What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Dick VanGrunsven to head Aircraft Kit Industry Association

rv7boy

Forum Peruser
This is interesting. Van has been selected as President of the new Aircraft Kit Industry Association.

The AOPA news release, written by our own Dave Hirschman, states, the organization will be "a new association that aims to increase flight safety, promote Experimental aircraft, and defend the freedom of individuals to build their own airplanes."

Sounds like a good thing to me, especially with Van at the helm. Let's hope it helps not only in the area of improving our safety record, but also in the area of improving our image in the public eye.

Last edited:
Wish they would allow owners of kit airplanes to join too, even as non-voting members or some similar lesser position. I'd contribute in a heartbeat.

I love it. When I clicked on the article, I was hoping that he would have other folks on his staff like John Monnett and others. And he did!

That's an awesome move to bring in other manufacturers early, so it doesn't become one dimensional and simply "The RV Club"; it's truly about kit built airplanes.

I'm in.

A new Aircraft Kit Industry Association....with the press release via an AOPA writer. Interesting.

A new Aircraft Kit Industry Association....with the press release via an AOPA writer. Interesting.

Actually, Dave Hirschman is an RV-3 owner and strong advocate for homebuilding. He is probably a lot of the reason for the increased amount of homebuilt themed content in the AOPA magazine.

Great news

This is great news. What a strong group of kit manufactures. This group is the top of the best. I am very impressed that all the manufactures are able to put their ego's aside and join together to improve safety and be an advocate for kit builders.

It may be a good idea to include builders at a nominal fee to help support the organization and show the FAA, EAA, and AOPA, that AKIA is backed by many builders. Im in for sure!

Actually, Dave Hirschman is an RV-3 owner and strong advocate for homebuilding. He is probably a lot of the reason for the increased amount of homebuilt themed content in the AOPA magazine.

Interesting all the same that this story has been online for 3 days and there is not a word about it on the EAA site.

The reason it's not on EAA's website yet is because someone was a bit early in making the announcement...folks, Van didn't even know that was going to be posted on AOPA's website yesterday.

EAA is looking forward to the opportunity ahead with the new Kit Industry Association.

I personally think it's great...the kit industry needs a trade association in the same fashion avionics and GA manufacturers need a trade association.

:cool:

Is it just me or did anyone else chuckle and think "Hmmm" when they read the name.

Aircraft Kit Industry Association (AKIA), a group is composed of about a dozen kit manufacturers.

IKEA is a privately held, international home products company that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture

OK maybe it's just me being juvenile...still seems funny to me. :D

RE: Never

I would never ever in any instance or time think you are juvenile.......:D
Great to see the man lead out this organization during these interesting time we pilot type and experimental types live in.

Is it just me or did anyone else chuckle and think "Hmmm" when they read the name.

Aircraft Kit Industry Association (AKIA), a group is composed of about a dozen kit manufacturers.

IKEA is a privately held, international home products company that designs and sells ready-to-assemble furniture

OK maybe it's just me being juvenile...still seems funny to me. :D

I find this line to be the most interesting in the article.

The group is composed of about a dozen kit manufacturers including Kitfox, Lancair, Sonex, Vans, and Zenith, along with suppliers Aircraft Spruce and Wicks, Gustafson said.

If AKIA was quietly formed by 2 or maybe 3 people, then you that would be one thing. But this is a large group of reputable people who apparently feel the same way many of us feel about EAA. Quietly getting that many reputable people on the same page, at the same time, isn't easy when they have business reputations at risk.

There has apparently been an strong undercurrent of discussion and disappointment that has been going on for a while.

Kudos to those taking the risk to do something about it.

Phil

Last edited:
I think some folks are reading WAY too much into this. Its a trade organization composed of plane manufacturing companies. I dont see any evidence that it was formed out of disatisfaction with EAA, nor that it is in any way a homebuilders support group. If you are unhappy with EAA, figure out how to vote in new leadership or stop supporting them, but this group was not formed as an alternative to EAA.

erich

Although we really don't know much about the motivations behind the formation of the group (and no, it doesn't sound like a "membership organization")....if you look at the names of the companies invovled, and add up all the advertising that they buy in the various magazines...well, they probably will get their telephone calls answered!

I look forward to hearing more and supporting this effort - if for no other reason than I trust the motives of the people invovled.

Paul

I think Paul hit it.

The EAA used to focus exclusivly on representing experimental aviation and fighting for the liberties of experimental aviation. Instead the have abandoned that charter in favor of become more diversified and the experimental community has paid the price.

It's not about having membership. It's about having representation in Washington when others are trying to regulate us out of the airspace. It's about representing us when we are told that we aren't doing everything we can to support builders in building airworthy airplanes. Or that we are THE largest problem wit GA safety statistics. Or that we are incubating a culture that is lacking safety awareness.

You don't need members to do that. If they want members so they can say they represent 100,000 people, then great. But it's not a requirement to adequately represent the industry.

Phil

Phil, that is simply not true. EAA has never been exclusively anything. Paul P from day one has said everyone is welcome. He still says that to this day...said it to me yesterday as a matter of fact.

EAA represents the experimental community. It has representation of many communities...warbirds, aerobatic, ultralight, vintage...gotta remember, Paul P was a homebuilder, warbird pilot, vintage pilot, and DC watchdog.

A kit industry association is great!

I think some folks are reading WAY too much into this. Its a trade organization composed of plane manufacturing companies. I dont see any evidence that it was formed out of disatisfaction with EAA, nor that it is in any way a homebuilders support group. If you are unhappy with EAA, figure out how to vote in new leadership or stop supporting them, but this group was not formed as an alternative to EAA.

