What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Painting questions

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
For those that had their planes painted - I have questions.

Did they remove everything that was screwed or bolted down, paint under and re-install? (ie - antennas, inspection plates, fairings, etc...)

Did they remove control surfaces and reinstall?

If they removed, can you be certain that new lock nuts were used?

Did they torque all nuts properly?

Any words of wisdom?

Remove everything you can. If you are concurred about the lock nuts, buy new ones. They are cheap. The best paint jobs I have seen are the ones that do not have any over spray. Remember 100LL is $4.00 plus a gallon, hardware is cheap. Paint supplies with run you about 1,500.00 to 2,000.00. Nuts and pins will cost you $100.00.

Not me

Remove everything you can. If you are concurred about the lock nuts, buy new ones. They are cheap. The best paint jobs I have seen are the ones that do not have any over spray. Remember 100LL is $4.00 plus a gallon, hardware is cheap. Paint supplies with run you about 1,500.00 to 2,000.00. Nuts and pins will cost you $100.00.

Ken - I'm talking about when it comes time to fly it to someone who paints. I wondering what a good paint shop does. If I paint, I know what it done (and all replaceable hardware would be new).

Tuscaloosa Interior and Paint

Webb: I took my RV-7A to Bobby Potts at Tuscaloosa (AL) Interior and Paint. I took off my rudder, elevator, flaps and ailerons but he said he would do it for me if I wished. They removed the wheel pants and fairings. He has some men that work with him that do exclusively RVs and he has a relative who is an A&P well familiar with all the ins and outs of the various planes. I can't say enough about the quality of their work. My fiberglass work could be described as "rough" in the kindest sense and he made it look fantastic. If you haven't decided on a paint shop, I heartily recommend these guys.

Bill Near

Hate to be nosey

Webb: I took my RV-7A to Bobby Potts at Tuscaloosa (AL) Interior and Paint. I took off my rudder, elevator, flaps and ailerons but he said he would do it for me if I wished. They removed the wheel pants and fairings. He has some men that work with him that do exclusively RVs and he has a relative who is an A&P well familiar with all the ins and outs of the various planes. I can't say enough about the quality of their work. My fiberglass work could be described as "rough" in the kindest sense and he made it look fantastic. If you haven't decided on a paint shop, I heartily recommend these guys.

Bill Near

Hate to ask but what was the damage ($$)?

Thanks - and they aren't too far from here.

When I paint a RV I remove anything I can so I can get paint in those hard to reach areas. Antennas are usually not removed. Not everybody installs them so they can be removed easily.

Figure about $8k for a decent paint job.

Wallet surgery

Mine cost $9500 but needed some fiberglass work. He did Jamie Painter's RV-7for $9000. I highly recommend them.

Bill Near

Back