What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Nexus 7 or is 9 worth the cost?

C. Brenden

Well Known Member
I'm considering a tablet purchase and am wondering if the Nexus 9 is worth the extra cost. How does it compare in size, brightness, capability, speed to the 7 version. Looks like a used 7 is under $100 and a 9 is $300-$400. For those who have seen/used both is the 9 nicer to use?

While it's a good device, the Nexus 7 is starting to get old and might not get updates for too much longer. I'd pass on it for that reason alone (and it's why I'm looking at upgrading from my Nexus 10).

The Nexus 9 is great, except for one glaring feature: it's limited to a max of 32gb storage. If all you are going to use it for is aviation, then go for it.

If having just 32gb is a limiting factor (like it is for me), I'd suggest looking at the Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 or 10.5 (best screen of any android tablet). If you'd like to keep it the price down, the Asus ZenPad S 8.0 with 64gb is a really attractive choice.

I'm probably not going to decide which way I'll be jumping until this fall when the new Nexus comes out.

Be aware that there are two generations of Nexus 7 - the seconds generation is MUCH faster. I bought a refurbished gen2 a few months ago on eBay for around $170 to replace my gen1 Nexus 7. Non-refurbished used devices are even cheaper.

IHMO, you can't get wrong for this price. :)

I'm a HUGE fan of Android, but I just couldn't bring myself to buy the N9. I really wanted to like it, but it just felt clunky in-hand. And there's the price...

The 2013 N7 has served me well. I also picked up a Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.4 Pro a while back for $200. I believe the N7 did better in sunlight.

I definitely want a tablet I can read it the sunlight - it's for that reason that I'm not an ipad fan. I don't like the ipad in the sunlight.

Just got a Nexus 10 for my -12 and mount it on a RAM setup. Works great and has great sunlight readability.

I've been waiting for a Nexus tablet refresh for quite a while now... The 7 is getting dated even though the second gen is still quite a peppy performer. The 9 is limited to the same memory as the 7, and since i'm only using it in the airplane it's probably not going to be a real problem that it's only 32GB.

I got to play with an nVidia Shield the other day, and then went and did some research on it. It's about neck-and-neck with the Nexus 7 for most features i'd care about, *plus* it's got a stylus... Being an old Palm guy I have been missing my stylus for ages... I'd buy one, but the design is a year old and nVidia is apparently refreshing it in the fall, so i'll wait.

There are no plans for a Nexus tablet refresh this year, according to all but one available report. The only indication of a Google tablet coming this year is from a report back in spring that Google was working on a dual-OS Chrome/Android tablet. My laptop is a Chrome laptop, and has served me phenomenally well for two years. I bought it on a whim, and it's honestly been the best computer i've owned for ages. Not practical in a cockpit though, so i'm still looking for the "perfect" tablet.

Is Garmin Pilot the preferred software for the Android? That is what I was planning on using for my EFB. I assume that the 32 GB is plenty for that application.

I have used my nexus 7 2013 for a year and has served me well, I liked it thank you. The screen was OK in the light but not too good for my old eyes (58). Short on storage (16 gigs no room for expansion) but OK for local sectionals and other things but had to watch out for no room.
I just bought a new Samsung Tab A 9.7 the other day and what a great improvement. A bit slower CPU and a little less pixels All so minor but it's size (RV8A) is great and it has GPS-A and glasnost (Russian sats) it picks up the satellites in an instance and no delays and no drops it makes you think it's faster and better. Screen brightness is real good even in direct sunlight you can read it real well. Running AVARE also and is great and free. It has 32 gigs on board and room for a 128 gig micro sd crd. All for 325 at Costco
Scott

Is Garmin Pilot the preferred software for the Android? That is what I was planning on using for my EFB. I assume that the 32 GB is plenty for that application.
I'm a big fan of FlyPlan.com and it's mobile app, FltPlan GO. Works really well and their support is great. Outputs the route in a format suitable for importing into SkyView via a flash drive. The only downside for me is there's no rubber-banding of the route on the map.

