What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Hammered interior finish feedback wanted

glider4

Well Known Member
I'm just about to paint the interior of my RV-8A. I've decided on going with a medium gray color using rattle cans. I've read the posts about gloss vs semi-gloss vs flat and have decided to go semi-gloss. I've narrowed it down to two very different finishes.

1. Rustoleum 7783 Pewter Gray in semi-gloss.

2. The hammered finish offered by Rustoleum (7214 Gray Hammered) looks very different from the standard monotone finishes. I know some of you have used this for your interiors. How do you like it? Is it holding up well? Was it difficult to apply with good results?

I'm getting good results with my rattle can primer painting. Any tips on applying the finish coat that may be different from what you did with rattle can primer? How does the finish paint go over the power coated parts - any special prep needed?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Al Thomas
N880AT
RV-8A QB (finishing kit)

I'm using the hammered finish from Rustoleum and like it. I'm still building, but have dropped items on my finished pieces and it has held up well. There is one curiousity though, it seems if you spray the parts horizontally, the finish comes out like you would expect. If you spray the parts vertically, the paint comes out looking like a metallic silver. This is just my experience, your mileage may vary. Overall it's a nice look and won't show fingerprints.

We used the Rustoleum Hammered silver on the inside of our RV6 almost 6 years ago and it's held up just great! Of course quite a bit of the inside is covered by interior, but the exposed pieces seem to have held up quite well with the old rattle can paint!

Cheers,
Stein Bruch
RV6, Minneapolis

My friend Hammered Metal Finish has one big advantage that Now you can paint right over rust to get a distinctive hammered metal appearance with the same great rust-preventative qualities as the Stops Rust finishes. This finish hides flaws and imperfections, requires minimal surface preparation, is ideal for scratched, rusted, and pitted metal. Decorates and protects metal, wood, concrete, and stone.

Pictures

Does anybody have pictures of the finished product? I would assume the touchup would be easy, and it sounds like the durability is good? Two coats good enough? Thanks. Dave

BrickPilot said:
You might have W&B issues with those last two materials. :D

The funny thing is I remember an experimental plane that lost a brick out of it back in the 70's on Long Island. It went right through the roof of somebodiy's house. He used it to get his W&B to work out. He probably should have secured it better.

I'm using the dark grey over a the NAPA grey. Two coats? Nah. Too interesting a pattern to cover it up with a second coat.
28_seat_bracket.jpg

Bob Collins said:
I'm using the dark grey over a the NAPA grey. Two coats? Nah. Too interesting a pattern to cover it up with a second coat.
28_seat_bracket.jpg

Bob, are you talking about the self-etching NAPA primer? If so, do you put the sealer on it too, or simply use the dark gray Hammered Rustoleum as the sealer?

Back