What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How fast can you get out of your plane?

Lemmingman

Well Known Member
Last night, over dinner, a friend and I were sharing stories. His were auto racing stories and mine were flying. He races his own Porche and like many of us knows every nut bolt and washer on it. We got on the topic of fire safety. I related stories from our world of some of the events that have brought fire safety to the forefront of many of our minds.

He was telling me that some of the sanctioning bodies in racing require you to prove that you can get out of your car and get out of danger in a particular time frame. I found that to be an absolutely obvious thing to do, but have never heard of anyone doing that.

Do you test yourself to see how fast you can get out? With and without a passenger?

simulation = difference!

Great idea.....but just to be sure, I don't think when I leap from my flaming cockpit, I'm going to hit the wing walk.
Getting out 'carefully' and not stepping on the seat, or grabbing the canopy frame, and getting onto the wing walk will be MUCH slower than the 'bailout' one would expect in a life threatening situation, where you fall onto the wing and roll off onto the ground!
Perhaps having someone dump a thermos of hot coffee in your lap would simulate the urgency of a fast exit.... with slightly less danger than an inferno! ? :)

refueling

Along this line I've made it a practice to never have a passenger in the plane while refueling. If a fire breaks out I don't want to find out how long it takes to get someone who may not be familiar with the plane to safety.

The day I found myself hanging upside down in the straps in a field, it took about 10 seconds to kick out the broken canopy and crawl out. Never practiced it once, your personal adrenaline will get you moving when the time comes to exit. :)

I was very glad there was no passenger and after that event fly alone most of the time.

Along this line I've made it a practice to never have a passenger in the plane while refueling. If a fire breaks out I don't want to find out how long it takes to get someone who may not be familiar with the plane to safety.

In our part of the world it's illegal to have passengers on board when refuelling with 100LL. Interesting to hear that the same rule doesn't appear to apply in the US.

Alan Silver is a parachute expert and he puts on seminars about egress and egress training. I try to attend every year at ICAS (the airshow convention). It is a great refresher. He maintains that with training you can cut your egress time to 1/3 what of what an unpracticed egress takes...

It also involves not removing your parachute in the seat. There have been examples of pilots taking off their parachute before bailing out because that was how they typically egress-ed the airplane....

Training works and this is a good idea, especially if you wear a chute.

Tailwinds,
Doug Rozendaal

getting out in an emergency

This is an anecdotal experience I had dealing with an emergency I came upon while driving. Although the situation described is not aviation in origin it does give some insight into human nature when confronted with a life or death situation.

Several years ago I was driving down a 2-lane highway at 65 MPH. Came up onto a farm pickup truck pulling an empty dual axle car hauler trailer. We were driving down the back side of a fairly lengthy hill at highway speed. At the bottom of the hill there was a creak bed the road crossed over and then the road began to rise again to travel up the opposite side of the rising terrain where this creak passed. As the farmer's pickup came to the bottom of this hill the back drivers side tire of the trailer blew out. This caused the trailer to start swerving uncontrollably left and right. In turn the momentum of this weight began to pull the pickup left into the oncoming lane where a car was barreling toward the farmer.

I had a front row seat for this incident the entire time. I watched the whole thing unfold in front of my windshield, from the beginning blow out of the tire; to the pickup swerving over into the oncoming lane of traffic; the last minute jerk of the pickup and trailer as the farmer desperately worked to steer the pickup back into his lane and avoid the oncoming car; to the miraculous semi recover just in time to get the pickup out of the on coming lane of traffic. I watched as that passing car just barely missed the tail of the trailer by a foot or less. I can just imagine what the person(s) in that car were going through as that transpired.

All of that led up to the worst part of this event. With all of this violent lateral movement going on at somewhere around 60 MPH or so, there was no way this guy was going to regain control of this pickup and trailer. In fact, he did not. Once he narrowly missed the oncoming car his drastic steering caused the pickup/trailer combination to just go crazy. The trailer swung way out to the right then way out to the left while all this time pulling hard on the pickup until the driver totally lost it. The entire rig finally rolled over to the right and left the road.

Again I watched all of this just feet away as it occurred. It took just a few seconds to happen. Maybe less than 5 seconds from the blow out to the point where the rig was rolling violently off the right side of the road and down the ditch toward the creak bed we were traveling over. I was slamming on my brakes to stop before I became part of the accident. I was able to get stopped and off the road directly in front of where this pickup came to rest upside down on its roof slammed up against a fence.

