What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airpark in Missouri.

PrescottB787

Has anyone heard of Discovery Bay at Norwalk Landing(MO06)? Beautiful piece of land but not much bought there. It?s been around for 12 years and I was wondering if anyone has any info on this place?

Thanks
Ken

I frequent the vicinity and possibly be there next week, I?ll see if I can sniff out any local rumors.

I looked into it a bit last year but never got further than just looking at their website. Lots looked way to small for what I wanted. Could get several lots to get horizontal space but no lots were very deep. The roads, lake and runway really limit available lot size. YMMV

My wife and I talked to them at OSH. Most all of the info we learned is on the website.

The website does not emphasize that there are lakefront lots and runway lots, but no combined lots. The couple manning their booth bought one of each so they could have lakefront and a hangar. There are a couple of community docks.

Also, they said they have a place to stay in the community if you want to visit. Use the contact info on the website.

Ken,

I have a place about a mile from there and fly over it every week or two. PM me and I'll try to answer any questions. I have never done a low approach there but the North end of the runway runs into the hills. Not sure how tight that would be trying to drop in there with predominately South winds in the summer.

Andy

I called Ralph from the website and received permission, unfortunately he didn't hear me come in and with time and walking constraints I didn't get the full tour.
Flying in from the south.

IMG_0514-L.jpg

IMG_0516-L.jpg

As Andy said it is a one-way strip that runs into a hill, the approach is wide open over the lake with no obstacles. Pic on the north side showing the turn around at the north side of the runway.

IMG_0521-L.jpg

The runway does a have a relatively constant slope downhill towards the water.

IMG_0519-L.jpg

Very pretty area, newer construction and nice houses and hangars. It's not my preferred section of the lake for skiing, although the "Big Bay" cove just to the west of the airstrip provides great water for skiing. It is very close to the Mark Twain national forest for hiking/hunting. Runway was very coarse on the pavement, if normal runways are like 180 grit sandpaper this runway is 60 grit. Lots of Airstrips in the area, make a day of it and check them out!

Last edited:
You'll love the area

I live in the area. I fly my RV-7 out of a private 2,200' strip 2 miles east of Turkey Mtn (MO00). We retired here from Tucson 4 yrs ago and love it. Its a great flying area. If you have any questions or want to talk about the area, you can PM me as well.

Back