What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH Rocket Drivers Symposium

smokyray

Well Known Member
Guys,
Three Oshkosh Airventures ago, a Rocket "gathering" was organized. It was informal, informative and infused with constructive comments. I propose a second meeting this summer, same venue, new and improved. I will take it on myself to organize and coordinate, maybe even a forum tent after hours.
Any interested Rocketeers respond in kind.

V/R
Smokey

My friend and myself are both flying in with rockets would like very much to attend ( finishing my 9th rocket) would be very interested in what other rocket drivers and builders are doing.

I would participate if it fits in my schedule, but I am very busy at OSH this year..

Doug Rozendaal
F-1

I would be interested if held early in the week. I suggest that we work around Doug Rozendaal's schedule.

Last edited:
Oshkosh get-together

Smokyray - I haven't heard anything lately about the Rocket get-together. I sure think it is a good idea. Keep me posted. Jim Winings

This is the first time I caught this thread. count me in if you are still doing it. We will be there all week.
Ryan

I'll be there all week with my son, Blake. We'll be in our usual spot in the UL vendor campground, directly adjacent to the UL runway. You can find our campsite by the U.S. and Jolly Roger flags flying over it.

(Camping in the UL vendor campground and pirate flags have little to do with Rockets, but you can't fight 25 years of tradition.)

Smoky, if I can help, feel free to call my cell while at Osh. 812-449-0230

Sad but true...

Guys,

Unfortunately, I will be working during OSH this year and unable to attend. I would like to pass the torch of the Rocket get-together to someone who would like to run with it. My planned objectives were to address:

1. Safety issues, past present and future. (NTSB reports for RV's and Rockets)
2. Builder gripes. How to improve?
3. Group insurance potential. RV group rates for Rockets (AUA Insurance quotes)
4. Rocket gathering 2013 (where and when?)
5. F-1 Boss Mark Frederick guest speak? :)

Let me know if you would like to chair the meeting...I recommend Monday or Tuesday morning so Doug can attend. The Homebuilt Cafe was my plan for a venue.

V/R
Smokey

Well, somebody's got to step up...

I propose exactly what Smoky said to do. Let's meet at the Homebuilt Cafe at 10AM Tuesday morning. If the Homebuilt Cafe is full, or if they kick us out, we can easily either go sit in the shade at Paul's Woods, or walk a bit farther to meet in the Theater in the Woods. That should put us in, more or less, one easy to find spot.

I also propose that we follow the agenda that Smoky set in the previous post.

Obviously, insurance and safety go hand in hand and should be a priority to all Rocketeers since it also goes hand in hand with resale value of our birds.

I will gladly moderate the discussion, although I know from past experience that herding cats is easier. :eek: I will also happily turn over the meeting to anyone who has more experience as a cat herder.

If anyone with more industry knowledge would like to step up and volunteer to coordinate the insurance group buy, I'd be very pleased.

Also, does anyone know if John Anderson is planning an evening get together this year?

Please RSVP to [email protected] or to this thread. It would be good to have a rough head count.

I spoke to Ladd Gardner regarding the insurance problem. As expected, we would need a large group of Rockets to buy insurance in order to get any meaningful discount to the rates.

I suspect that the loss rates might be slightly higher for HRIIs than F1s, but have no way to confirm that. OTOH, F1 values may make their losses higher in a dollar amount.

So, for the insurance rates to ever get lower, we'd need:
  1. how many Rockets would actually buy coverage
  2. what hull values are in today's market
  3. whether to separate F1s from HRIIs

Not trying to pick on either type of Rocket, just reporting what was discussed. Also, realistically, do you need to have $175K of hull coverage when several Rockets have sold recently for RV prices (or less)?

If there is enough interest to pursue this, AND if we can get several guys to express interest in actually buying insurance that they aren't buying right now, we may have enough ammunition for Ladd to drop in and speak to us at our Oshkosh meeting.

Let me know ASAP. Whining about it later won't help anyone.

You can count me in Vince. I hope to have my rocket flying this fall and insurance is one of my concerns. Looking forward to it.
Ryan

AARRGGHHH!!

Not gonna make it this year, fellas. Arrrrr.....

I think Doug can handle the safety discussion in a professional cat herding style.:D
One point I would bring up is Vne, and how to stay below it. These ships are capable if outrunning the pilot very quickly if the nose is dropped.
Another matter is skill level. Again, these ships are so easy to fly, that they promote some level of 'exhuberance' in the pilot. Low level displays are an indication of this type of feeling - some are better at this type of maneuver than others.
I would like to talk about the new kits, but that would take up too much space.
I will stop there - this is for discussion by the group.
carry on!
Mark

FWIW, I have a quote from a local agent for $2600 for $125K hull, ground, & liability coverages. Not sure if that is the best quote out there, but seems better than I've uncovered in the past.

Those attending the informal meeting, please bring your best quotes so we can start directing our business to the companies who want it the most.

****error**** or if they kick us out, we can easily either go sit in the shade at Paul's Woods, or walk a bit farther to meet in the Theater in the Woods. ****error*****

Sorry guys, my bad, the Homebuilt Cafe is NOT near the theater in the woods. We WILL meet at the Homebuilt Cafe as advertised! The Homebuilt Cafe is near the GREEN TOWER landmark, which is visible from nearly everywhere along the flight line. See you there!!!!

http://www.airventure.org/images/av12_visitormap.jpg

Yellow Rocket ot OSH

Any one who was at OSH & saw the Yellow rocket ( with a sign) at the front of the RV section know the builders name etc.? I spoke with him early on thursday. He told me the brand of his prop but I forgot. I want to check out the company that made his prop.

Thanks

Sorry I missed the meeting, I was at KFSD the weekend before, then straight to OSH and never got the meeting place memo....

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal
F1 EVO

Back