What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight RV-3 S/N 11452

Richard Connell

Well Known Member
Today saw the first flight of Steve Lenne's RV3 in Cobram Australia.

Around 6 years in the making, with an Aerosport IO-320, Whirlwind Prop, AFS3500 and Trutrak A/P recycled from my RV7 panel upgrade.

Reportedly no major issues other than a slightly heavy wing to be addressed.

Congrats Steve!

2d7u5pg.jpg

8xlyqu.jpg

v3it92.jpg

Last edited:
Way to go Steve.... Keep us posted in testing phase. (Richard, thanks for sharing)

One of the best RV's around. Wish I had the energy and time to build a -3.

Last edited:
Nice Job!

I hope that one day, my 3B will fly also. I've heard it's the best flying bird Vans ever designed. This came from several 3 owners and flyers, plus Van himself.

Nice job. I see you did the hanging pedals.... sure keeps the floor clean. Did you have any problems with the conversion? Do you have any pictures of the process?

Gday
No major issues with the hanging pedals.
They are just a set of RV7 pedals and UHMW blocks all cut to fit with a center brace as well. You could possibly do away with that and run both cross bars all the way across as well if you preferred.
For a taller person you can then stretch your feet out underneath them as well which is handy.

jgiatz.jpg

I welded a tag on the right pedal for the right rudder. My legs are long and I can now lift the pedals in flight to straighten my legs should they cramp.

The tail is plastic from the sign writer as is the black and white on the wings and the Ausie decal. The fibre glass was painted.

Steve
Jabiru lsa553j
Rv3

Back