What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake lines

brister

Well Known Member
I am ready to install my brake lines and was thinking of replacing the plastic lines with high pressure hose and fittings was wondering what the negitves and positives were. I am installing duel brakes and want to replace both sides.

We did

Hi Dean,
A multiple RV builder friend of mine told me that he had bad luck with the cheapo plastic lines leaking but other guys have used them successfully for years.

For peace of mind, we used braided rubber hoses which we custom made (it's fairly easy) from both sets of brakes to the piece of angle aluminum on the pilot's side. From there we used aluminum tubing down to the wheels with the loop at the axle that Van recommends. We did use the plastic stuff from the reservoir to the passenger side and haven't had a leak.

Good luck,

Does anybody have a good length for the steel braided lines that run down the gear leg on a -7A?

make the plastic lines gone

brister said:
I am ready to install my brake lines and was thinking of replacing the plastic lines with high pressure hose and fittings was wondering what the negitves and positives were. I am installing duel brakes and want to replace both sides.

The plastic lines leaked at the low pressure side between the reservoir and the rite cylinders on my 9A. All others are hi pressure lines from Pegasus. One of the experts who's guiding us suggested / implored / demanded that the last two plastic lines were replaced too. Fuel lube seemed to stop the leak between the brass fitting and the brake cylinder rather than line sealant, but we decided to replace them anyway due to Gil Alexander's insistence. These guys are experts. Why reinvent the wheel?

We just finished a condition inspection on a Kitfox IV that has plastic brake lines. What a frustrating experience trying to get the leaks stopped! Ive been working on airplanes for 35 years. If the the airplane would have been mine, the plastic would have been out of there after the second time I replaced all the compression fittings and it still leaked. Aluminum tubing with AN Fittings, and Aeroquip Hose at the flex points is the way to go. I have better things to do than bleed the *#%&$ brakes before each flight.

I don't really understand the problems people are having with the plastic brake lines. My -6 has been flying for 14 years with plastic lines on the pilot and copilot side and I've had no problems.

With my plastic brake lines, I had brass inserts that were forced into the end of the tubes. These were intended to provide support to the tube and prevent it from collapsing when the nut was tightened on the ferrule. Are builders not using these and might this be the cause of leakage? I have had no leakage in my 7A in three years with dual brakes.

Roberta

The system that Van's designed for the brake system works just fine if installed properly. He used these parts to keep the costs and weight down. I have used this system in all of the planes that I have built with no leaks.

Works fine, but it'd never cut the mustard on a certified airplane, and thats my motivation for going with 'real' aircraft hoses.

We use the exact plastic lines on our sprint car for the brakes in the cokpit and also for the wing slider. The plastic on the wing slider catches heck from rocks ,mud and we never have any leak problems even after a crash and tearing the ram off the wing I am using it in my 7 with confidence.Not to flame anyone but it works if it is installed right IMHO.

Rubber & Telfon Hose

Medium pressure High temp hose, 124 stainless/teflon Stratoflex or
High pressure, 111 rubber hose both for hydraulics, pneumatics, coolant, fuel/oil. Both can have fire sleeve added (F)
Just call the wrench size, length (tip to tip) and fittings - straight to straight, straight to 90 or straight to 45 and they can be built, tagged, pressure tested and shipped. Aero Hose Shop 800-362-3044 ext 230.
1-2 day service and you don't have to buy the tools!!
Linda
:)

Plastic is transparent

The plastic brake lines let you see bubbles when you're bleeding the brakes. I just helped Dave Abrahamson bleed his brakes (first flight real soon) and he spent a lot of the time with his head under the panel looking for bubbles.

Other than that (and the obvious weight advantage), I don't know the reason for the plastic brake lines.

Fuel Lube the sealant of choice?

Brake fittings: Fuel lube (EZ Turn), teflon tape, teflon paste, other? What is best choice?

AFulmer said:
Brake fittings: Fuel lube (EZ Turn), teflon tape, teflon paste, other? What is best choice?

Assuming you mean the NTP threaded fittings in the calipers and master cylinders: NO teflon tape. I choose to use Bakerseal. On all other AN brake fittings, they go on dry without anything.

Back