Yes it's a trade organization, but why was it formed, and why now? I have spoken with 3 of the people involved and they each said exactly the same thing - this new group came about because the industry no longer had confidence in EAA to represent their industry and interests.

Yellowfan...I'm quite curious as to who you are. No signature on any board you participate in (at least I've never seen anything). Would you be willing to call me or Rod later today?

The AOPA news release, written by our own Dave Hirschman, states, the organization will be "a new association that aims to increase flight safety, promote Experimental aircraft, and defend the freedom of individuals to build their own airplanes."
In my opinion, this IS a direct SLAP to the face on Hightower as a leader and EAA as an organization. Who else would you expect to promote and defend Experimental aircraft builders and manufacturers other than EAA? Having to create an new organization that historically reflects the original charter of EAA just proves, to me, that they have abandoned their original charter, and no longer represent the homebuilders and kit manufacturers.

I can't see Van taking a leadership position in a new organization unless he was convinced that EAA was not and will not support them. I believe Van will do a honorable job and I certainly hope they will allow membership outside the manufacturer community as a way for us homebuilders and experimental flyers to show our support.

[ed. Deleted one sentence I thought crossed the line of civility. dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Warbirds

The Warbirds have been around almost since the beginning of EAA. The participation of the Mustang and Bearcat at EAA events, just to cite a couple of examples, precedes the use of the term "warbirds" by many years.
I could not even afford to buy fuel for a 30 minute flight in a Mustang. However I fully support the existence of the Warbirds Division of EAA, even though I am not a Warbirds member.
In my opinion badmouthing the Warbirds should not be a port of this discussion. We should also remember that the Warbirds Division includes the L planes of the WWII era and later. Most of these are affordable, entry level light aircraft.

Agreed. The warbirds are fine and are part of the Experimental community.

Chad,

You're probably one of the only folks I really like sitting in EAA offices today. And to be perfectly honest, you're the guy I feel most terrible for because you're the guy who has a homebuilders vision and you're the guy Hightower has made stand in front of the curtain to entertain the crowd.

But just looking at the facts, it's pretty clear that the formation of AKIA reflects poorly on EAA supporting Experimental aviation.

It's hard for me to believe that this group of leaders in the experimental community would form an organization without bringing the EAA along for added credibility. But the EAA's name is absent. Why?

One of two things happened:
1) They approached EAA to participate and the EAA said no; or
2) They formed this group because they believed EAA was no longer meeting the needs of the industry.

Whichever it is, it's really bad for EAA.

It's not that hard to get content and commentary on the EAA website. Just look at some of the events such as the Jimmy Leeward accident or other accidents. There has been commentary posted within the hour of the event.

In this case it has been 5 days now and the EAA just now posted their own version of the story about AKIA. That makes me lean closer to #2 than #1.

I hope the EAA and AKIA both thrive in their respective missions.

Phil

Last edited:
A question to those of you suggesting that AKIA was formed due to some dissatisfaction with EAA leadership: Do you believe that GAMA was formed out of manufacturers' frustration with AOPA? Both organizations seem to be doing fairly well. A users' advocacy group and a manufacturers' alliance are two very different things. I am neither a member of the EAA nor a fan of its leadership but I don't see the negativity in this that some are suggesting.

...I look forward to hearing more and supporting this effort - if for no other reason than I trust the motives of the people invovled.

Paul

Put me down for a "yes" I too trust this group. There companies depend on doing right for us. Us = the EAA.

I'm a member of many groups EAA, AOPA, MPA, VAF,....etc. each has it's strengths and voice.

Agreed. The warbirds are fine and are part of the Experimental community.

Chad,

You're probably one of the only folks I really like sitting in EAA offices today. And to be perfectly honest, you're the guy I feel most terrible for because you're the guy who has a homebuilders vision and you're the guy Hightower has made stand in front of the curtain to entertain the crowd.

But just looking at the facts, it's pretty clear that the formation of AKIA reflects poorly on EAA supporting Experimental aviation.

It's hard for me to believe that this group of leaders in the experimental community would form an organization without bringing the EAA along for added credibility. But the EAA's name is absent. Why?

One of two things happened:
1) They approached EAA to participate and the EAA said no; or
2) They formed this group because they believed EAA was no longer meeting the needs of the industry.

Whichever it is, it's really bad for EAA.

It's not that hard to get content and commentary on the EAA website. Just look at some of the events such as the Jimmy Leeward accident or other accidents. There has been commentary posted within the hour of the event.

In this case it has been 5 days now and the EAA just now posted their own version of the story about AKIA. That makes me lean closer to #2 than #1.

I hope the EAA and AKIA both thrive in their respective missions.

Phil
I hope you and I can meet and shake hands at the show Phil.

I'm speaking on behalf of myself here, not EAA, but I heard some talk about an association on Friday last week. I thought they were talking about SAA.

On behalf of EAA, we heard about it yesterday morning, not five days ago. So something going on the EAA website today is pretty timely if you ask me.

This group formed from manufacturers. Since EAA isn't a manufacturer, we weren't asked to be a part of founding it.

I talked in person to John Monnett yesterday, and I asked him about it. He was excited about it, and wants EAA to either join (if they allow) or just work along with them on mutually beneficial issues, as does Van, whom I've been emailing about this.

I, we, all here at EAA see no conflict at all, and I'm quite pleased to see it coming together. I'm interested to see it get organized and we'll do good work together.

+1 on this, Chad.

It's not a conspiracy theory, guys! The new group appears to be an industry trade association. The EAA is a grassroots users' association.

If the EAA was a founding member, wouldn't people be screaming about more commercialization of the EAA? They're right there behind them, in support of the group. But not leading -- and they shouldn't be!

I, we, all here at EAA see no conflict at all, and I'm quite pleased to see it coming together. I'm interested to see it get organized and we'll do good work together.

Back