What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EAA announcement-visit Oshkosh but no camping

Too bad

I get it but would have been kind of cool to old school it.

A few hundred planes, open the north 40 showers. Tents. Walk into town for restaurants, a few beers in the cooler by the plane and maybe a bbq or two. Just a dream Oh well, i understand its not possible, just sad. 2021 will be epic right??:rolleyes:

Here's what I keep thinking about: I figure, given the hundreds of thousands of annual attendees, it's almost a statistical certainty that at least one person is going to travel to OSH without having any idea the show is cancelled. And they're going to be soooooo confused.

:p

I think that if one guy shows up by flying in it will be the guy that didn't bring the notam and he's going to call up the tower and ask for instructions.

I think that if one guy shows up by flying in it will be the guy that didn't bring the notam and he's going to call up the tower and ask for instructions.

Which, ironically, will actually be pretty much the right thing to do in this case.

The only flaw I see in my supposition is how this person would know the right day to come. But I have enough confidence in the creativity of human beings to see this as a surmountable obstacle.

At Triple Tree, several years ago, we had a poor guy from China show up for the Joe Nall RC event exactly one week late. We took him to lunch.

Last edited:
Here's what I keep thinking about: I figure, given the hundreds of thousands of annual attendees, it's almost a statistical certainty that at least one person is going to travel to OSH without having any idea the show is cancelled. And they're going to be soooooo confused.

I imagine the local controllers have a pool going...date and time the first pilot asks "HEY, WHERE IS THE SHOW?"

Alternately, a guy rolls up to the entrance of Camp Scholler in his RV thinking "Wow. First one here... I'm gonna get a GREAT space!"

I think those folks planning to drop in to OSH should circle Green Lake a couple times, can't have the locals getting used to the silence!

I'm surprised that Appleton, Fond du Lac. Wautoma or one of the other close airports isn't sponsoring a little flyin for a few days. I can say with certainty that getting up to WI for a couple days of camping would be a godsend in July. I also know that there are more than a few local aviators here would do it for sure.

I'm surprised that Appleton, Fond du Lac. Wautoma or one of the other close airports isn't sponsoring a little flyin for a few days. I can say with certainty that getting up to WI for a couple days of camping would be a godsend in July. I also know that there are more than a few local aviators here would do it for sure.

AOPA just canceled their Rochester (NY) fly in scheduled for September. Too much uncertainty over Covid-19.

We’re going and meeting up with RV-8 owner Jay Honeck (he hosts the H.O.P.S. party in North 40 every year) and anyone else that wants to show up. We’re arriving July 20th and departing the 23rd and staying at the Hilton who’ve dropped their rates back to a non-AirVenture amount of ~$100 / night. We’re gonna get a car and do things we’ve never done like hit the Harley museum in Milwaukee and actually explore the town of Oshkosh. I really hope EAA reopens the EAA museum by then. Of course this assumes there’s not a 2nd lockdown.

This is only 1 leg of a 3 leg trip as we’re going to see friends in Iowa and Indiana on the way there and back.

Last edited:
Oshkosh

All the info I can find indicates that the Hilton ramp is still available. Taxiway N1 at the west end of 9/27 parallel taxiway. "People" gate to Hilton. Near the Hilton is a restaurant/bar where you can sit on the back deck and see the entire airport. Walking distance to multiple restaurants and stores.

Back