What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane power FS-14 won't clear oil filter

walkman

Well Known Member
Help! :mad:

New Fly Safe FS-14 vacuum pad mounted alternator will not clear standard Champion CH48103 oil filter.

I've seen threads about limits clearance, but this won't clear at all. I cannot get the alternator base flush against the pad rotated in any of the 4 positions.

O-360 A1F6D

Checked with the Plane Power tech support beforehand, they saw no problems.

Anyone got any ideas?

Fine. Look at my kit log under engine, there is a pic.

FP27082010A0002O.jpg

Last edited:
Don't know if this will help, but I had to mill about 1/4" off of one corner of my filter adapter (90*) to clear my B&C pad mounted alternator.

Don't know if this will help, but I had to mill about 1/4" off of one corner of my filter adapter (90*) to clear my B&C pad mounted alternator.

No. The casting on the alternator body, where it bulges for the bolts that hold the two halves together, fouls against the can of the oil filter. I don't have an adapter.

FWIW

On the -A1F6D engine the distance from the center of the vacuum drive gear to the edge of the oil filter is 2.155" as well as I can measure it with the engine hung.

Its about .15" too small for an FS-14. The B&C SD-20 looks like it might clear, the SD-8 is well clear.

ECI and B&C angle or remote oil filter adapters all specifically exclude compatibility for -76 series and dual mag engines.

hth anyone else.

sending it

back to spruce for a refund.

ordering an sd-20 which I'm told I can return no questions asked since they can't give me the dimension I need.

Sd-20 doesn't clear either

This is really and FYI with hopefully enough keywords that someone searching for the same information will find it.

Neither plane power FS-14 or b&c sd-20 standby alternators will clear the oil filter on a dual mag O-360-A1F6D or I suspect any other dual mag engines.

The sd-20 is approx .070" too large. The FS-14 slightly larger still.

No remote oil filter adapters that I could find would work on this accessory case. Most of them specifically excluded compatibility in the documentation.

Rather than try grinding down the case on a new $700 alternator, I'm going with an Sd-8 which should work but doesn't have quite the margin I'd hoped for.

Back