What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pocket flashlight that works?

tomhanaway

Well Known Member
My small inspection lights (led) usually fail before I’m through the first set of batteries.
Any suggestions for a small bright light that actually works. I don’t need the ability to flash SOS or any other gimmick.
Just a reliable flashlight.

Thanks,
Tom Hanaway

light control

Having been a mechanic for over 50 years I really like the head mount LED.
But for a pocket flashlight I want it to be able to be held in my mouth. The three AAA battery LED are quite small. Hurts your lips after a bit biting down. Big enough so you won't swallow it. Ha Ha.
I cheated. I got mine from a Home Builders trade show. They were giving them away like candy. I love candy.
Put a bit of padding on the barrel and it works better. Battery life is directly related to power consumption though. I have USB port rechargeable also but they don't throw out enough light. They are great for playing with cats though. Oops that's not plane related.
Buy a bunch they are cheap. Art

My job requires me to have a robust light option at all times. Around my neck on a lanyard I carry a single AAA Streamlight Micro. Is is cheap, sturdy and lifetime replacement, though I’ve never needed to use the warranty. I have abused this light. I can grip it in my mouth or hold it between two fingers. Very versatile.

The light I use around the house and shop is this: https://www.flashlightdealer.com/mo...MIx6n1372K7AIVSr3ACh1Y3Q_ZEAQYCiABEgK9k_D_BwE

I do not know this reseller, just googled the part number. Highly recommend. It’s a Pelican - lifetime warranty. Has a magnet, clip, free standing base and a rotating head. To top it off, it holds a luminescent glow for a long time after use so you won’t misplace it. These two lights have replaced most other flashlights in my daily use. I also have a headlamp for when I need to be hands free 100% but that’s a whole different conversation.

Mini Mag light. You can get them with a foam collar included thats hex shaped so that you can hold it in your mouth and also so it won't roll off the table.

I use this one 20x per day. I also can't imagine doing a pre-flight without it. Good momentary rubber button on the end which won't inadvertently come on in your pocket, also a click on/click off under the same button:

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-66118-Stylus-PenLight-Holster/dp/B0015UC17E/

2 AAA batteries, runs for a long time. I have had mine for about 3 years, anodizing well worn, but still works perfectly. Occasionally will clean the spring which contacts the batteries. They also make a rechargeable one for about 3x the price.

Stiletto!

These are all good suggestions but there is only one light that meets (and surpasses) your needs - the mighty Stiletto by SureFire!

The SureFire rep demonstrated this light at our last Aircraft Spruce Customer Appreciation day. I bought one on Amazon and I use it several times a day. It has a handy pocket clip that also doubles as a hat clip. When clipped to your VAF hat bill it makes a great head-light. It has 3 different power settings to suit your needs. It's flat shape won't roll off your wing (or wherever you lay it) and it's USB rechargeable, so no batteries to replace.

https://www.surefire.com/products/illumination/flashlights/stiletto/

It's $89 on Amazon:

https://tinyurl.com/y2fbqmbh

There is also a brighter "Pro" model but don't waste your $$$. The basic model does everything you need and the battery lasts longer.

-Marc

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and experiences. I had no idea so many options were available.
I’ve ordered several different models as I use them in different locations.

I've got several of the Quantum brand "tactical" flashlights from Harbor Freight. They're 588 lumens (pretty darn bright), beam adjustable from narrow to wide. Regular $13.99, but just got their email showing them for $9.99, no coupon needed.
I've tried several "east asia" flashlights over the years; the on/off switch seems to be a weak point but have had no problem with these. Might be a bit larger form factor than what you're looking for, but for the price, I don't thik you'll be disappointed.

Doug
Seattle area

Streamlight Microstream

Agree with Alex that the Streamlight flashlights are hard to beat.

I have been using the Streamlight Microstream for many years and love it. It is very small and rugged, uses a single AAA battery that lasts for over 2 hrs, and costs less than $20.

The outer bend of the pocket clip allows it to be attached to the bill of a ball cap for hands free operation.

microstream_horiz.jpg

They also sell a USB rechargeable version of this flashlight, but I prefer the primary cell version since you can easily have a spare AAA battery available should you need it.

Steve

Thanks, everyone, I've been looking for a small flashlight too and you've identified several candidates for me.

Dave

Agree with Alex that the Streamlight flashlights are hard to beat.

I have been using the Streamlight Microstream for many years and love it. It is very small and rugged, uses a single AAA battery that lasts for over 2 hrs, and costs less than $20.

The outer bend of the pocket clip allows it to be attached to the bill of a ball cap for hands free operation.

View attachment 2905

They also sell a USB rechargeable version of this flashlight, but I prefer the primary cell version since you can easily have a spare AAA battery available should you need it.

Steve

I've owned many Streamlights over the years and never had one fail (I lose them). I even put one through the washer and it lit right up.

Jerre

I had a "thing" for flashlights some years back. Ended up with waaaaay too many, according to my wife. I'll second the recommendation for Fenix.

Also, consider avoiding alkaline batteries in favor of LSD rechargable (e.g. eneloop) or lithium primary cells. It stinks to have a $0.30 battery ruin a $30+ light.

Also, lithium primaries have very long shelf life. A light in your glove box will work just fine after sitting for 5 years if it has lithium batts.

+1 for streamlight. I have 2 and used them for several years, never had an issue.

I did find a $1 pen light in the auto section at Walmart was was very impressed with it. It is aluminum and seems to be very good quality for what is is. Perfect for having several around the house/hanger.

Ledlenser P7 is what I use for inspections or work inside the plane. Yes it consumes battey, but change it once a year is fine for me. Very narrow spot or even flood, adjustable via the lense.

Back