Donate methods

Point your
camera app here
to donate fast.

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-10
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2006, 04:53 PM

Lightbulb Brush on heat barrier testing

Ok guys and gals, now that we fixed the fuel leak on 331JH,(still have "black death" on my fingernails from last week) and I have like, maybe, 2 minutes between trips to Rio (yep, hard life hehe), it is time for testing of the sample we got from that vendor at OSH.
I am looking for objective ideas on how to test, to see if the product is worth our time. We have been provided a sample of .040 aluminum with about a 25 mil thickness of the black heat barrier coating I previously spoke about. The sample is about 2" by 3" in size. The dude at OSH said the coolest demo they have is to put the provided sample in a frying pan and next to the sample, to be frying an egg. Then have an ice cube on top of the sample, and it sits there not melting. In fact it melts at the same rate as an ice cube sitting on the counter. My idea was to blow air from my heat gun and do a "touch test". Of course I will protect from hot air blowing around the sample to prevent back side heating due to eddies flowing around sample. It is suppose to be good to 500 deg f.
Is there anybody out there interested in this product that would like me to do maybe a different test? Maybe a group buy? It runs like 140 bucks for 2 gallons and numerous RV'rs could possibly benefit. I actually am cautiously excited about the product. Light, brush/roll/spray on....Cheap in a group buy...
I am thinking initially liberally brushing the entire inside of the tunnel to take temp readings to see if I might give all (maybe Vans will sell with kit?????) a possibly very cheap and easy alternative to the unnecessary (according to one any way) Glen SS heat shield. Then, maybe paint the bottom (barrier is paintable) for a double wammy protective barrier...
. Ideas? Suggestions? Comments?
Old 11-06-2008, 01:25 AM

Thumbs up no probs

Just a follow up about the tunnel heat issue. After 50 hours we do have any sign of tunnel heat at all. We have the standard Vans setup.

regards Chris VH-ICY
Old 12-19-2021, 05:36 PM

Default my solution

Attached, youll see pics of a SS foil with a fiberfax sheet in between the belly.
It improve a lot the lowering of temp in the tunnel, but in very hots days (say 85 and up) the problem still seems uncomfortable.[ATTACH]Click image for larger version

Name:	belly isolation rear view.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	19909[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belly isolation left view.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	19908  
Old 12-19-2021, 06:53 PM

Default No tunnel heat issue here...

I have no tunnel heat issue on my -10.

Showplanes cowl, SS heat valves, and Custom Aircraft Exhaust...

RV-10-ER
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+
Old 03-17-2022, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post

Love it when these old threads get resurrected for us current builders. Did you do the Custom Aircraft Exhaust for the cold air induction system?
Old 03-17-2022, 05:23 PM

Default No

I did the custom aircraft exhaust because I used the showplanes cowl and CAI. Talking with showplanes, they werent sure the Vetterman would fit. I am really happy with the custom aircraft exhaust. Looks great and sounds better!

RV-10-ER
N464RL
Going to Paint at Evoke!
Garmin G3X-T, Barrett EFII S32, CAI, MTV-9B

Dues+ Paid 2021,...Thanks DR+
Old 03-17-2022, 05:52 PM

On my RV-3B, a totally different airplane that's similar in this respect: it has the fuel lines and electric fuel pump in the center bay, equivalent the "tunnel" in the RV-10. The bottom of this bay is the inside of the bottom belly skin.

Forward of the spar, I added 1/16" Fiberfrax and overlaid that with .020 grade 2 Titanium that I got from McMaster. I chose that because it was more than adequate as a firewall material; I kept the .040 aluminum forward belly skin becasue that was primary structure. Where there were rivets, I used .063 aluminum spacers. The installation came out looking pretty good.

Haven't flown it yet so I can't say how well it works....

A tip for people who want to assess the temperature of their RV-10 tunnels - use a remote IR thermometer. They are inexpensive and very handy in the kitchen, too.

Dave

Last edited by David Paule : 03-18-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 03-18-2022, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketman1988 View Post

Me either. My setup is completely stock. When Im running heat, it definitely gets warm, but not something to be concerned with.
FlyingThe10 On Facebook
FlyingThe10 On Instagram
Old 03-18-2022, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cderk View Post
Me either. My setup is completely stock. When Im running heat, it definitely gets warm, but not something to be concerned with.
Ditto for me
Old 03-18-2022, 02:31 PM

I have 1/8" of Fibrefrax sandwich on the firewall with SS foil covering that and a SS heat box (singular) on top of the sandwich. Tunnel is reasonably cool at all times. Just flew with a buddy today in his 10 who didn't bother with Fibrefrax or foil or a special heater air box and his tunnel is as cool as mine - barely warm to touch.

I can only say it looks like the "fixes" aren't always necessary. Who knows why.

Hop-Along Aerodrome (12VA)
RV-6A - N30YD - Built '98 / sold '20
RV-10 - N130YD - 50 hours +
65 years running stock DNA