember that there are so many physiological factors that go into ear blocks. You are lucky it was an easy one. There are ear, tooth, etc blocks.

Remember an ear block on ascent CANNOT be helped with a valsalva as there already exists too much pressure inside the ear. On descent, valsalva often to prevent the ear block and never fly if you have congestion, etc as these blocks can cause max pain if in a tooth or can even blow out an eardrum.

Back