- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Keep VAF Going
Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Old 08-25-2013, 12:40 PM

Default Cracked Windshield

I have a small crack in the windshield and I wanted to ask the opinions of the builders if I should proceed or replace the windshield. I am pretty sure the crack is a result of using Locktite on the screws the night before fiberglassing the windshield fairing. The windshield was covered with tape plastic etc. so I didnt realize the crack was there until I removed the tape. My thoughts are, #1 I could build on, test fly and see what happens before I paint it. #2 maybe drill stop it and add some sort of glue. (What type of glue) #3 Remove and replace.
Any advice would be appreciated.
(A word of warning. Dont use Loctite anywhere around the canopy)

Last edited by Larry Brown : 08-25-2013 at 02:47 PM. Reason: spell error
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM

When I had my plane painted, the shop put about a 1/4" bead of sealant around the windscreen and canopy as a finishing touch. It's purely cosmetic, but I wonder if something like that might cover the repair in this case?
Old 08-25-2013, 02:51 PM

You can stop drill and then fill the hole with this stuff, it becomes virtually invisible if you use the clear version of the product, especially for a small hole;

http://www.urethanesupply.com/PlastiFix/

Cheers
RV-7 Phase 2, 30 Oct 2012
1100 hrs Feb 2020
Old 08-25-2013, 06:34 PM

I thought the instructions were pretty clear about not using locktite on the screws of the canopy due to an interaction on the canopy. I could be wrong but I will look tomorrow when I go to the airport. I put pro seal on the screws as I put them in. You could find out what others did.
Smilin' Jack
APRS/ WB4JKY
Retired Corporate Pilot CFI-AI, MEL
CE500, LRJT, HS25, C650, SBJT, CL60
Hunt Aviation, LLC.
Pilot Service, IPC's Biennials.
Comm Glider
Old 08-25-2013, 07:33 PM

Yes..you are not suppose to use loctite on those screws. I did it too, and it caused spider cracks within hours. I removed to screws and replaced them, cleaned up all the loctite I could. The cracks have not gotten any worse. I could still keep an eye on mine because they on the rear window (tip up).

RV7 N612RA, flying since july 2012
E-170/175

RV10 Tail Kit complete, Wings 98%, Working on Finishing Kit, AEIO-540 on the stand
Acro Sport 2 on deck.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:05 PM

larry, good luck with the minor crack and the build. was thinking about giving you a call and checking in. whats next?
Stuart, Fl / East Hampton,Ct / Virgin Gorda, BVI - villa sold.
VAF #840 EAA AOPA FAC FABA QB SPA
addicted pickle ball player
https://i.postimg.cc/tn3h4svg/IMG-3101.jpg
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 PM

Default Cracked windshield

Thanks for the replies.
(Smilin Jack) I could not find a reference in the van's 7 manual that says not to use Loctite, but after it happened, I did read the label on the back of the Loctite bottle. It does say "May attack some thermoplastics". Lessen learned

(eddieseve) Thanks for the info. I will check that web site out and maybe give them a call.

(ChiefPilot) Yes I was planning on putting a bead of sealer here. My fear is that the crack will continue. I have no experience with drill stopping. (First time builder).

Hey Turbo, I still need to decide whether I should remove the windshield and start over or just continue.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:37 PM

I cannot offer any words of wisdom but I would build on. Others have also experienced this and things have remained intact. You COULD stop drill what you can see....but it's what you CAN'T see that would cause me concern. Every single screw could be spidered like that. So therefore I doubt 1 stop drill would be effective. I say replace it or leave it as is. If you aren't painting it right away I would definately leave it alone til after test flying.

Good luck.

Track my RV7A!!

Bought my flying -7A
Building an -8! (Fuse)