What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to transport o-320

JKevin

Well Known Member
I am about to travel a few hundred miles to bring home an engine that has recently been removed from a flying airplane. Carb and other accessories still mounted to the engine.

Will be traveling about 250 miles with the engine in the back of a pickup truck.

What is the best way to transport?

-An engine cradle like the one described in Tony Bingelis' book (wt supported on cylinder heads);
-A vertical mount with the weight on the crankshaft flange?
-Something else

I can fabricate whatever is necessary, just wanted some input as to best practices.

Thanks in advance.

I used an old race car tire, after removing the carb and fuel pump. Rode fine in the back of my Tahoe from VA to Florida. I'll bet a tire ship could hook you up with something that would work fine.

Chris

I carried 2, O 320 engines in the back of my explorer and had them sitting on old airplane tires with Styrofoam and pillows to keep them from shifting around. The foam made for a very noisy 450 mile ride, but they did ok that way.

I would hesitate to mount them to anything too solid on the engine to keep the stress off. If I did it again, I would put a rope on them in case I had to stop fast so they didn't up in the front seat. In a pickup, you would be ok!

My engine guy used pallets.

Carb removed and base of engine simply sat on a 2 inch thick chunk of dense Styrofoam.

A rt. angle metal bracket at one end of the pallet attached with a bolt to the prop mounting flange. A strap over the whole works kept it stable.

I duplicated the system with a homemade pallet made narrower than standard so it would fit in the back of my SUV.

The shop said it was the first engine pallet they had seen made from walnut plywood...:)

Thanks!

The cradle and engine stand seemed like they would transmit too much force to the engine. The tire sounds like a great idea.

Next question:

Not having worked on aircraft engines much, what tools need to go with me in order to remove carb and fuel pump?

Engine

1/2" combination box/open end wrench for carb. If the air box is still mounted to the carb you can remove carb and airbox as assembly. No need to remove fuel pump. Removing starter and alternator makes it easier to manage.
Two inch high density foam, support for crank flange, two straps looped through engine hoist ring.

1/2" combination box/open end wrench for carb. If the air box is still mounted to the carb you can remove carb and airbox as assembly. No need to remove fuel pump. Removing starter and alternator makes it easier to manage.
Two inch high density foam, support for crank flange, two straps looped through engine hoist ring.

^^^ This is very good advice, as are the tires.

engine transport

Do you have an aircraft engine shop nearby? Engines are commonly shipped in especially built wooden crates with internal mount cradles for the engine. Most engine shops have several stacked out back for the job. I would guess that if you asked they would loan, give, or sell you cheep one of the crates. Best of luck, Russ

Engine Crate

Maybe, maybe not. Lycoming at one point was shipping on a wooden pallet with a cardboard box over the top. Some of the smaller engine shops do better. Not much need for any of this for a relatively short trip in a pickup truck.

Back