What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Steinair Wiring Master Kit question

Well Known Member
I'm getting to the point where it makes sense to start running some wiring...

Can anyone let me know their thoughts about the suitability of Stein's master wiring kit for an RV-10? Some info:

1. Probably going to do a VP-X
2. Using ZipTips for external lighting
3. Likely to use a dual alternator single battery system with single or multiple backup batteries for critical equipment (electronic ignition, glass panel, etc.)

Are there any things I should add or subtract from the kit, based on your experiences?

Can anyone let me know their thoughts about the suitability of Stein's master wiring kit for an RV-10? Some info:

1. Probably going to do a VP-X
2. Using ZipTips for external lighting
3. Likely to use a dual alternator single battery system with single or multiple backup batteries for critical equipment (electronic ignition, glass panel, etc.)

Are there any things I should add or subtract from the kit, based on your experiences?

I suppose Stein's could answer this question.

SNIP….

Recommend you consider two ship batteries. That provides option to eliminate the plethora of backup batteries, provides for increase reserve electrical capacity (the typical new backup battery 45 minutes does not meet my risk tolerance), and provides redundancy to support full IFR flight after any realistic single fault. I’m sure Stein can go over options.

Note - two PC-625 batteries meet this bill, and fit nicely in the standard RV-10 battery holder after minor modifications.

Carl

Stein did my panel and wiring harness. I also have the VPX. I have nothing but good to say about my experience with both VPX and Stein. I think sent my VPX to Stein so they could set things up for me.

The only thing I would change is to ask for a few more inches of length in the wires from the VPX and remote transponder to make it easier to mount them. I didnt have too much trouble but I did have to adjust the rails under my panel to make sure things fit. That may not be an issue with the 10 but it was tight in the 9.

You are not that far from me if you ever want to come over and look at my install. Stein is still answering questions and helping me when needed and I bought my panel 6 years ago! Save with Chad at VPX.

Recommend you consider two ship batteries. That provides option to eliminate the plethora of backup batteries, provides for increase reserve electrical capacity (the typical new backup battery 45 minutes does not meet my risk tolerance), and provides redundancy to support full IFR flight after any realistic single fault. I’m sure Stein can go over options.

Note - two PC-625 batteries meet this bill, and fit nicely in the standard RV-10 battery holder after minor modifications.

Carl

Thanks, Carl, I appreciate this. I think you're probably right; the idea of a good backup battery bus rather than the complexity and weight of multiple batteries is probably the better way to go--individual units that have factory backups will have them, but a backup battery is probably a good idea.

Thanks, Carl, I appreciate this. I think you're probably right; the idea of a good backup battery bus rather than the complexity and weight of multiple batteries is probably the better way to go--individual units that have factory backups will have them, but a backup battery is probably a good idea.

Note - I never used the phrase “backup battery” or “backup battery buss”. Adding a second ship’s battery just as a backup leaves out most of the advantages of a two battery system design.

PM me your email if you want details,
Carl

Note - I never used the phrase “backup battery” or “backup battery buss”. Adding a second ship’s battery just as a backup leaves out most of the advantages of a two battery system design.

PM me your email if you want details,
Carl

Carl,

A friend of mine has an RV-10 with a dual battery system--one is labeled "auxiliary" and can be held in reserve or tied to the main bus simultaneously with the main battery. I believe it is tied to the charging circuit through a diode so it can be kept charged, but can only feed the main bus when it's tied in manually. Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?

Carl,

A friend of mine has an RV-10 with a dual battery system--one is labeled "auxiliary" and can be held in reserve or tied to the main bus simultaneously with the main battery. I believe it is tied to the charging circuit through a diode so it can be kept charged, but can only feed the main bus when it's tied in manually. Is this the kind of thing you're talking about?

Without details I suspect holding a battery in reserve is the same as a backup battery.

For an IFR install consider:
- Two identical batteries (I use PC-625 as they are a little lighter and have more AH and CCA than PC-680). I replace one every three years so that neither is more than six years old. This provides some confidence on maintaining my reserve capacity design objectives.
- For IFR most people have two EFIS, two Nav GPS systems and two Comms. Divide these into Left and Right avionics. For single loads like XPDR, AutoPilot servos and such, pick a side.
- Power the left from the left battery, the right from the right battery. Battery connections is between the battery and that batteries master solenoid. I use 30amp 12vdc relays for this (they draw 100ma when on),
- Now add two more relays so that the left avionics and be powered from th right battery as a backup mode - the same for the other side.
- For normal operations, both master solenoids are shut connecting the batteries (in parallel) to the alternator and for engine start. On this same buss are the non-IFR loads (lights, pitot heat, etc.). For any electrical fault both masters go open as the immediate action (mitigates a fat wire fault). This leaves the panel in the most reliable state.

This provides over an hour (one battery on line) and over two hours (two batteries on line) of continued IFR flight. For the very simplistic loss of alternator risk, adding the nice B&C 20 amp standby alternator provides for the “get gas and continue home” option. I caution that while the loss of an alternator is the most probable electrical risk we have, it has the least impact on safety of flight (assumes the rest of the electrical system has at lease some reserve capacity).

For those with electrical power dependent engines, adding one of those tiny backup batteries to keep the engine going would not be my choice. Here there is option to run half of the engine in each battery (e.g. Left Ignition on the left battery, etc.). These two engine busses would be connected directly to the associated battery, breaker then on/off switch. Not on the output side of any solenoid.

Note - incorporating a VPX or such would not be practical.

This design is on five RVs, soon to be six. The first flying for 20+ years.

Carl

Back