What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Plane Power

great idea

My day/night VFR airplane with an EMS but otherwise all old school, at most draws 9-10 amps. Maybe 12 with the landing lights on.

Not only would this alternator be a little bit lighter*, it sits farther aft on the Lycoming, so the C.G. would move back a little.

If my 60A alternator ever dies, this will be my next alternator.

* The Plane Power website lists it as 6 lbs, and the 60A alternator as 6 lb 15 oz so you would think it is only one pound, but that does not include the weight of the mounting bracket, so, lets call it 2 lbs. difference. The pad-driven alternator would also simplify forward baffle fitting and installation a little, again a rather small factor.

Last edited:
I use the B&C SD20 as a backup.
You need at least 1400 rpm for it to be useful.
I have a full IFR stack (430, 327, sl30)
I can run nav lights, boost pump, all avionics, and one landing light, and keep it under 20 amps. YMMV

I cannot say for sure. Mine is on a 7A. I don't think it sticks out much more than the oil filter. Here is a pic of my install:

FP27082010A0002O.jpg

Install easier?

Well, gee,

with a standard belt-driven alternator, you have to bolt on the mounting bracket, hang the alternator on it, thread the belt, install the belt tensioner, safety-wire the two bolt heads on the belt tensioner, and then, you have to notch the front engine baffle to carefully fit around the belt tensioner and the belt.

With the vacuum pad mount, you stick it in the hole, tighten four nuts, and you are done.

Well, gee,

with a standard belt-driven alternator, you have to bolt on the mounting bracket, hang the alternator on it, thread the belt, install the belt tensioner, safety-wire the two bolt heads on the belt tensioner, and then, you have to notch the front engine baffle to carefully fit around the belt tensioner and the belt.

With the vacuum pad mount, you stick it in the hole, tighten four nuts, and you are done.

The output is not an apples and apples comparison.

Well, gee,

Jeez, what was I thinking, it would take at least a few minutes longer :eek:

Last edited:
Now then guys, play nicely......:D

I agree, the install is easier, I recall that you have to sort the belt and things out before putting the prop on and if anything needs changing, it's prop off time.

The output is fine, we don't need a huge amount of electricity and if it gives a little less below 1200 rpm, I'm not going to lose sleep.

Spinning a car alternator the wrong way at twice the design speed has always concerned me on our 7.

Thanks for the install photo - looks neat.

I think I'm sold.

plane power alternator

I put a plane power alternator on my -7 this summer and have been enjoying it since. No issues. The battery handles all needs at below 1200.

They make certified aircraft alternators. Parts on mine were safetied from the factory. You don't see that on an automotive alternator.

Back