What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting

olderthandirt

Well Known Member
So..we all build our airplanes, rivet till we are wore out...but how many in end do their own painting??? Yes, it is worth the $12,000.00 but now that we did the whole build it would be nice to say we did everything, including painting...well I did it and today just finished the fuse, emp, canopy tail cone an spinner... trim will come later...since I cannot put pictures on this site I will email to guy who heads this up...so he can post...Dick

Use TinyPic Image Hosting. Upload image from your computer, resize to Message Board 640x480, copy, and paste into you Reply to Thread. Pretty easy to do once you give it try...

Congratulations Dick! Looking forward to seeing the pictures.Painting is a lot of work, but rewarding. I think it added a year to my build.

Agree Dick!
Painting your own-build plane is like giving birth. I did my KitFox once myself, and will do the '12 as well. Perhaps not as pretty as a pro could do, but hey: it's MY plane, and I build it. Besides: you won't notice any tears at 30ft height, will you?
A bunch of aluminum, cloth and rag (in the KitFox period) suddenly became what I had in mind. Suddenly the colors that were only existing in my head (and on one other KitFox in the world, won't tell ya which one) sort of appeared with every spray.
Spraying is big fun. I did it in my one-car garage: made a poor-man's spray-booth out of plastic sheets. Worked fine. And the few sprays that got underneath still remember me for years now what fun I had!
Building your own plane is in-explainably fun, flying it is... Well, you know. Flying your own-build plane is somewhat more exiting, but spraying is a thing of it own. I do wish for you all that you at least once get the chance to do a fern spraying project.

Keep themflying!

painting

I downloaded tiny pic's and followed your advice, to no avail..it will not let me paste to thread reply...and up above it asks for URL..which I have no clue what it is???

Imgur works well and is easy.

1. Goto http://imgur.com/
2. Drag and drop image(s) onto the web browser.
3. Click "Start Upload"
4. Copy image link or direct URL and paste it into your post here.

it asks for URL..which I have no clue what it is?
Find the picture that you uploaded to some online website.
Right click your picture.
Left click "Copy Image Address"
Come back to VansAirforce and click "Reply"
Along the top of the dialog box are some icons.
Click on the yellow one. (Insert Image)
A dialog box pops up asking for the URL.
Right click inside of that box and click "Paste"
Click "OK"

painting

N5wziSv

This morning surprised to find the picture of painted plane here, did the download upload stuff but in end did not see picture, thanks Tony for kudo, long way to go since I am trimming out with red, black and blue..lots of masking... then engine tuning and paperwork and DAR or FAA...but it is coming together...

Another painting picture...

Note from Dick:

Tony; Thanks for posting my picture of painting, having trouble doing that stuff...I can build a airplane but cannot post to internet??? I shot the first trim color on plane this mornig, only two more to go...I did send away to guy in New Zealand and asked permission to copy his paint scheme..he said go for it...Dick

i-ms5sNrp-L.jpg

Back