What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

YIO-360-A1B6 Question

schuylr

Hi all,

I'm going through the Non-Certified Lycoming order form and interested in the YIO-360-A1B6 for the extra 20 HP (compared to the M1B) but wondering why the order page says it can only be fit with a C/S prop?

If I'm not mistaken, any engine with provisions for a C/S can have a fixed pitch on it, and 200 HP isn't too much for, say, a Catto prop.

Also curious where the 20 HP comes from. Basic research tells me it's a tuned induction system for an increased compression ratio of 8.70:1 vs. 8.50:1 on the M1B. For $6k, I'm wondering what I can tune myself to irk out the higher 0.20. I'm already planning for EFI.

Happy to learn - I've put an email in to Van's as well.

Last edited:
Welcome Schuyler.

360-A is an angle valve head. Slightly domed combustion chamber, better port angles, higher combustion rate. Externally, cylinder finning is more extensive; easier to maintain cool CHT. Case has piston oil squirters, so generally more oil cooling capacity required. Crank has pendulum absorbers, aka counterweights, which eliminates a bunch of prop restrictions. Weight is more, engine about an inch wider.

Typical power from the 360-A is closer to 195 than the rated 200.

BTW, the parallel valve M1B has the same intake plenum and tuned intake.

You're welcome.

If you really want fixed pitch, just go with the lighter parallel valve. The Vans Lycoming deals are excellent, but there is also the 370/375 option from Continental Titan, a parallel valve stroker available with or without pendulums.

That's what I'm thinking. The angle valves might also be more complicated to overhaul and install an EFI into - since that might require sculpting of the cylinders.

Lycoming responded regarding this. The A1B6 can be converted to a fixed-pitch configuration, but it is factory-configured for constant-speed only.

Conversion to fixed-pitch would need to follow these instructions.

Back