What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flo scan mounting for a carb engine

JCN247DE

Well Known Member
For those using a GRT engine Monitor and a carb engine - Where are you mounting the flo scan unit for fuel flow? Does it have to be before the fuel pump or after? I have seen some sites where it is mounted after the pump and with the fuel pump on the firewall, the options are few and far between here. Andy Karmy (RV-9A) has a slick set-up but my electrical runs will not allow his config on my plane.

Has anyone moved their low pressure pump back towards the fuel selector and mounted the flo scan after it on the floor like some of our fuel injected brethren? I believe the -6's have their fuel pumps back farther from the firewall as well.

Opinions?

Jeff

Cheers;
I mounted the Flow Scan transducer next to the gascolator (engine side)
and it works Great. Everyone said it had to mounted between the eng. driven
pump and the carb. :mad: I didn't have any really good place to do that. :confused: This way,
I can use a straight piece of Alum or brass pipe 3" to 5" between the transducer and the gascolator and then fix that far end to the firewall, using new aeroquip hose with a small loop into the eng. driven fuel pump all
wrapped in fire sleeve....All I can say is, it works great... :) RV6 and a
Lyc 0-360
Don

Last edited:
Flo scan for GRT system

Hi there,

I have my flo scan mounted on the left side of the cabin immediately behind the F-602. Wiring is easy as it comes down the F-602 from behind the subpanel.

My fuel system is a little different as I wanted to avoid having the Fuel Filter in the cabin due to maintenance reasons. Fuel from the tanks go thru a gascolator mounted in each wing root, then to the selector, to the Performance Airflow HP Pump, then to the flo scan, to the firewall and finally thru the filter to the Servo.

My HP Pump is mounted on the forward side of the wing spar, not on the floor as seen in the RV-7. This keeps it well out of the way and I have a flat open floor. If you want photos let me know.

Regards,

Mike
RV-6
IO-360

Remainder to do.

flo scan

I mounted my floscan sensor right on my gascolator, its on a 6A but my gascolator is the same as a 7 and in the same place. Its mounted with a pipe thread nipple screwed into the gascolator outlet and then the transducer is screwed onto the nipple. it's supported by a piece of angle bolted to the transducer and the firewall. On the other side of the transducer is a 6d flared nipple that connects with flex hose to the fuel pump. That was the best I could do for a straight run. It works great. I wind up using a -18.0 percent K factor. On 25 gallon fills I'm never more than .5 gals off. Incidently I'm using the Flight Data Systems AFP-35 and it works great , great support also. Hope this helps
Jon

JCN247DE said:
For those using a GRT engine Monitor and a carb engine - Where are you mounting the flo scan unit for fuel flow? Does it have to be before the fuel pump or after? I have seen some sites where it is mounted after the pump and with the fuel pump on the firewall, the options are few and far between here. Andy Karmy (RV-9A) has a slick set-up but my electrical runs will not allow his config on my plane.

Has anyone moved their low pressure pump back towards the fuel selector and mounted the flo scan after it on the floor like some of our fuel injected brethren? I believe the -6's have their fuel pumps back farther from the firewall as well.

Opinions?

Jeff
I am building a "6.5"A (borrowing a lot of ideas and stuff from the 7 Series).

Gascolators in each wing root.
Fuel pump after the selector on firewall (I think like the 7)
~5" run of tubing from pump at 45 degree angle, FloScan, ~ 2" of tubing then a 90 degree turn to go through firewall via bulkhead fitting.

I got the "minimum lenghts before and after the Floscan from Greg at GRT.

I am not flying yet but am hoping all will work OK.

James

FloScan Location

Jeff,

I located my GRT FloScan transducer on the lower left firewall on my -7A. You can see a photo here: www.jacklockamy.com/rv-7a.html

Plumbing was engine mech fuel pump > floscan > carb

First flight soon to see if I got it right. Lots of others have the same setup so I am fairly certain it should work fine.

Jack Lockamy
Camarillo, CA
-7A baffles
N174JL reserved

Floscan Location

Hello,

I am ready to mount my flowscan and want to get some more ideas and pictures of where and how people have mounted the flow senor.

I have an O-320 with a carb with facet pump and gascolator in the standard RV-9A locations.

My transducer is mounted on the floor just forward of the wing spar. Between the selector valve and boost pump. Been working great for over 12.5 years.
Mel...DAR

Pump Location

Another option to Mel's location is to mount the pump vertically (fuel flow in a down direction) and use a straight AN-style coupling to directly connect to the fuel selector valve.

This coupling doesn't have an AN number, but is obtained from the race car plumbing folks.

A picture is here...

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ProductSelection.asp?Product=3238

This was done on quite a few early RV-6s, and no-one had problems running the fuel pump in that orientation. It does get the fuel pump "out of the way" compared to the original RV-6 location on the sidewall of the cockpit.

gil in Tucson

Floscan location

Mel said:
My transducer is mounted on the floor just forward of the wing spar. Between the selector valve and boost pump. Been working great for over 12.5 years.
Mel...DAR

I've mounted mine there as well. I had to fabricate a blister because it was just a bit too large to fit under the cover.

Vern Little -9A

120_2082_1.jpg

120_2083_1.jpg

Last edited:
Jon - more info on the AFP 35

Hi Jon,

Are you using the AFP 35 in conjuction with an engine monitor? It looks like a nice tool to have in the cockpit.

Pete
Yes, I used a Grand Rapids EIS. Both units worked extremely well. The AFP-35 outputs fuel flow to a gps, something I wish the GRT EIS would do. I can't say enough good things about both pieces of equiptment. If you want 4 cyl. monitoring of CHT and EGT the GRT EIS is more cost effective than buying Van's gauges and way less expensive than any other unit!!! If you can get by without pretty color graphics save yourself a couple grand and put that money towards a Tru-track autopilot. Most of the features of the AFP35 were duplicated elsewhere in my panel, except for FFlow and % power. I plan to use the EIS again in my RV8 and if I was going to put in a GPS that would input Fuel Flow I'd get another AFP35.

Jon

Floscan Location

In my -9A I have the GRT EIS and EFIS with the fuel flow option. I installed the floscan transducer forward of the firewall just above the gascolator and used a loop of aluminum tubing to attach the output of the gascolator to the input of the floscan sensor. I then used the flexible fuel tubing that comes with the firewall forward kit to attach to the floscan unit instead of the gascolator.

fuelflow.jpg

Details can be seen at http://www.my9a.com/fw1.asp#081305

Regards,
Mike Schipper
www.my9a.com

Back