What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Egress

JBarsness

Patron
I know this is a topic many of us don't like to think of as we spend insane amounts of time and money building an airplane like the RV-10... But have you given thought to egressing this thing with its gull doors following a rough off-airport landing where you are relatively unharmed physically but end up inverted?

As we know, any off airport landing is rare. But of those that happen on to rough or soft terrain, coming to rest inverted is statistically significant enough that I ask the question when I think of the doors we have on this thing. How do you get out of an RV-10 when it is on it's back and the doors unlatch but can't be moved nearly enough to get out?

Previous GA aircraft I've flown all have forward hinged doors or side window emergency latches that allow egress if the main door cannot be opened. On the RV-10, will the adhesives used for the windows allow for them to be pushed out? Is there a mod for the hinge pins that allow them to be removed in a situation like that?

I'm sure I'm not the only guy that thinks of the "what if" and I'm curious what ideas others have come up with.

Jeremy

I do not consider the doors on the 10 to be very strong. I have good confidence that if I can get the door un-lathced, a few solid kicks will allow it to snap apart at the hinges. There is a lot of leverage and the door seems pretty weak in the hinge area. Obviously pure speculation and no test data.

Larry

Last edited:
Agree, I’m pretty sure I could kick the door open if I was upside down. I would at least kick the window out.

This is not super quick (e.g, fire escape), and I have not actually tried it, but:
I can, if un-injured, make my way into the baggage area; and (this is unproven) I am reasonably confident that, laying on my back, one quick stomp will bend and open the baggage door. Otherwise, I carry screwdrivers in the back, and the baggage door latch arm can be removed with one screw, allowing egress.

Chances are an inverted -10 will be canted to one side. The door on the side with the high wing should be able to be opened fully enough to escape.

There are a lot of pictures of RVs on Kathrynsreport. From my very informal analysis, most non-fatals that end up there are flipped.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com

I assume that if I have a successful off-field landing, I'll be upside down, and will need to find a way out. Seems the weakest link for most of our aircraft will be the plexiglas. I think it's wise to have a tool to help you get out via the plexi. I've bought about 10 tools over the years, no idea which will work, but I currently have an "escape tool swiss army knife" from Victorinox.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PX0LKG/

https://www.victorinox.com/ch/en/Pr.../Large-Pocket-Knives/Rescue-Tool/p/0.8623.MWN

It's strapped to the harness where either I or the passenger can get to it if we are upside down. I hope I never need to use it.

I agree with Larry - the RV10 doors are not very strong. Pretty flimsy in my opinion. Aside from kicking the window out, I too feel like you could probably kick the door off its hinges pretty easily.

I keep an Ontario ASEK (Aircrew Survival Egress Knife) in the center console. It has a canopy breaker, ridges on the spine to let it ratchet like a can opener through aluminum, and a safe seatbelt cutter stored in the sheath. I think Gerber makes an ASEK too.

I'm also pretty sure I could kick out any of the windows in the plane assuming I could get positioned appropriately.

Im just getting used to getting in and out of the thing with my old knees.

The seats are just about level with the door sills; just as bad as my Ferrari which hurts every time I get in it.

(Grins not withstanding)

Back