What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Oil temp and Cyl head temps notes

C-FAH Q

Well Known Member
While at Oshkosh this year, my intent was to discuss oil temps with Lycomings tech people. On warm days my oil runs around 202 degrees.While at 90 kts from Ripon-fiske-kosh following something that resembled a slug for speed my oil climbed to 214 degrees. I operated a IO-360-a1B6 in a rv7.

First thing i did was to go to the oil cooler people and ask thier opinion on how to add a second cooler. The recommendation was to add a bigger cooler if possible, but if that was not, then add a second cooler in parallel and not in series, as doing it in series would restrict flow and not be as efficient.

Then it was off to the lycoming tent for some more advice. I spoke with one of their top tech guys and explained the situation and also that my cylinder head temps never go above 325. First he looked at me and said" sounds to me that engine is running exactly where it should be" Then he explained that the cool head temps are normal on that engine due to the piston squirters, which in turn expels the heat through the oil as well as the cooling fins. Then in great detail, told me that the these engines are tested to TBO running at 240 degrees and in no way was I harming or stressing my system. He was quite firm on his opinion that it was running right where it should be and I should not change a thing. He was also firm that taking cylinder head temps over 400 degrees to 440 was also no issue as the metallurgy is much better that it was in the sixties. Well, that's a non issue for me.

So, I came away, happy in knowing everything in my engine operating parameters is normal.

This, among other things,is what I learned from flying to Oshkosh for my first time. I am sure I will get roasted on this, but I feel good knowing the people that make it engine are happy how it is operating and that I am no way operating near the edge.

I hope this thread helps answer your question on temps as well.

Why do you think you will get roasted? Sounds like things are working exactly as expected. There are not that many times you will be slugging along at those speeds when it is that hot outside and 214 max. deg OT is nothing to worry about regardless.
The steep angle of attack to maintain that speed has a lot more effect on OT than CHT's for some reason.

Back