What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-8 Cover panel for fuel pump

Webb

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Any issues with putting a panel to cover the fuel pump?

It just seems logical to match the right side baggage hold wall and I don’t like the idea of potentially stepping on a fuel line.

I don't think I could accidentally step on fuel lines or fuel pump when stepping in/out or flying the RV-8.
Maybe remove your diving fins first :D

I did this, primarily for aesthetics, but also to run a scat tube from the cabin heat box back to an air vent that allows me to direct warm air towards the backseat. Don’t think I would do it again though because it’s a pain to take out every year during the condition inspection. The location of the rudder pedals prevents stepping on the pump or fuel lines.

J. Baker
RV8

The only issue I can think of is that any fuel leaks from the fuel pump or fuel lines near it would be less obvious.

I agree it would be very difficult to step on one of the fuel lines without doing some contortions

Last edited:
If the pump, assuming the AFP pump is installed properly, everything is out of the way and unless you have long legs and purposely put your foot over there, you wont have any issues.

Tom

It just seems logical to match the right side baggage hold wall ...
That's why I did it. I built it in two pieces and remove the piece running longitudinally (screws in nutplates) to service the fuel filter. But then, I'm no bubba and can work through the forward baggage door.

This is an early picture; since I took it I have relocated the Oil Cooler Door control knob to a bracket near the throttle quadrant.

Attachments

• Left Side Panel.JPG
    Left Side Panel.JPG
    904.9 KB · Views: 336
Seems like extra hassle and weight for no gain - I also like that it makes a lot of noise so there's no way I can forget that the pump is on.

I'm going for that "P-51 raw" look with my cockpit :D

P-51 cockpit.jpg

I did this, primarily for aesthetics, but also to run a scat tube from the cabin heat box back to an air vent that allows me to direct warm air towards the backseat. Don’t think I would do it again though because it’s a pain to take out every year during the condition inspection. The location of the rudder pedals prevents stepping on the pump or fuel lines.

J. Baker
RV8

Plus one. I did the same thing, for the same reasons. There is a lot more stuff in there than just the filter and boost pump. Nice to have it out of sight.

An 0.020" panel weighs next to nothing. And it certainly doesn't prevent you from hearing the boost pump.

For my next one, I may work on a design that is a little easier to remove.

As I am nearing the closing out of my fuselage, every time I had to get down into the rudder tunnel, I can't help swearing at myself. I am not getting more flexible with age. If there is one less screw to remove, one less fitting to mess with, then I am happy. The same thing toward the rear of the baggage compartment. There maybe more room in the RV7 or RV14 but the RV8 is downright claustrophobic in the back.

An option for easy access to the fuel pump/filter for servicing, especially if you enclose those parts on the inside. An access panel on the outside is visible in the attached picture if you zoom in a little, right below the NACA vent:

61974758-14A4-4F55-95CA-2A656306D230.jpg

I made the opening using a fly-cutter and a homemade jig turning at a very slow speed to cut two large holes, and then just connected the two holes.

It just seems logical to match the right side baggage hold wall and I don’t like the idea of potentially stepping on a fuel line.

I've seen that done on some planes, but it would be hard to visually see any problems as some have noted. In reality, it would be pretty hard to "step on a fuel line" to the left of the peddles. It would take some very deliberate yoga moves.

I installed a high pressure pump when converting from a carb engine to FI, and I was surprised how easy it was to get the the pump area with the baggage floor removed.

An option for easy access to the fuel pump/filter for servicing, especially if you enclose those parts on the inside. An access panel on the outside is visible in the attached picture if you zoom in a little, right below the NACA vent:

View attachment 33154

I made the opening using a fly-cutter and a homemade jig turning at a very slow speed to cut two large holes, and then just connected the two holes.

I really like that idea.

Might be a good idea to check with "mom" before cutting holes in stressed skin to be sure it's properly reinforced.

By FAR, the best "improvement" I've made to my 8.
Something about sitting on a stool and routing your throttle cable and attending to the boost pump vs diving under the panel is, I don't know, better? :D
Talked to Van a couple years ago at OSH about it and suggested they make it standard in the kits. He didn't veto the idea.
One of Van's employees is incorporating it into his project, so I think it is tacitly approved. (in between some of the bracing angles, so I don't think that piece of skin is carrying much)
But of course, your plane, your decision.

Attachments

• IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    248.6 KB · Views: 193
Years ago I saw a friends Piper Tomahawk that had a similar access, but with the NACA vent in the access cover. It made for easy access to the area behind the panel and brakes.

By FAR, the best "improvement" I've made to my 8.
Something about sitting on a stool and routing your throttle cable and attending to the boost pump vs diving under the panel is, I don't know, better? :D
Talked to Van a couple years ago at OSH about it and suggested they make it standard in the kits. He didn't veto the idea.
One of Van's employees is incorporating it into his project, so I think it is tacitly approved. (in between some of the bracing angles, so I don't think that piece of skin is carrying much)
But of course, your plane, your decision.

Mike, how are you planning to waterproof/airproof this exterior inspection panel?
Just curious. I had a Socata before and the weatherproofing of the 2 front external panels were quite elaborate.
Thanks.
Johan

We’ll, I’m kind of in the “if it can leak, it will. Just leave a place for the water to get out.” camp.
Hangared 99% of the time, so not super concerned.
In flight, that big ‘ol NACA just above it is aimed at my face.
I may put a thin strip of foam weatherstripping around the flange if I see issues.

Back