What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

rudder pedal mod

Jake14

Well Known Member
The brake feel on my 14 seemed less than ideal. The flat pedal seems to make you point your toes to apply pressure and a wet sole can cause slippage. Also, it's hard to tell how high to raise your foot for braking; if you raise it too high, your toe hits the hinge bar and causes loss of pressure.

I've also been noticing some after-market pedals which seem to separate the brake and rudder portions of the pedals for a more positive braking action, which seems like a good idea.

I attached a couple of angles to the pedal surface (see pic) to see if it improves things and the difference is very noticeable. I now can tell where on the pedal my foot is located and the braking action seems to be much more positive and even.

Not saying it's something we should all do, different folks have different ergonomics so it may not be an improvement for everyone, but I'm looking for some hard rubber strips I can attach to the angles and make this a permanent change....

2yobi4m.jpg

I assume 6and 14 pedals a similar. I have angle on the bottom of my pedals after experiencing ergo issues similar to you.

500 hours and hundreds of landings latter - no rubber, no problems. Keep it simple. Fly on.

I have exactly the opposite problem. Because my legs are very long my knees are bent so that I have trouble staying off the brakes when applying pressure to the rudder pedals.
I fitted the JD Air rudder pedal extensions to the bottom bar. They worked very well.

Back