What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Exhaust hanger replacements / hanger designs

zkvii

Well Known Member
Hi,

The 2into1 Vetterman system I have on the 7A w/ IO-360 vertical carb has too much movement at the exit of the cowl. I've got the 'original' mid 2000's rubber hose with stainless pipe.

I understand there is a newer design which attaches to the lower mid engine frame bolts and uses a spring wrapped around the tail pipes. I've been search for some photos / details, and failing.... Anybody got details of the current design - any photos of installs?

Photos of your current designs? (KevinH / SamB et al)

Thanks,

Carl

PS: I know it has been a while between posts - been enjoying the flying too much :)

This one? It is for lateral support. The vertical is still tubes smashed on one end, attached at a sump bolt then tubing hose clamped and the other smashed tube connects to a tailpipe wraparound clamp.

VAF_75%20Jul.%2009%2021.48.jpg

It's 2/3 down the home page:
http://www.vettermanexhaust.com

Last edited:
This one? It is for lateral support. The vertical is still tubes smashed on one end, attached at a sump bolt then tubing hose clamped and the other smashed tube connects to a tailpipe wraparound clamp.

VAF_75%20Jul.%2009%2021.48.jpg

It's 2/3 down the home page:
http://www.vettermanexhaust.com

I did this exact style on my 6a and it was perfect for the 100 hours I flew it before selling. Still working fine as far as I know. I liked it much better then the tube idea.

I would watch this kind of setup closely. Attaching the exhaust system so ridigdly to the airframe may cause undue stress and cracking on the exhaust system. That engine shakes pretty good at start up and shutdown, especially the 4 cylinder engines.

Vic

Do you have any pictures of ideas of a more ideal set up Vic? I've been through 3 of my own designs for hanging the exhaust on my -4 and I keep breaking Adel clamps. My last design is similar to that pictured.

Still lovin' the SS cable loop hangers.

Link?

Pics?

Have everything apart for this years condition inspection and sure enough...another broken hanger using SS brake line...

Getting tired of dealing with this on a routine basis...

Thank you...

I've had the original design on my 7 since 2004, 1600+ hrs with zero issues.
Other than replacing the rubber occasionally it has been trouble free.

I made a hangar system along the lines of the older “stock” system as shown in the photos linked above but but with the following mods -

I used the squashed stainless tube hangers as used by Vetterman, but substituted stainless steel springs for the rubber hose. The spring ID fits snugly to the tubes. One end of the spring is silver soldered to the tube. On the other end, the tube was drilled and a roll pin was installed perpendicular to the tube. The roll pin allows you to slide the tube into the spring up to the roll pin, then the roll pin engages the space between the spring coils so that by winding the tube into the spring, the length of the assembly can be adjusted.

The second part of the design is a spreader bar made from a stainless length of all thread about 10” long. I think it is 6-32 thread. It slides into an 8” length of aluminum tubing with 1” of all thread sticking out of each end. The aluminum tube is held in position by a pin through the aluminum tube and all thread. The threaded ends of the spreader bar assembly goes through the holes in the “stock” exhaust clamps and hold the exhaust pipes 8” apart.

The stainless tube spring assemblies are placed on the threaded ends of the spreader bar with the other ends bolted at the sump bolts, again just like the “stock” tube and hose arms.

The advantages are numerous - all stainless construction, no rubber hoses that slide on the tubes allowing the exhaust end to move, no bulky hose clamps in the cowling outlet airstream, full adjustability in exhaust position, the spring arms allow but control exhaust pipe motion, etc. etc.

This setup has been completely reliable in 500 hours. The SS springs came out of McMaster Carr. Neat, tidy, decent looking, works.

Traveling so No pictures. Might find some or take some if anyone interested.

Last edited:
I agree with Walt. I?ve used the rubber hose hangars on all of my airplanes. I do use the heavie MIL 6000 hose, as it seems to stay clamped to the he tubes much better. Yes, once in a while th adel clamps need replacing.

Larry Vetterman, who has forgotten more about exhaust systems than I will ever know, tells me the setup shown with the clamps directly attached to the hangar mounts is OK.

Vic

Funny how some planes I see never have a problem with the stock hose with hose clamp hangar arrangement. For those that come in with slipped apart tail pipe hangars I flatten the stainless tube & drill it, & the hose, for an AN3 bolt/AN970 washer/metal lock nuts. No more slippage problem.

pictures would help

I made a hangar system along the lines of the older ?stock? system as shown in the photos linked above but but with the following mods -

I used the squashed stainless tube hangers as used by Vetterman, but substituted stainless steel springs for the rubber hose. The spring ID fits snugly to the tubes. One end of the spring is silver soldered to the tube. On the other end, the tube was drilled and a roll pin was installed perpendicular to the tube. The roll pin allows you to slide the tube into the spring up to the roll pin, then the roll pin engages the space between the spring coils so that by winding the tube into the spring, the length of the assembly can be adjusted.

The second part of the design is a spreader bar made from a stainless length of all thread about 10? long. I think it is 6-32 thread. It slides into an 8? length of aluminum tubing with 1? of all thread sticking out of each end. The aluminum tube is held in position by a pin through the aluminum tube and all thread. The threaded ends of the spreader bar assembly goes through the holes in the ?stock? exhaust clamps and hold the exhaust pipes 8? apart.

The stainless tube spring assemblies are placed on the threaded ends of the spreader bar with the other ends bolted at the sump bolts, again just like the ?stock? tube and hose arms.

The advantages are numerous - all stainless construction, no rubber hoses that slide on the tubes allowing the exhaust end to move, no bulky hose clamps in the cowling outlet airstream, full adjustability in exhaust position, the spring arms allow but control exhaust pipe motion, etc. etc.

This setup has been completely reliable in 500 hours. The SS springs came out of McMaster Carr. Neat, tidy, decent looking, works.

Traveling so No pictures. Might find some or take some if anyone interested.

Hi Gary

I just got to this point so pictures of this interesting bit of engineering you've done would help.

Thanks.

Stock hanger system on mine, but before assembly I made a bunch of perpendicular cuts to the tubing with a Dremel cut-off wheel, to give give the hose something to bite into. No slippage issues.

the old SAAB hangar

The aviation isle at Auto Zone has a solution that worked for us...
The subject of the image is the carb but you can see the rubber exhaust hangers in the background.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/zr33ydHECxqdhVyq9

That helpful. It's the old style SAAB hangar. I might even have one in the garage from my old Talladaga:
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/131771/Exhaust-Muffler-Hanger-Rear-4235404G/

We don't have autozone in Canada but Canadian Tire might have an aviation section.

Thanks for the lead.

Back