What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canadian prop maintenance requirements

jimgreen

Well Known Member
I could use some help navigating Canadian regs for uncertified props in our aircraft. I have a 200Rv which is coming up to 10 yr but low time. It's always been hangared. Now is a good time to get it resealed but what are the rules?

The Old Wives Tail version is - every 10 years or as recommended by the manufacturer or AME. You could call your local TC Maintenance Inspector to get his interpretation...

Take a look at Mike Busch’s latest webinar on prop overhaul (on EAAs webinar archives) - very interesting.

Last edited:
While I am a fan of Mike, I would not expect him to know the Canadian regs. The OP is asking for advice on how to interpret the rules, not recommendations for best practices. I don’t think we can assume that there is an intersection between regulations and common sense 😜

According to this, fixed pitch for all - inspection every 5 years (not necessarily overhaul)
Constant speed - excepting amateur built, MFG recommendations or 10 years. I searched the CARs but couldn't find a listing for what's actually required for amateur builts...

clipped from CARs 625 App C

5. Variable Pitch Propellers
(amended 2007/12/30)

Except for aircraft that are operated under a special certificate of airworthiness in the owner-maintenance or amateur-built classification, all variable pitch propellers shall be overhauled at the following intervals:
(amended 2007/12/30; no previous version)

(a) Where the manufacturer has made recommendations regarding the air time between overhauls, overhaul at the interval recommended or every ten years, whichever comes first;
(amended 2000/12/01)

(b) Where the manufacturer has not made any recommendations regarding the air time between overhauls, overhaul at the following intervals:
(amended 2000/12/01)

(i) in the case of propellers installed on turbine engines: 2,000 hours air time or ten years, whichever comes first;
(amended 2000/12/01)

(ii) in the case of double acting propellers installed on piston engines: 2,000 hours air time or ten years, whichever comes first, or;
(amended 2000/12/01)

(iii) in the case of single acting propellers installed on piston engines: 1,500 hours air time or ten years, whichever comes first.
(amended 2000/12/01)

Information note:

The ten year overhaul intervals mentioned in (a) and (b), start either from its initial date of installation following manufacture, from its last five year corrosion inspection or its last overhaul, whichever occurred last.
(amended 2000/12/01)

6. Fixed Pitch and Ground Adjustable Propellers

(a) Fixed pitch wooden propellers shall be checked for tightness after the first 25 hours of air time following their installation and at each subsequent inspection.
(amended 2007/12/30; no previous version)

(b) At intervals of not more than 5 years, the propeller shall be removed from the aircraft and inspected for corrosion or other defects over its entire surface, including the hub faces and the mounting hole bores. While the propeller is removed, it shall also be checked for correct dimensions. However, if defects which require repairs beyond those recommended as field repairs by the propeller manufacturer are found, the propeller shall be repaired by an organization approved for the overhaul of propellers.
(amended 2007/12/30)

Information note:
(amended 1998/09/01; no previous version)

The dimensional check requirement does not include a check on blade twist. The dimensional check refers to changes in blade dimension resulting from repairs, particularly cropping of the tips. It is intended to ensure that the blade diameter remains within service limits.

Thanks for that. Too bad they make it all so hard to understand.
Seems it's simpler with a composite prop, not much to be done with the blades unless there is visible damage. I'm talking to Western Propeller in Richmond about a hub inspection for corrosion etc. More for my peace of mind than the Feds.
Very interesting webinar with Mike Busch, it gives me a lot more confidence in c/s props.

"Except for aircraft that are operated under a special certificate of airworthiness in the owner-maintenance or amateur-built classification, all variable pitch propellers shall be overhauled at the following intervals:
(amended 2007/12/30; no previous version)"

Says it right here! No overhaul rules for amateur-built aircraft.

That's what I go by,

Ralph
C-FGWW

"Except for aircraft that are operated under a special certificate of airworthiness in the owner-maintenance or amateur-built classification, all variable pitch propellers shall be overhauled at the following intervals:
(amended 2007/12/30; no previous version)"

Says it right here! No overhaul rules for amateur-built aircraft.

That's what I go by,

Ralph
C-FGWW

OK, we have the rule, as interpreted above, which initially seems of benefit to those of us operating in the amateur-built category.

Then we have the reality...

If one ever has the opportunity to visit a prop shop it's a terrific place to get an education. And perhaps a good case of the heebie-jeebies!

Most variable pitch props operating in the Canadian climate end up with some pretty scary internal corrosion. The 10-year limit is Transport Canada's way of telling the certified world there's something going on inside props that merits them having a good look-see every few years. If TC could write the regulation to say "if the aircraft is hangared all the time the inspection interval moves to 15 years" then the regulation would likely be a closer representation of reality.

Props on aircraft which sit outside corrode. Props on floatplanes corrode. Props on airplanes that fly through rain a lot corrode. Props on airplanes that sit for extended periods corrode.

With this in mind, it would seem wise to consider how we use and care for our props and then to develop an inspection cycle based on that use cycle. "Overhaul" is a word which has specific meaning to a prop shop. We can tell our prop shop to perform an IRAN and specifically direct them NOT to overhaul the prop - at a frequency that suits our use case - and end up saving a bunch of money while also having peace of mind regarding the serviceability of our prop.

Please note that the CARs extract I posted earlier is all I could find in my web search, there probably is a listing somewhere in some other obscure part of the CARs for this... that extract doesn't mean you don't have to do overhauls!
Best to contact your local TC Maintenance inspector for an interpretation (as stated in a prior post)

Back