What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

First Flight - N781TD

TCONROY

Well Known Member
Today our RV-7 made its first FLIGHT in the comfortable and experienced hands of Joe Blank who graciously agreed to be our test pilot.

Joe arrived in the morning and we went over the Advanced Flight Systems AF-5600 EFIS displays, the Garmin GTN-750 and GNC-255 GPS/NAV/COM radios and VP-X. We discussed aircraft systems, failure modes, and contingency planning. We also went through the Test Card agenda and discussed emergency procedures and different abort situations. Joe performed another extensive walk-around inspection and couldn't find an excuse not to fly :).

Joe departed Aurora State Airport (KUAO), also home to the mother ship, and climbed to 4,000ft for about 45 minutes and maintained high power settings for the duration of the flight. He claimed it flew straight and true! About 30 minutes into the flight he performed 2 power-off stalls and said it broke straight-ahead at 45 KIAS both times. He then worked his way back down to the pattern and performed a medal worthy wheel landing. Despite owning his own RV-6 and flying the factory demo airplanes, I swear he had the RV Grin as he taxi'd in :D.

IMG_7445.JPG

IMG_6514.JPG

After Joe returned, we removed the cowl and did a careful inspection. No leaks or issues to speak of. We fueled up and then it was my turn to fly the machine I have spent so much time and effort on. I can't even being to explain how incredible it was when I saw the airport get further away below me. I looked outside that big bubble canopy and just grinned....this moment is the reason why I worked so hard. What a feeling!
I spent about 20 minutes up in the air and she ran like a champ. Engine instruments were rock solid and she stalled right at 45 KIAS as Joe had found in the previous flight. I taxi'd in and experienced the RV Grin.

IMG_6526.JPG

We did another inspection, added some more fuel and my Co-Builder father took her up for about 20 minutes. He also discovered what the RV Grin was...
IMG_6520.JPG

I want to take this opportunity to thank all the wonderful people at Van's Aircraft for their support over the 5 1/2 years we spent building. Joe, Gus, Ken, and Sterling were always happy to help when I would call with questions. I can't think of any other business that provides FREE support for their products for that long. Barb, Daryl, Dale, and Fedosia for keeping the front office running and kits/parts ready for pick-up on time. And to all the staff in the warehouse that manufacture, organize, and pack a bunch of metal together so guys like us can put it all together.
Dick...you have designed an absolutely wonderful airplane that flies incredibly well. You all ROCK!

There are so many people that have had a part in our project over the years. Rob Hickman from Advanced Flight Systems deserves a mention for his invaluable help and support over the years. He also builds one heck of an EFIS screen.
Doug Reeves, you have built a website like no other I have ever seen. You facilitate the gathering of a group of people who have a common interest and passion for building and flying these wonderful airplanes. I cannot even begin to count how many tips, hints, suggestions, questions, ideas, and explanations I have discovered or have had answered on this site. Thanks to all the folks like Mel, Vic, Jack, and that Mike guy that seems to never leave the VAF website....ever :)! Send in your donations folks!

This project began in 2009 soon after I graduated college when I was a full-time flight instructor. I have had several aviation jobs since then have now reached my career aspiration as a corporate pilot. In that time I also found and married an incredible woman and together we have an adorable 15 month old boy (my future CoPilot). My point is, this airplane is a lot more than just a project I pounded rivets on; it tells a story of my life. There is a combined total of probably one year I didn't even touch the project when I was flying freight...when I got married...and when we had a baby. Life happens and no matter what gets in your way, keep building. Speaking of my wife, I couldn't have done this without her support. That is also why we have heated seats :).

See you all at Oshkosh!

I woke up this morning, turned on VAF and saw Trevor's milestone post. Awesome news my friend!!! Very proud of you and your build team. Enjoy!!
Tom

FANTASTIC news, Trevor! It's so good to see your RV take to the air! Congratulations to you and your Dad for a job well done! :)

Congrats!

Congrats to you and the family Trevor, nice to see all that hard work paying off! Enjoy the -7! Great success story!

First flight

A large well-done to you and your family Trevor. What a great American story! Have fun and be safe in phase one.

I could have sworn Dewey was in Dallas.... all dressed up !
He looks like he is having way more fun in the right seat of your new creation. Congratulations on a job well done !!!! Looks great.

Great news Trevor!

Congratulations!

I agree The VAF site is the most valuable part of the build with all the people here to gain from their knowledge.

But, you were a big help to me while I was getting my avionics fined tuned before and after first flight.

Great job and hope to make it out someday to see it in person.

Congrats on the first flight. Mine was about 1 year ago and the grin hasn't come off yet. :D

Have fun with Phase 1!

Congrats Trevor and Dewey!!
Sounds like you had one if the best avionics shops ( speaking from experience) design and install your panel:)
...and you gotta love Joe Blank...he is definitely a favorite in our journey.
Enjoy phase one!

Another TD flies!

Congratulations! One of the most amazing experiences in the world is flying a plane you built yourself. Enjoy!

Where do I begin?

Congratulations Trevor on so many levels...new plane, new wife, new baby and a pilot/father to share it with.
You're right, life happens while these amazing projects grind along. Enjoy every day;)

Congrats Trevor and Dewey!!
Sounds like you had one if the best avionics shops ( speaking from experience) design and install your panel:)
...and you gotta love Joe Blank...he is definitely a favorite in our journey.
Enjoy phase one!

OK, that's IT! Now you guys are making me blush...:rolleyes: Seriously it was a team effort the entire way. Trevor & Dewey put together a fantastic machine and deserve all of the credit. I began Tech Counseling on their aircraft several years ago and after many visits I had no concerns and I'd be happy to fly an aircraft that was this well prepared anytime. The workmanship is very nice but the systems installation was top shelf.

I also gotta give a shout out to Rob Hickman who took time out of his day to fly over in his RV-10 and assist with the effort. Robs got at least 2 RV's under his belt (that I know of) and years of experience in other types as well as a vast avionics presence. I felt very comfortable with Rob and Trevor schooling me up on the AFS and Garmin gear, going over failure scenarios, and even showing me how to recover from my fat finger mistakes if they occurred (which they DID) :eek:

So kudos to all involved on a team effort!

Back