What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 C-FHRY First Flight

DHRYCAUK

I'm happy to report I had my first flight on my newly purchased RV-8, 1 hour and counting as C-FHRY :). Very happy with the airplane, handles like a little fighter :).

This is my redemption for selling my RV-8 project 10yrs ago (empennage/wings completed/fuse nib)

I'm definitely glad I had 9hrs with Mike Seagar in his -7 as this definitely prepared me for my first solo. Landings were as expected and I performed a nice tail low wheel landing, the 45lbs of ballast in the rear baggage definitely helped as my CG was 80.7. The stick forces were nice and no lack of elevator trim.

One thing I found was after letting the tail come down slowly and once I pinned the tail down she got a little squirrelly... I'm pretty sure I was over controlling as the tail link on the tail wheel makes control pretty sensitive.

Thx for all the great info on this forum, I've been quietly absorbing as much info as I could searching just about every subject!!

Dave

imagejpg1_zps0b3b2725.jpg

Last edited:
Dave,

I like the name of your airplane... would fit me well.

I, too, find that after the tail comes down I get the slow speed squirrelies.

Loosening my chains helped, as did teaching my feet to not over correct. My feet are slow to learn. Too far from my brain.

Don

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Congratulations on your first flight. I have about 10 hours on my plane, and change from the link to the chains. I think my brain is too far from my feet also. I own and fly a J3-cub, and think I'm used to the chains.
Bob

Congrats from the east country

Congrats on your first flight Dave,
I am pretty sure I just saw you fly over Joffre while I was out for a noon walk!
When I saw your homebase I figured I better touch base with you. I have an RV9A that is moving out to Stettler for final assembly later this month. Next time you feel like challaging the famous Stettler crosswinds, do a full stop and come say hello. I have two hangers at the airport, the big blue one with my blue CH701 Stol and the white/red hanger with the RV9A. I'll likely be living there for the month of June.
I am booked into Mike Seager for 10 hours of transition in early July so you'll have to share some experiences gained there.
Really looking forward to my second first flight.
Cam Andres
C-FCAM CH701 STOL
C-FTLL RV9A - moving to airport for final assembly
Nevis AB

Congratulations!

It's nice to see another -8 take to the Canadian sky. My son lives in Airdrie so I may head out that way one of these days.

Congrats on your first flight Dave,
I am pretty sure I just saw you fly over Joffre while I was out for a noon walk!
When I saw your homebase I figured I better touch base with you.

Cam Andres
C-FCAM CH701 STOL
C-FTLL RV9A - moving to airport for final assembly
Nevis AB

Hi Cam,

Yep that was me, today was a just go out and have fun day!! So I put 1.6 on the Hobbs and can't stop grinning :D

We will have to get together one of these days, would love to see your -9A project.

Dave

Sweet sounding RV8

She sounded really strong Dave, not sure if you have any mufflers on but don't change a thing in the noise department. While I was stopped doing the "airplane stare" a co-worker joking asked me what that airplane was, how many people it had on board and what movie they were watching. I got 3 out of 3 on that one. He thought I was making it up.:rolleyes:
Looking forward to connecting in the future.
Cam Andres
C-FCAM CH701
C-FTLL RV9A Aerosport IO360 (almost there, into final assembly)

Congrats!!! Could it be.....

Laser's -8! It certainly was in the hands of a very skilled pilot/owner before you. No doubt that -8 was very cared for and flown right! I'm sure he was sad to see it go.

Enjoy your new ride!

Don

Laser's -8! It certainly was in the hands of a very skilled pilot/owner before you. No doubt that -8 was very cared for and flown right! I'm sure he was sad to see it go.

Enjoy your new ride!

Don

Hi Don,

Yes I think Brett was sad to see the "Bald Eagle" go, but we all go through changes in our lives... the best thing about purchasing the -8 from Brett is that I gained a friend!!

I could not of asked for more from a person to complete the deal, and appreciate everything he has done for me to make my dream happen!

One thing I found was after letting the tail come down slowly and once I pinned the tail down she got a little squirrelly... I'm pretty sure I was over controlling as the tail link on the tail wheel makes control pretty sensitive.

Dave

imagejpg1_zps0b3b2725.jpg

I have friends who have gottena ride in a -8 - no real -8 experience, and they all report the same thing...that they found themselves in a pilot induced horizontal PIO due to overcontrolling on teh rudders.

Is this easy to do with RV's?

Is going to the chains the solution?

Was there a change in the tailwheel design over time to make them a little less sensitive?

Thanks!

Congrats! I struggled with the link at first as well. By flight number three you will love it. It's like power steering for the tail so I set the tail down at lower speeds than my first flight which helps. No more dancing on the pedals to feel where the tailwheel is. It's right where you left it! As I was advised when I first flew mine and wondered about my ability to keep the tail in check....don't change anything right off the bat. Get used to it and chances are really good you will love that link. I certainly do.

Last edited:
Well 3 flights in and it's definitely getting better, I still need to relax the rudder inputs initially a bit more and not worry about maintaining the centre line and just hold a straight track down the runway and slowly bring it back to centre once the track is stable.

I think my next flight will be dedicated to stop and go's if the pattern is not busy, lately it's been touch and go's....

Well 3 flights in and it's definitely getting better, I still need to relax the rudder inputs initially a bit more and not worry about maintaining the centre line and just hold a straight track down the runway and slowly bring it back to centre once the track is stable.

I think my next flight will be dedicated to stop and go's if the pattern is not busy, lately it's been touch and go's....

You aren't far from it being second nature. It happens quickly.

Congratulations on your new baby. I see that it was captured from the Americans. You may want to put a large maple leaf on it so that I don't sneak up on your six and mistake you for one of them.

Enjoy your new ride!

Don

Indeed it was, indeed he was, and indeed I am (sad)! I had the privilege of sharing a hangar with Laser and Bald Eagle for 3 years. Flew my first formation flights alongside them, flew my first loops and rolls in that plane with Laser as my IP. True, Bald Eagle has been replaced by a pretty neat little Pitts, also flown by an ex-Snowbird, but having a renter (even as good a guy as Cheapo) is not the same as having a partner, particularly when that partner turns into as good a friend as Laser has. As much as I miss having the former GLZR Bald Eagle around, I will miss Laser a lot more when he moves to Okotoks at the end of the month:(

So great, however, to see the plane being truly enjoyed and appreciated by its new owner and his family. Just watch out; that airplane will automatically execute the low approach and break for landing if you're not paying attention! It knows nothing of the standard circuit pattern;)

Back