What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Sensenich GA vs Catto prop on RV-9A 150HP

Jesse

Well Known Member
We finished our testing on the Sensenich prop versus the Catto 2-blade prop this afternoon. I will post details tomorrow. Neither was a stunning winner. We did takeoff and climb tests, static rpm on the ground and speed runs at 8,500 (6.6gph) and 10,500 (6.1gph). There were some slight temperature differences, but overall similar conditions. We tested 2 different Catto props, one pitched for 160hp and one for 150hp and 2 different pitch settings (5 & 6) on the Sensenich. We have tested one other pitch setting (4) and it was a little slower, but likely better in climb, but I don't have those numbers. I may run that test again if time permits before the plane goes to the new owner.

My impression of the two propellers, overall:

I really like the tip design of the Sensenich. It is, IMHO, the nicest looking tip I have seen. It is nice and light with a nice hub. I really like the way they have the pitch setting pins for changing pitch without using a protractor like all GA props I have used in the past. It really takes only 10-15 minutes to change the pitch. Easy to do in a field if you need different performance. You just need a screw driver and a 5/8" socket on a torque wrench. Sensenich recommends the bird lock washers so no safety wire is needed. The options of being able to set pitch for climb or cruise is really nice. We have never needed a climb setting, but if going on a trip to the mountains and departing a high DA airport with a short runway, I'd be very glad for it. Most of our flying is at sea level and long runways, so it doesn't matter much for us. Probable the thing I like the most about the Sensenich is the hollow I-beam construction of straight carbon fiber. I believe Sensenich has done a great job designing this prop and we have been very happy with it. The thing I like the least about the Sensenich is their official red line of 2,700 rpm. I know that is technically he redline of the engine, and I won't get into that discussion, but if you don't pay attention in a descent at full power, it's easy to take the prop over redline.

The Catto is also a very nice looking prop. The tips aren't as nice as the Sensenich, but the shaft of the blades look really nice. Craig has done a great job designing a fantastic all-around prop that provides good performance in climb and speed. His recommendation for 150HP has proven to me that he knows his prop and knows how to build it for the RV. I have seen Catto's with no nickel leading edge and I certainly prefer the apparent durability of having it. We haven't flown it much with the leading edge, but I am confident it will last better. I personally feel more comfortable with a metal or carbon fiber blade, but that probably just proves that I am a relatively new pilot. I know people have been flying wood props for a very long time and I know there are advantages to them. I do like the Catto redline of 3,000rpm and max continuous of 2,750.

Actual numbers to follow, but overall the Catto got 151ktas at 8,500 and the Sensenich got 150ktas at the same altitude. They were both a little slower at 10,500 as would be expected, but I think the Catto dropped a little more than the Sensenich. There is probably enough variation in conditions to call them even with the Sensenich at pitch setting 5 and the Catto built for 150HP. IIRC, both were within 20 rpm at these speeds. In a non-well-documented test, we saw 154ktas on the Sensenich at pitch setting 5, but I don't have rpm, temp or fuel flow numbers, so we can't include those tests.

Since people seem to be wanting to add heavy crush plates on their Catto props for CG reasons, I haven't even worried about the weight differences, if any. I would say they are within a few pounds. The official numbers are available, I am sure.

Too busy to gather all the data and post, but we ran the Sensenich at pitch 4 today and averaged 151 at 8500, so nothing spectacular still. Now we need to try pitch 3. One thing we noticed is that the Sensenich feels like it runs substantially smoother at low rpm than the Catto.

Catto vs. Sensenich GA

Jesse,

Thanks for the great post. I'm considering both of these props so I'm very interested in your results. When you say "nothing spectacular" I'm curious - in comparison to what? Are there other props that are substantially better?

Thanks,
Dale

I meant that there was no spectacular difference between the two. They are both really good props. Our -9A is gone now and going to be operating out of a 1,700' strip at 7,500msl. In that case I think the GA prop would be substantially better.

Back