What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

You can paint your plane

kenmorris

After 300 hours, it is time. I am in the middle of painting my RV7A. I built a paint booth in my hangar and I am using DuPont AF700 series basecoat/clearcoat aviation paint. One nice thing about using this product, if you make a mistake, you can wait 6/9 hours and sand repaint. I used some metallic colors and these must be re-coated if sanded.

DuPont 3205S - Aluminum Cleaner
DuPont 3206S - Aluminum Conversion Coating
Corlar 13550S - Corrosion-Resistant Epoxy Primer

2 gals AF700 white
1.5 gal AF700 silver
1 pt AF700 gold
1.5 gal AF730 clear

Cost: $1,800.00 aprox.

http://65.44.85.139

I used 12" n-numbers for island trips

54.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Ken, especially on paint quantities. I'm painting mine before assembly. I've painted quite a bit before, but every bit of information helps.

Guy

not artistic

Although I paint pretty well, I have almost zero artistic ability; so I will leave this part of the build to a paint shop.

More power to you though!

Fiberglas parts

Ken... thanks for the details.

One question though, what paint materials did you use on the fiberglas parts?

...and another Q. - did you get the materials from your local auto paint dealer, since I notice that the AF series Imron is aircraft specific?

gil A

Gil,

Dupont AF700 paint is sold by auto/industrial suppliers. To find a supplier near you go to the Dupont Web site.

http://pc.dupont.com/Phantom/content/aviation-main.html

The plastic parts were sanded with 220 then surfaced with epoxy resin and while still wet a slurry of micro balloons. Then I primed with a high solids epoxy primer/surfacer, also Dupont Corlar? 13560S, then painted with the same topcoat system. I am no chemist and believe that using products from the same manufacturer takes the guesswork out of it.

The mechanics of painting an airplane seems daunting, but not as much as building the plane in the first place. The majority of builders would never pay 6,000 to 10,000 dollars to someone to build the canopy on an RV. The amount of work is equivalent. Using basecoat/clearcoat paint systems, the pucker factor is removed. If you screw up, sand and recoat. Not as bad as cracking a canopy.

Guy,

Wish I would have painted mine during the building process - it's a lot like building an automobile - after welding the steel they paint and then assemble. The RV kits have progressed to a point where post-assembly adjustments are not needed. You got it right - when you're done you'll really be done.

Ken

I have been painting my -8 with Imron. I have had difficulty with getting the orange peel down to an acceptable level with my HVLP gun...lots of do-overs. This past weekend, I shot some parts and hurried them into my shop for curing in order to keep the gnats off of them. I went out to check the parts later on and discovered that a lizard had glued himself to my fresh paint job...dingdangit! I toyed with the idea of letting him mummify over time and shooting him with clearcoat so that I could call him my mascot, but compassion prevailed. I pulled him off after much tugging and he scampered away with a brand new Petty Blue belly. If you do it yourself, be ready for such "setbacks"...I have learned much about painting over the last months.

paint your plane

You must live in a warmer climate than I here in Southwestern Ontario. I took my RV-7 to a paint shop in early January and to date, I still don't have it back. He's "still working on it" despite many phone calls..many of them heated. It may be ready "soon." It's only now in early May that the outside temperatures are getting warm enough to think about painting in my unheated hangar.

Very Frustrated Dave

Yes, I am in sub-tropical South Carolina. We are currently enjoying unseasonably cool weather due to global warming...go figure.

I've decided on a paint scheme!

It's taken from different T-34 paint schemes.
It is subject to change a little here and there.

I'm painting it myself with Dupont Imron. So far I've just shot the nosewheel pant. If the rest goes on as good it won't be too hard.

I hope to be flying in a few months!

Anyone know of any "twins" to this paint scheme on an RV?

rv7at34paintvl7.jpg

Recommend painting prior to final assembly, or after test flights, etc?

Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to see what everyone is thinking regarding about the best time to paint. Any issues with painting the wings, fuse, etc seperately, or is it best to wait until all test flights are completed etc.... What are the Pro's vs. Con's

I will be ordering the finishing kit for the RV7A by end of year....so I still have awhile to go even if I do paint the major components seperately.

THanks,

Navy Trainer Scheme?

Mark,

That reminds me of a Navy Trainer type scheme. If its not, sorry if I offended(other branches of service). I'm thinking of painting my 9A in some type of Navy scheme. I think the Navy Goshawks are painted in a red and white scheme. I like yours though.

Triumph1974,

Painting the wings is not a problem. The only down-side to painting your plane in parts is color match and scratches. The color match is due to not mixing the paint the same each batch. If you measure your paint correctly you will not have any problems. If your project is taking more time than you thought, keep the basecoat color in the frig. This is true for any brand ( ie Dupont, Sherwin/Wil, PPG, etc). As far as scratches, once the paint cures wrap in bubble wrap. Also, I have heard many people having problem with orange peel and HVLP guns. Get a zahn cup and reduce to proper viscosity using the proper reducer for the brand of paint you are using. Often the paint is too thick.

Good luck.

KM

NO!

That "N" number would not be legal. The "N" must be the same size and in line with the rest of the number.
BTW, Your RV-7 seems to have an RV-9 horizontal stab. And N4147 is assigned to a Mooney Mite.

Last edited:
Thanks, PainterJohn!

Hi Painter John,
I like some of your ideas...maybe all of them.
I had thought I wouldn't paint the red on the wings at an angle because it would be a little trouble to have the flaps two colors. And the flaps might look like the paint line wasn't lined up when the flaps were down. You solved that problem by leaving the whole flap white.

Also I think the red on the cowling angled like that looks a lot better. I'll definitely think about that one. Ok, thought about it, done deal! I like the wheel pants too! And the way all three angles are lined up..cowling..wheel pants...fuselage. But, I've got a nosewheel...what do you suggest there? Just the same as the mains?

I've put off painting for a little while and have been working on the baffles.

Thanks for the suggestions Painter John!!

Mark

RVTRAINERSmall.jpg

Hey Mark i did some scribbling the other night, and came up with this version of the T34 Mentor Navy Trainer Scheme. I found some pics of some T34s with the trainer scheme applied. I just thought id share it with ya. the number on the vert, is an N number.. although i dont know if thats legal in that format, but i think it looks cool. Let me know if it helps
cheers
painter john

rv7at34paintvl7.jpg

Back