I shoved my vehicle into park, slung open the door and ran as fast as I could down to this pickup. I just knew I was not going to like what I saw inside the cab. This was a typical farm pickup with a fuel tank in the bed of the pickup full of diesel fuel (and it was spewing diesel out everywhere). There were hand tools flung everywhere from some toolbox and various debris that a few seconds prior to this were in the bed of the truck. The truck was still in gear with the engine running at full bore. The accelerator was stuck wide open.

While I was running down to the truck I was trying to figure out quickly in my mind how I was going to deal with getting this guy out as quickly as possible. I just knew this guy was in serious trouble. Really, I was thinking the worst as it just didn't look like anyone would be able to survive what I just witnessed. At this point there may have been 20-30 seconds that passed since the blow out.

With all of this occurring in the span of 30 seconds or so and because of the extremely violent destruction of this crash, I was convinced I was going to be the first one to reach a fatal accident victim. I had the most incredible shock as I finally reached the driver's side door to the pickup cab. The pickup was upside down, motor running wide open and diesel fuel spewing out everywhere. Just as I was reaching down to see if I could pry open the door the farmer came blasting out of the busted side window of the driver's side door. He crawled out as fast as he could with eyes as wide as serving platters. Not only had he survived what I was sure had killed him, he didn't even seem to have a scratch on him.

Well, here is the point of my telling this story. He came blasting out of that cab in literally seconds from the time the pickup stopped moving. His system had pumped so much adrenalin through his body I truly think he would have been able to run a 3 minute mile at that time. I kid you not, I would say he was out of that pickup in less than 10 seconds from when it came to rest.

I don't know how fast I will be able to react to a life or death situation but if I react anything the way this guy did I think I will be moving pretty dog gone fast.

Ok, sorry for the long winded non-aviation story but I thought it somewhat pertinent to the discussion.

My buddy Troy and I had to belly a Bonanza some years ago following a one leg failure-to-extend. I had been in the back seat over an hour cranking the emergency handle, so I cranked up the good legs and stayed there to move the CG aft for the slide. Troy did a fine job with the touchdown, so smooth I clearly heard the glass break on the belly beacon a good 3 seconds before the grinding started.

Ahh yes, the egress. Troy is a Big Boy, an ex-Auburn lineman who lost nothing in his 50's. You know those old Roadrunner cartoons, the ones where the bird's legs spin like wheels before he hits warp speed? As God is my witness, Troy did exactly that as he went across the front seats and out the door. How he didn't land on his face 20 yards off the wingtip is a mystery to me.

When I ran into that misplaced trailer with my RV, Nora was taking her time getting out of the plane as I was shutting of the master and fuel, pulling the breakers on the always hot items when I ORDERED Nora to get out. She looked at me in a way only a wife can when her husband gives her a direct order and asked, ?Why?? One word got her moving faster than I had ever seen her move. That word? ?Fire?.

Lucky for us, there was no fire but you never know until you get out and inspect.

I believe that an RV8 slider canopy can be opened in flight. A guy bailed out of his RV8 about a mile from my home. A witness even saw the action.

The above is not to be the discussion. It was a terrible fataility due to fire. RIP

The point is, the slider on an -8 has been opened enough to egress in flight.

Has there ever been a -6, -7 or -9 canopy opened enough, in flight, to egress?

Last edited:
Mars and Venus

When I ran into that misplaced trailer with my RV, Nora was taking her time getting out of the plane as I was shutting of the master and fuel, pulling the breakers on the always hot items when I ORDERED Nora to get out. She looked at me in a way only a wife can when her husband gives her a direct order and asked, ?Why?? One word got her moving faster than I had ever seen her move. That word? ?Fire?.

It's a male/female thing....:)

The guy yells to give a sense of urgency...

The spouse reacts and gets upset because you are yelling at her, and even slows down, greatly offended.

Some spousal CRM beforehand may help.

Years ago I had some aerobatic lessons in a Citabria.

Egress training for bailout was done first.

With practice, egress with chute can be done successfully with in 5 seconds from a Citabria.

The best advice on ground egress I've heard is to do your emergency egress exactly like you do your normal egress (i.e. how you get out of the plane every day), only faster. This means that you should tailor your normal egress to meet the needs of your emergency egress. That way you are practicing your emergency egress every time you get our of the plane.

-John

Do you test yourself to see how fast you can get out? With and without a passenger?

Same here. Wife hates it but she understands why I do it.

Back