What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help ordering new type cowlings

spirit49

I decided to order the new type cowlings instead of trying to "modify" the uninstalled gelcoat cowlings I have.
IMG-7460.jpg

The list I got from Vans has more options than I can figure out.

RV-Cowling.png

I have a O320E2A that will have the EFII32 installed with a C/S Prop.

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Espen

Last edited:
I'd be tempted to work with the cowl you have rather than drop over $1000. on a new one that is most likely going to require quite a bit of tinkering with to make work itself. It's a 4, no two are going to be the same, nothing is going to be a bolt on option. I used the old gel coated cowl on my 4 and it works fine. Fiberglass is amazing modifiable. Find someone who knows a bit how to work with it if you're not familiar (maybe an old Long Eze builder)
If it totally won't work at least you've learned a lot before hacking on a new one.

Good luck
Skip
NC

Skip,

I have been thinking the same.

Might as well use that money on something more useful.

Reading up a bit more on the Gelcoat issue, I believe I can use a couple of days of sanding to avoid the cracking issue.

Thanks

I sanded the gelcoat off, but getting this to fit has been a real bear. Weeks and weeks of frustration. I guess the cowl sat fir years and became twisted. If you have more money than time buy the new one.

Also, these are vinylester, so if you need to graft in some areas with glass cloth and epoxy, you really have to rough up the surface deeply, like 40 grit, to the the waxy layer off, and clean with acetone or mek, or it won’t bond properly and it will crack later on.

Back