What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Need advise on shipping

Lufthans

Well Known Member
Hi guys,

I've bought a nice MT propeller for my RV3.

It is in Spanish Fork, UT, and needs to be shipped to either Paramount, CA, or Richmond, CA, where my shipper will stuff it in a container to be transported to me in Europe.

The international part is therefore covered, however I have a bit of an issue with the domestic part of the journey. The package is too large for UPS to take on, and Fedex wants $2200 for it. Surely there will be more affordable ways to get a box from Utah to California?

Any tips would be very helpful.

Thank you!!

Hans

P.S. Box is in a 3 bladed prop- shape. 65x65 inch, 20 inch tall. Weight will be around 75 lbs (yet to be confirmed by the seller).

Not being from the US, I don't know any freight companies. I'll try Old Dominion. Thanks!

advise on shipping

I used what information you had, zip codes for where is-where going.

I got a quote for $240.

You have to look under LTL, Less Than Load, less than a full trailer

Who ever has possession of the prop now can't get that arranged for you?

Thanks

Keith
RV7
2022 donation

Hello Hans,

I have good experience with Freight Center:
Shanon Donahue [email protected]
They can provide door to door service. They shipped my Sam James package to The Netherlands.
Cheers Joop

For that price, fly to Salt Lake City, buy a ski bag and pack the prop into the bag and fly home with it as luggage. You get a trip, maybe a couple runs on the slopes and your prop si with you the whole time. I would never suggest it, but maybe save some import costs?

For that price, fly to Salt Lake City, buy a ski bag and pack the prop into the bag and fly home with it as luggage. You get a trip, maybe a couple runs on the slopes and your prop si with you the whole time. I would never suggest it, but maybe save some import costs?

Uhhh…three bladed prop is going to be hard to fit in a ski bag! ;)

But I like the concept. When my little jet engine had to go back to the Czech Republic, the shipping price (paid for by PBS) was eye-watering on FedEx. I figured that if I ever have to ship it on my dime, I am buying a First Class ticket on Lufthansa, checking the 42 pound engine as luggage, and enjoying Prague!

Paul

I used what information you had, zip codes for where is-where going.

I got a quote for $240.

You have to look under LTL, Less Than Load, less than a full trailer

Who ever has possession of the prop now can't get that arranged for you?

Thanks

Keith
RV7
2022 donation

That's a lot better! Where did you get that quote? Thanks!

Hello Hans,

I have good experience with Freight Center:
Shanon Donahue [email protected]
They can provide door to door service. They shipped my Sam James package to The Netherlands.
Cheers Joop

Thanks Joop.

I'm using the company that we've been shipping cars with to get it from California to my doorstep. Price is around €600 for that, which is pretty good if you ask me. I'll check freightcenter for the US part. Thanks!

Or at least drive the thing from Utah to California myself for that matter... ;-)

Back