What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

I don't know my own strength!

N941WR

Legacy Member
This morning my son and I were going to fly to Charlotte to visit some friends but apparently the exercise I've been doing is working because when I went to turn on the fuel pump the toggle broke off. Needless to say, our flight was canceled.

The Tyco Electronics W31-X2M1G-5 breaker / switch is $24.85 from Aircraft Spruce. Ouch! However, I did order a spare.

Broken%2520fuel%2520pump%2520braker-switch.jpg

This part has maybe 350 to 400 hours on it and is the third one I've installed. The first two wouldn't stay on after the plane sat out in the sun on a hot day.

Last edited:
Good to know. Too expensive, too heavy and too prone to failure for what it has to do.

Those Tyco switch/breakers are junk, I would never have one in my airplane.

There is actually an AD on a version of this device used as a switch in Bonanzas. They were catching on fire. Since they were identified with a Beech p/n the AD didn't reach past the Bonanza.

Echo what was said- they are not suitable for aircraft.

OK guys, what do you replace them with and will the replacements drop right in or will I have to make a new buss bar?

I can't imagine that a new one doesn't meet the FAA standards. Mine are now six years old +/-. One year in my shop and five in the plane.

Here is an FAA SAIB on the subject. What I don't know is if the replacement breakers of the new or old design.

Last edited:
I used a lighted (green) rocker switch for my aux fuel pump. Easy to notice if I accidentally leave it on.

Bill
I would like to be able to find this thread easily later.
If you agree, can you or a mod change the title of the thread to something with a referrence to the circuit breaker toggle switch or some such?

John

I used a lighted (green) rocker switch for my aux fuel pump. Easy to notice if I accidentally leave it on.

When I designed my panel, I wanted to use aircraft parts, thus this switch is my breaker. And I had a green LED at the top of the panel when this was on, for the same reason you used your rocker switch.

My entire panel has either breaker-switches or pullable breakers.

Bill
I would like to be able to find this thread easily later.
If you agree, can you or a mod change the title of the thread to something with a referrence to the circuit breaker toggle switch or some such?

John

John,

Just search on "Circuit breaker", it will come up. No need to change the title.

The Klxon 7270 series (Sensata.com ) works much better, but will not be as reliable as using a switch with a separate CB. Basically CB trip mechanisms aren't good at being used as switches.

I saw the title and was thinking more like this:

"Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of my hat!"
"Oh, that trick never works.."
"Nothing up my sleeve ... Presto!"
*RAWR!* as Bullwinkle pulls a lion out of the hat
"Ohh.. Guess I don't know my own strength"

:)

TODR

replace with same

Replace it with the same switch!
Most of what has been said about these is probably somewhat true.
Fact is, everyone has been using them for years and for most people these last a lifetime.
The old story about the breaker in the Bonanzas is uh..... very old and true
but the new ones are not manufactured with a AD on them.
If you change to a different SCB like Klixon or some other brand
I know it won't fit. The hook up contacts are different and the size of the hole is probably different too. Yes, you can make it fit but chances are if you replace it with the same you'll never have to do it again.
Others may not agree but it is what I would do.

Keep them seperated

This morning my son and I were going to fly to Charlotte to visit some friends but apparently the exercise I've been doing is working because when I went to turn on the fuel pump the toggle broke off. Needless to say, our flight was canceled.

The Tyco Electronics W31-X2M1G-5 breaker / switch is $24.85 from Aircraft Spruce. Ouch! However, I did order a spare.

Broken%2520fuel%2520pump%2520braker-switch.jpg

This part has maybe 350 to 400 hours on it and is the third one I've installed. The first two wouldn't stay on after the plane sat out in the sun on a hot day.

It is not recomended to use the integrated Circuit Breaker/switch by all experts.
it is much more relaible to use them seperately; circuit breaker for protection and switch for turn on/off of an electric device.
Ariel Arielly
RV8A 80295 100 hours on the hobbs

Back