What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV8 sized Flight Bag?

claycookiemonster

Well Known Member
What Flight Bag are you guys using that can hold the necessary things: headset, iPad, checklists, snacks, etc, and yet be both stowed out of sight and accessible when solo?
I haven't turned a wheel since retiring from airlines in December of 2020, but plan to take lessons soon to remind me how to make the houses smaller and larger. I'm going to need a bag going forward, so I'm asking now.
Also, it seems as though an iPad with Foreflight (or equivalent) is pretty much standard these days. My employer used to provide them, now I am considering purchasing my own. Concur?

I bought a back pack from Ebags. I use that to haul my flying gear back and forth to the airport. It was cheaper than the back packs that are marketed as flying bags, and it suits my needs just fine. If I’m going somewhere, I strap it in the back seat. Also fits fine in the forward baggage, or behind the rear seat. I just make sure I have what I need before I depart.

I use my IPhone for local flights, and an iPad mini for x country flying. I use a MyGoFlight mount that has interchangeable attachments for both devices. Seems to work well in the cockpit of my -8.

I actually pretty much gave up on flight bags years ago.

In my own airplanes, the headset(s) live in the planes, all connected up. I have an iPad that has ALL my flight information (charts, etc), and that is easy to carry. The only other thing that goes from plane to plane with me (along with the iPad) is my kneeboard - I can’t fly without a kneeboard (mine is a small soft one). I fly a LOT of different airplanes other than those in my own “fleet”, and those are the only things that go with me.

Once you own your own plane, why pack things up to take home when they can just live in the plane?

At least that is how my flying evolved…

Paul

My T hangar is open at the top, making it easy to climb over the walls into any hangar you want. All you have to do is find that one guy who leaves a spare hangar key in an easy to find spot, and you have access to a dozen different hangars.

There's no way, realistically, to protect the really expensive stuff, like fixed avionics any more than by locking the hangar door. But, since headphones, iPads and handheld radios are so easy to carry off, I always take that stuff with me. I use my old Navy helmet bag. I also carry a bottle of water, a couple of spare batteries and sometimes an extra sweater or jacket and some hand-warmers.

On cross-country trips, I'll carry the bag with me, strapped down good. Its not really accessible in flight. But, I'm not a fan of having gear adrift on a airplane. If I really need it inflight, I'm wearing it or its in a pocket.

Vest with survival gear?

Well yeah, but I put that on when I walk in the hangar on the way to an airplane, so don’t even think about it…..

And more directly to the OP’s question, most folks I know have built side pockets into the fuselage one either side of the pilot. The “elbow rests” are too wide to be useful in flying, so enclosing them creates lots of storage space for little stuff and keeps the cockpit organized. When I am solo, the passenger footwells are were the iPad, water, and snacks can go.

Paul

Last edited:
I use my old flight helmet bag. You can cram a log of stuff in there. Two big outside pockets also.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220412-092109_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220412-092109_Gallery.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 156
Oh yes. I use two of them. They easily fit in forward baggage compartment. It's great, gave one to my wife as her size-wize baggage for 3-4 day trip

I got this Range Bag at Walmart for $43. Love it. Hold tools, oil, tie downs, etc. Fits very well in the aft storage area.

Attachments

• Range Bag.jpg
    Range Bag.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 73
Back