What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Anyone using GTR 200B for intercom?

sf3543

Well Known Member
I?m curious if anyone is using the intercom function available in the GTR 200/200B and how it compares to a stand alone intercom.
I?m redoing the panel in my RV8 and am installing the 200B and considering not wiring in a separate intercom, if it really works as good as advertised.
Any comments from you guys who have done this would be appreciated.
Thanks

We just replaced the SL 40 and Flightcom intercom in ours with a GTR 200B. Much, much better. The 3D audio features are really nice. I?m able to adjust the volume of the aux inputs (GPS and EFIS) from the radio. And I flew it without having to touch the squelch once, which I?m pretty sure was the first time that?s ever happened. Not to mention the ability to use BT for tunes in the air and phone calls on the ground.

2nd Comm

I have a SL-30 with the standard belly mount comm antenna (RV-7), if I added the 200B as a 2nd comm/intercom where would the second antenna typically be mounted?
Figs

200b

I have it installed as part of my big 2020 avionics upgrade. Heard nothing but great reports, so I bought one. Should be wired up and tested in next week.
With blue tooth phone calls, music in...sounds great.

Good luck.

I'm putting a full Garmin panel in with the GTR200B as the sole comm...no audio panel and the 200B will serve as the intercom. Stein say's there are enough inputs to handle the inputs from the GNX375 for the alerts.

I have a SL-30 with the standard belly mount comm antenna (RV-7), if I added the 200B as a 2nd comm/intercom where would the second antenna typically be mounted?
Figs

Figs.

Keep in mind the GTR 200B has a fantastic stereo intercom, but it is not a switching audio panel. It is basically like having a one great comm radio and a top end stand-alone intercom like a PSE PM 3000 built together into one. And like the PM3000 its intercom doesn't switch sources. That means if you are going to have more than one comm you pretty much need a separate audio panel and skip the GTR 200B's internal intercom.

Jim

We just replaced the SL 40 and Flightcom intercom in ours with a GTR 200B. Much, much better. The 3D audio features are really nice. I?m able to adjust the volume of the aux inputs (GPS and EFIS) from the radio. And I flew it without having to touch the squelch once, which I?m pretty sure was the first time that?s ever happened. Not to mention the ability to use BT for tunes in the air and phone calls on the ground.

Dale, I?m thinking about this. Did you have any issues with the small (0.075?) increase in height. My SL40 is squeezed pretty tight between the transponder and GPS map. Thanks, Bob

I was worried about that too. A couple of passes with a Swiss file was all it took to get it fitting well. It’s tight, but in an older 12 like ours there’s plenty of room to open it up as much as you need.

Drilling holes for the tray mounting screws was the biggest challenge. With the right tools, doing the wiring wasn’t bad. Most of the work was pulling wires from the intercom DB25 connector, replacing male pins with female, and inserting into the new connector. The only thing we haven’t been able to get working right is the audio output for a camera. Don’t know what’s going on with that, but we love the radio and intercom.

Back