What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Making a Claim: When You Have to Use Your Aviation Insurance

jestes

What happens when the unthinkable occurs and you have to use your aviation insurance? Perhaps you?ve skidded off the runway or had a prop strike. While we hope you never have to make a claim, a little knowledge goes a long way toward making the process easier. While this site is aimed at Vans aircraft, the same concerns and challenges apply to anyone who has to file a claim. We hope you find this discussion helpful as we walk readers through the claims process in the March/April 2014 issue of Cirrus Pilot, click here to read it:
http://lightaircraft.nationair.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Cirrus-Pilot-March-April-2014.pdf

The story reviews the claims process start to finish and discusses some common bumps that aircraft owners can encounter.

Fly safe ? and be prepared.

Thanks Jenny. I just read this via the email link I recieved. Good article.

I'll be sending in that renewal paperwork soon!

Great info....starts the thought process!

Jenny, obviously you are 'one of us' from your bio....and in that light, you may be able to answer a few questions better than most.
I know little about insurance, except that I'm never happy when making a claim with our draconian pseudo government insurance provider ( ICBC).

I spoke a few years ago to my aviation broker, and asked him straight out...." what kind of claim am I most likely to have?" and perhaps I added, "why are the rates so steep, if I only fly on sunny sundays!?
Now this may vary geographically, demographically etc... but his response was something like, if I have a retractable undercarriage, I'm gonna land gear-up, or have a prop-strike or broken glass if I fly back country, and a few others I can't recall.
Q1......Your comments?

Q2....if I bend my plane a little, say hit a taxi light, requiring a wing inspection and re-skin, what is the smart way to do this? Even if I'm a builder, is it better to have a trusted shop do it? If I fix it, am I cheating myself from some value?

Q3....after an incident, the guide says to ensure no-one is injured. It's pretty common that aches, pains, and even concussion don't reveal themselves until later. How do you ensure your passenger stays on the radar, and isn't left out in the cold should issues arise? It seems insurers are very sensitive to fraudulent claims, and make it h*ll for people to legitimately get the attention they deserve.
thanks for much for participating in this forum!

Claims process

Thanks for taking time to read the article See my responses below

(Quote) (I spoke a few years ago to my aviation broker, and asked him straight out...." what kind of claim am I most likely to have?" and perhaps I added, "why are the rates so steep, if I only fly on sunny sundays!?
Now this may vary geographically, demographically etc... but his response was something like, if I have a retractable undercarriage, I'm gonna land gear-up, or have a prop-strike or broken glass if I fly back country, and a few others I can't recall. Q1......Your comments? )
It's true that some aircraft of course have worse loss history then others and that will give all that aircraft type a high rate regardless of the pilot. So you could fly a Cessna 210 and be the best pilot and only fly on sunny days but due to loss history your rate will still be higher than a Cessna 182 RG. Underwriters will rate retractable gear higher due to the possibility of gear up landings but they will also require higher time pilots to even qualify for the insurance as well. You will not get surcharged to fly your RV on grass strips but they may surcharge certain aircraft that are known to do back county flying like cubs, or sportsman type aircraft.

(Quote - Q2....if I bend my plane a little, say hit a taxi light, requiring a wing inspection and re-skin, what is the smart way to do this? Even if I'm a builder, is it better to have a trusted shop do it? If I fix it, am I cheating myself from some value? ) You will work closely with the adjuster to decide who would repair the aircraft but as the builder if you are comfortable doing the repair then by all means do it. The insurance company will pay you a similar amount that they would pay a repair shop. They will look at the going rate that local shops are charging and base the amount paid to you this way.

(Quote - Q3....after an incident, the guide says to ensure no-one is injured. It's pretty common that aches, pains, and even concussion don't reveal themselves until later. How do you ensure your passenger stays on the radar, and isn't left out in the cold should issues arise? It seems insurers are very sensitive to fraudulent claims, and make it h*ll for people to legitimately get the attention they deserve.)
Just make sure the passenger notifies you right away if they have any medical bills arise and turn them into the insurance company right away as well. They will be good on paying them. They will do everything they can to make sure the claim process is smooth and painless for you. Claims service is a big selling point when comparing aviation polices they will not want to tarnish their good service.

Please feel free to email me at [email protected] if you have any other questions.

Jenny Estes

Jenny,

Great article. Thanks for posting it.

Just yesterday I viewed an EAA webinar about insurance by Bob McCay. In it he mentioned that the practice of underwriters only quoting to the first agent is no longer the case. Given this, does it make sense to shop around agents? Or what should I ask my agent to feel comfortable that they are doing a good job for me?

I fly a Europa. When I first looked for insurance ten years ago, most agents told me I couldn't be insured. One agent said no problem and I have stayed with them since. Now over 500 accident free hours.

Thanks.

Jim Butcher

Jenny,

Great article. Thanks for posting it.

Just yesterday I viewed an EAA webinar about insurance by Bob McCay. In it he mentioned that the practice of underwriters only quoting to the first agent is no longer the case. Given this, does it make sense to shop around agents? Or what should I ask my agent to feel comfortable that they are doing a good job for me?

I fly a Europa. When I first looked for insurance ten years ago, most agents told me I couldn't be insured. One agent said no problem and I have stayed with them since. Now over 500 accident free hours.

Thanks.

Jim Butcher

Hi Jim,

Yes most underwriters no longer block the market and will quote several brokers, however they will give the same quote to each broker. There are still a handful of underwriters that do block the market. These markets are the transitional carriers that will write lower time pilots or more uncommon aircraft. So you really want to find a broker you are happy with and stick with them. I would just ask your broker what other markets they are going to each year to make sure that they are checking all the carriers that will quote your aircraft type each year. You want to be sure you are working with a broker that specializes in aviation and who has access to all the insurance companies. Just make sure you are getting great customer service and the quality coverage you need. You also want to make sure your broker knows the policies they are selling you. If you have any other questions please feel free to ask.

Have a great day!

Back