What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Engine kit shipping cost

steve wyman

Well Known Member
For all you guys who have already gotten your engine kits, I have a question. I just talked to the Fedex folks, and the engine kit, which arrives tomorrow, is going to be $693.35, to ship. Ouch! I live in Denver, so I'm about mid continent,distance wise. Is this the kind of cost you guys remember? A bit of a shock, I must say. Steve

You got hosed

My Barrett IO390 from Tulsa to Phoenix was $300. I shipped another engine from Phoenix to Virginia for $400 a few years ago. (Before the gas prices went up.)

Get quotes!!!! And don't use Fedex for something like that. Many of the shipping companies are hurting and will give excellent prices.

For all you guys who have already gotten your engine kits, I have a question. I just talked to the Fedex folks, and the engine kit, which arrives tomorrow, is going to be $693.35, to ship. Ouch! I live in Denver, so I'm about mid continent,distance wise. Is this the kind of cost you guys remember? A bit of a shock, I must say. Steve
The shipping mystery is solved! Apparently, some one at Fedex, entered the wrong shipping code ( it should have been shipped code 85, but was inadvertantly entered as a code 200). Big difference- the actual cost is now $294.65, instead of $693, whew! Once again , the folks at VANS came through- Thanks Ann! Steve

Shgipping

Personally I would never use FEDEX freight again...when they delivered my wing and fuselage kit, a fork lift was driven through the side of the wing box, and the fuselage box had one end completely smashed in and crushed. Somehow the parts inside were not damaged, a minor miracle.

FEDEX freight...more

Oh, I forgot...they charged me $76 for residential delivery even though the shipment was delivered to the airport, not my residence. Van's folks got the money back, but I wonder how all these "errors" come about.

Engine shipping

I took advantage of Lycoming free shipping offer after Sun n Fun and Oshkosh to save me that @300.00. When I ordered the engine prop combo I made the mistake of thinking my prop also was "free" shipping. That cost me $160 +/-. Had I been thinking clearly, I would have driven up to Piqua Ohio and picked it up at the Hartzell factory.

Allan Stern
RV 6A flying 89 hours 0-320 CS
RV 8A getting close to done

My wing kit, (2 crates) cost AUD $3,200.00, (about USD $2,900.00) to Australia. I hate to think what the engine will cost!!:confused::eek:

Hi Marcus, I just finalised my quote to get the engine and Avionics in one crate by sea using C&H freight. Cost will be, in AUD, 1200 freight and fees, 415 insurance and a small fortune GST. Thats to Port of Brisbane, me to collect from there.

I hope that gives you a target, if not a sense of relief.
Rod

Hi Rod, Will probably do the same with C&H for my engine. Just need to get myself organised and leave plenty of time. Thanks for the info.:)

Back