What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Cessna passes slower RV at Osh!

mcattell

Well Known Member
I saw the previous post about an RV passing a slower high wing. I couldn't bite my tongue anymore because at Oshkosh anything can happen. I took my brother out for a short flight and returned to the field after spinning around Green Lake a couple times with congested traffic. The controller was harping on everyone to maintain a one mile spacing inbound or they would be turned back out. I thought I was doing a pretty good to maintain the spacing and speed but had two high wing jobs pass me approaching Fisk. In the video you'll see one of them come up from below and plop right in front of me. It was a bit of a shock but I have certainly flown closer than that before. I'm pretty sure he just didn't see me. But in the video you can also see the controller turn away the guys that passed me and let me continue inbound. I'm not sure if that was the intent or just by coincidence but it did make me feel better about doing it right. I'm not making a big deal of this as it turned out okay, but I thought the video was interesting.

http://youtu.be/2HahoZIhV5o

By the way, I was trying out the Garmin VIRB camera I had just bought. Man I love that thing. Nice out the front with the prop filter and great audio with their headsets cord. Sorry about the lame commentary along the way. The Garmin software is also really easy to use for editing and posting to YouTube. Also since I've been using Garmin Pilot for a while, that's a nice plus for setting up the camera.

By the way, I was trying out the Garmin VIRB camera I had just bought. Man I love that thing. .

I like the data displayed in the lower corners. Does the Garmin camera take a feed from the gps or did you add the flight data in post editing?

The Garmin VIRB camera has a built-in GPS and provides a separate file that links to the video in their software. Initially I only copied off the video file and then deleted it from the camera. I then discovered after installing their software that I needed the data file. It was still on the camera and I was able to download and link it back to the original video. Normally it's pretty seamless when using their software to offload the video. I do see that I need to set speed to knots as that's my preference.

The prop filter works great, but if you're not shooting through the prop it's best not to use it. When I used it during late evening it reduced the light to the lens considerably making the video useless. The lenses must be changed out using a tiny screwdriver but probably not something you'd change back and forth frequently.

Shooting through the front windscreen isn't the best idea in an RV anyway since there are a lot of reflections to deal with.

There are lots of options to mess with when using the Garmin Pilot app. I haven't had a chance to play with that much yet. It connects to the app very well compared to what I've experienced with the GoPro. I gave my Hero 3 to my brother for use as a dash cam in his truck.

Nice Video

This video gives me a feel of what an arrival at Osh is like - seeing the other planes in the queue, listening to the controller and everything.

Thanks.

This video gives me a feel of what an arrival at Osh is like - seeing the other planes in the queue, listening to the controller and everything.

Thanks.

I agree. That is what I find most useful about the video. It provides a sense of "experience" for those who have never made that approach before.

Thanks for posting. Had no idea how good the VIRB is. That is awesome. Great way to review an OSH arrival if you've never done one.

Dale

Garmin VIRB

On the second viewing I realized that in addition to the typical groundspeed, heading altitude, etc. the lower right corner shows a ground track which I found very interesting!

Very nice video, and Woo-Hoo on the Cessna pilot who got sent to the lake! :p

Great Video!

For someone who has never flown to Oshkosh, the Notam arrival comes to life with your clip. Thanks! Makes me feel like maybe I can fly there myself next year!:)
p.s. No GoPro for me -- Love the Garmin..... They should give you some advertising pay for this clip.... very well done....

thanks for sharing

Great video, thanks for posting. I have a Virb myself, and I have posted a video or two here. Although I didn't get main page exposure :D

If you are not trying to record audio, I have had success taking the included curved plate mount, drilling and countersinking a hole in the middle, and attaching it to the wing by removing a tank screw and installing with a longer screw. From the outboard screws and with a setting of "ultra zoom" the plane is not even visible in the shot. Stable video with no signs of the camera breaking loose even at normal RV-9A cruise speeds.

Also, for the aerobats, the camera has an accelerometer and a G meter can be overlaid on the video as well.

Anyone who is interested can follow this link to my youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcAebb6nCuC6fdqIuV5OZCA

Not trying to piggyback views, just showing the potential of this camera. Thanks.

Last edited:
For those interested in the VIRB software ‘overlays' used in this neat clip, here is a screen grab of my computer showing some of the overlay choices (in grey down at the bottom of the pic linked below):
http://oi57.tinypic.com/59zi11.jpg
You can also pick and choose which ones you want.
v/r,
dr

On the second viewing I realized that in addition to the typical groundspeed, heading altitude, etc. the lower right corner shows a ground track which I found very interesting!

Very nice video, and Woo-Hoo on the Cessna pilot who got sent to the lake! :p

I noticed that the altitude was displayed in tenths. I have enough trouble holding to a hundred.:D

Ripon, anyone?

What happened to "Be at 90 knots (103-104 mph) and 1800 ft. before Ripon", instead of cutting in at Fisk at higher speed? Reckon this goober could read? Trip around the lake is the least of his worries, hope he (or she?) had a few minutes to ponder.

I got passed by a Lancair while turning base for 27, which caused a little increase in the old heart rate, but he (or she) was on the higher, faster downwind iaw the Notam, was being directed by the tower controller, and was clear of the runway before I got to the first dot.

It all works so much smoother when everyone follows the Notam, not a good time/place for cowboys.

Great video

I flew the same approach to 27 for the first time in my RV12 a few weeks ago and I really appreciate this great video as I was so focused on airspeed/alt and listening to the the controllers that I really didn't appreciate what it actually looked like! I do remember the feeling of great relief when I finally shut the engine off in HBP, but for all the hours of planning and review of that detailed NOTAM, it sure went by fast.

thanks again. B

Back