I bought a 2013 Nexus 7 16GB specifically for running Garmin Pilot because Foreflight on my iPad 2 Mini was unreadable in the bright cockpit of my RV-8A. Works great (I also use it the play Youtube vids at night just before going to sleep.) Apple really needs to step up and make their screens sunlight readable natively - no cheating with special screen overlays.

Nexus 9

Hi Craig, When I read this, first thing I did was look at your age and the type RV you're flying. OK, you're 50, ie, you're a lot younger than me, so your eyes are probably still pretty good. And I see you've got a 6. I had an ipad mini and I literally had to memorize where words like activate and done were, because I couldn't see them. Now I've got a Nexus 9 and even at 72, I can see it just fine. The other thing I wanted to comment on was you have a 6, ie, room for a N9. I've got an 8 cockpit, and the N9 is really too big, but hey, at least I can see it in bright sunlight. You asked about garmin pilot and 32 GB. That's what I use, but I only use the N9 in my plane, so I didn't care about only 32 Gb, works good.

Snowflake here on VAF brought up the point about a tablet not charging in your plane with one of those 2.4 volt cigarette lighter inserts like I've got. Mine "does" charge, but I would say he makes a good point in that if you "do" use a cigarette lighter hole, make sure your unit charges, or at least holds whatever charge you had before engine start.

Happy navigating:cool:

I'm completely satisfied with the N7 and Avare. If the price has gotten down to $100 for a 32gb machine, you can't lose. The screen is still tops, the GPS is fast & reliable, and it's small enough to clip into an old knee board. This is a big deal in an RV-4 or -8.

I bought a second nexux 7 for backup, used on Amazon for $120. Does Garmin Pilot allow a second subscription?

Steve,

Yup, you can run Garmin Pilot on up to two devices at one time.

thx, I was hoping for this without confirming.

Update. this is to confirm it allows a 2nd install. very easy, essentially automatic.

Last edited:
16 or 32

I've been reading this thread with some interest. Would like to get an EFB that I can actually see in the cockpit of my 6A and not spend a ton of money in the process. Hence, no IPad. If I use Avare, can I get by with a Nexus 7 (2013) 16GB or do I need 32GB? Avare will be its only function. Thanks for the input:)

2013 Nexus 7

We have two 2013 Nexus 7 16GB and both have iFly (I think is truly far better than anything else) and Garmin Pilot installed on and both^2 are used regularly. It is a little troublesome being tight on memory but in reality it is very simple to create a missionized load (sectionals, WACs, approach plates, safe taxi, satellite view) and off we go. Kind of like we always did when we used to use paper everything.

If you haven't looked at the iFly app for Android, you really need to. IFly features are truly superb.

I only use Garmin Pilot because of my uninformed decision to buy a GDL39 several years ago. I just can't figure out what I really want to to replace the GDL39 with (no more exclusive IP junk).

Thinking the bomb would be iFly WiFi to L3 lynx.

Last edited:
I've been reading this thread with some interest. Would like to get an EFB that I can actually see in the cockpit of my 6A and not spend a ton of money in the process. Hence, no IPad. If I use Avare, can I get by with a Nexus 7 (2013) 16GB or do I need 32GB? Avare will be its only function. Thanks for the input:)

Depends what you load. If I managed my installed data with GP I could get by with less than 16GB. But I have found I am lazy and don't want to pick and choose for each trip so I set to update all, it needs more than 16GB. Don't know about Avare database size.

Love my N7 2nd Gen and have been running Naviator for the last three years. Very powerful app. Unfortunately two issues have cropped up with the tablet. First, the battery life is now decresed to the point I only get about two hours of screen time. Second, it is only 16GB and 32GB would be better. It has performed flawlessly otherwise. I am awaiting Wing-X Pro for Android to come out. If it is anything close to their iOS version it will be an awesome addition to the cockpit.

I have been watching eBay to replace it with another N7 2nd Gen but with 32GB, preferably refurbished which should have a new battery. I might consider moving to the N9 but concerned about the size.

By the way, I also have an IPad Air2 wifi/cell. I prefer the Android platform and the size of the N7 so no interest in using it for an aviation app. Plus, it is rediculous in sunlight.

Back